Is it ok to take probiotics and and digestive enyzmes together? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Beginner

I had a uti and I took antibiotics for a week and it really screwed up my stomach. I felt sick for almost a month, then a girl at the health food store told me that I should start taking probiotics and that helped a lot. But I was taking udo's and those have traces of milk and i'm a vegan but I took them anyway because I was so desperate, then I remembered that kombucha is a probiotic so I ordered a case of it. I took it on an empty stomach on Wednesday and then I probably made a huge mistake and took a digestive enyzme pill and it really screwed up my stomach again. My stomach has been upset ever since and I can't really put my finger on what the problem is. Has anyone every had a problem like this before? Did I overdo it? I'm also taking iron vitamins and b-12. I seem to be super sensitive to everything, the antibiotics that I took were supposed to be the most tolerable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Beginner

Is the iron prescribed by a doctor? I'd quit taking it if not. It can lead to upset stomachs. I have not heard of digestive enzymes causing any upset though, unless there is some betaine HCl in them. That's stomach acid, and though it helps people with low stomach acid secretion, if you have sufficient, it too can cause upset stomach.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#3 Old 05-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Beginner

Oh you should look for Wildwood's Probiotic soymilk too, if you can tolerate soy. It's full of live beneficial bacteria, and it's tasty and vegan. I drink lots of it just because I like it. Most soygurts are full of live cultures too.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#4 Old 05-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Is the iron prescribed by a doctor? I'd quit taking it if not. It can lead to upset stomachs. I have not heard of digestive enzymes causing any upset though, unless there is some betaine HCl in them. That's stomach acid, and though it helps people with low stomach acid secretion, if you have sufficient, it too can cause upset stomach.

The iron isn't prescribed but I do need it because my iron has always been very very low, if I don't take it i'll started feeling tired and sick. It never bothered me before and its gentle iron, 20mg. I've never heard of the soymilk that you are talking about, where do you get it? I'm in England right now, but i'll look for it. I think the digestive enzymes are doing something because I took them again and my stomach was upset. Will probiotics still help my stomach digest food? I didn't see the betaine HCl, maybe I can try new ones there was one that I got from vegan essentials that were really great but I haven't been able to find them again here. I'll stop taking them and see what happens but i'm afraid too because my digestion is very slow.
#5 Old 05-15-2010, 11:33 PM
Beginner

If you want to keep taking the iron make sure you never take it on an empty stomach then. Maybe you already know that though. I don't think you'll find Wildwood stuff in England. Maybe they'll have a similar product. It's like a vegan version of kefir, a drinkable yogurt. I know a concentrated liquid supplement of non-dairy live cultures is available here, but I'm not sure about the UK.

Probiotics won't help your stomach digest food though. They take up residence further along, in your small and large intestines. Healthy bowels contain many pounds of beneficial bacteria actually. You really don't need to constantly take them. Live cultures will establish themselves once the antibiotics are out of your system, and reproduce themselves.

The amino acid glutamine will help rebuild your stomach lining. Taking some at bedtime on an empty stomach will help the stomach to use the glutamine before it gets used elsewhere. Ginger will relieve stomach pain due to its anti-inflammatory properties. So will peppermint, but peppermint can relax your esophageal sphincter and cause reflux, so if you know you are susceptible, stick with the ginger. Licorice is also very soothing and healing. Tea is good, but in a pinch, licorice candy will also work, as long as it contains real extract, not artificial flavor.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#6 Old 05-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Beginner

Concerning iron - see to get capsules that dissolve in the duodenun or lower intenstinum and not in the stomach.

You can take probiotics and digestive enyzmes together, won´t interact.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#7 Old 05-16-2010, 07:38 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar M Kirsch View Post

Concerning iron - see to get capsules that dissolve in the duodenun or lower intenstinum and not in the stomach.

You can take probiotics and digestive enyzmes together, won´t interact.

Does it say that on them? I've stopped taking vitamins because they have iron and it make me have errrrm troubles.
#8 Old 05-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Beginner

Yes it'll say "enteric coated" or maybe even "timed release".

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#9 Old 09-17-2014, 06:44 AM
Banned

yes, you can take both pills together but at different interval.

For more : Buy Creon Online
#10 Old 09-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Beginner

Smile It is perfectly fine to take probiotics and digestive enzymes together

It is perfectly fine to take probiotics and digestive enzymes together. You could perhaps be going through some internal cleansing, which is normal. You may need to do some colon cleansing.

For the iron, it would be much better to take chlorella as it is a natural, whole food. It is an algae that is also high in chlorophyll. Your iron pills could very well just be rocks that are not digestible by humans, but good for plants. This is what most over the counter minerals and vitamins are; or they come from animals. So if you would like a vegetarian, plant-based approach to your health, it would be wise to take the chlorella.

#11 Old 09-17-2014, 07:19 PM
Beginner

>> Is it ok to take probiotics and and digestive enyzmes together?

some companies have them together in their products.

ramsss.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page