DIY Mole Removal =D - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Beginner

How safe do you reckon it is to remove my own moles? This one on my necks a bitch, it grows this stupid hair and is a pain in the arse to shave.

For a forum full of hippies, this place sure does repress my freedom of speech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Beginner

Actual mole or a skin tag? If it's a mole, I'd leave it to the professionals, skin tags a do at home surgery on..lol
#3 Old 04-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Beginner

What's a skin tag?

#4 Old 04-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Beginner

Just a little growth of skin, no different color or anything, kind of floppyish. I've gotten them around my necklace line and have just cut them off. They bleed like a bugger, but then heel up fine. My husband thinks my diy surgeries are just wrong!..lol
#5 Old 04-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Beginner

I'm on about actual moles then, the little brown lumps.

So it's a no for DIY mole removal =?

Bummer, I'll perform some form of surgery on myself one day...

#6 Old 04-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Banned

do not do it.

firstly, it might bleed like a complete gusher and that'd not be remotely ideal. secondly, it'll hurt like hell and you might pass out, slip with the razor, and slit your throat or cut your nose off, or even just be stuck with a half sliced off mole dangling off your neck attractively and trickling blood everywhere (which'd be a wicked embarressing thing to go to the ER with). thirdly, i bet your plastic surgery skills aren't that great and you might end up with a lovely scar, infection, and or other nasty issue.

just take it to a doctor. they'll inject painkillers into you and scoop that sucker out good as gold. they know what they're doing. and if they screw up you can sue them. who you gonna sue if YOU screw up, hmmm?

if you wanna do minor surgery i'd work on getting some splinters, a pair of tweezers, and a magnifying glass.
#7 Old 04-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Beginner

Okay, so if I do, do this. Do it naked, lying down in the bathtub, and make sure someone else is there in case I faint.

I can't afford a doctor, well I wouldn't want to waste money just for mole removal, it's not cancerous or anything.

#8 Old 04-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =) View Post

Okay, so if I do, do this. Do it naked, lying down in the bathtub, and make sure someone else is there in case I faint.

I can't afford a doctor, well I wouldn't want to waste money just for mole removal, it's not cancerous or anything.

no. cos if you hit an artery you could have 20 people there and you'd still be entirely screwed and probably not live to brag about it. and infections can really really not be good.

i have a stupid mole on my neck that sounds very much like yours. its really not a huge deal to give it a quick swipe once in a while- i check it out when i'm yanking out my spare eyebrows and it adds a whole 5 seconds to that chore.
#9 Old 04-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Beginner

You have no faith in my blade skils do you.

I'll probably end up chopping it off accidently one day shaving when I get thicker neck hair anyways...

#10 Old 04-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Banned

Quote:

You have no faith in my blade skils do you.

nothing personal. i've witnessed firsthand the results of my own overambitious spontanious pokings, clippings, choppings, sandings, gougings with everything from a sewing pin to a knitting needle, yanking-outs, and other diy body-fixes. and afterwards- without fail, every single time i wish i'd left it the hell alone. on several occasions i've wished that for several days while wincing and limping, showing it to medical personelle, and/or fielding concerned questions from those around me who've noticed something looking mangled. and i've got pretty decent skills- i just get a bit keen and should know better.

Quote:
I'll probably end up chopping it off accidently one day shaving when I get thicker neck hair anyways...

probably 6 would grow back in its place. sods law.
#11 Old 04-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

I've had a mole and skin tag removed, the mole was more painful. Of course it was under the skin and required 8 stitches.... ouch.
#12 Old 04-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I've had a mole and skin tag removed, the mole was more painful. Of course it was under the skin and required 8 stitches.... ouch.

see alex! right there! ^^^ how good is your sewing-at-tricky-angles-while-screaming-in-agony technique, hmmm? hmmmm?!
#13 Old 04-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

That beotch hurt! Had to be poked 5-6 times in the arm to numb the area. I have a big scar too. It wasn't even cancerous, what a waste!
#14 Old 04-03-2010, 07:16 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

do not do it.

firstly, it might bleed like a complete gusher and that'd not be remotely ideal. secondly, it'll hurt like hell and you might pass out, slip with the razor, and slit your throat or cut your nose off, or even just be stuck with a half sliced off mole dangling off your neck attractively and trickling blood everywhere (which'd be a wicked embarressing thing to go to the ER with). thirdly, i bet your plastic surgery skills aren't that great and you might end up with a lovely scar, infection, and or other nasty issue.

just take it to a doctor. they'll inject painkillers into you and scoop that sucker out good as gold. they know what they're doing. and if they screw up you can sue them. who you gonna sue if YOU screw up, hmmm?

if you wanna do minor surgery i'd work on getting some splinters, a pair of tweezers, and a magnifying glass.

Oh my gosh. This post has me wrapping a blanket around my neck in fear. I'm fine reading/seeing body parks being hacked off and mauled, but anything abnormal having to do with the neck has me freaking out and covering my neck. xD

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#15 Old 04-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Beginner

Perhaps you could try liquid nitrogen. It is sold to remove warts, but freezing will kill all the tissue there, so it may work on a mole. It stings slightly but is not so bad. You may have to do it once, wait for the dead tissue to peel off, then do it again if the mole is not entirely gone.

Unless you decide to peel it off early, there should be no bleeding, and it will barely go beyond skin-deep if applied according to instructions. You will have a slightly painful lump there for a few days, however.
#16 Old 04-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaftLikeAFox View Post

Perhaps you could try liquid nitrogen. It is sold to remove warts, but freezing will kill all the tissue there, so it may work on a mole. It stings slightly but is not so bad. You may have to do it once, wait for the dead tissue to peel off, then do it again if the mole is not entirely gone.

Unless you decide to peel it off early, there should be no bleeding, and it will barely go beyond skin-deep if applied according to instructions. You will have a slightly painful lump there for a few days, however.

If that's the stuff my doctor used, it is SO painful and would probably leave a scar. I had my skin tag frozen off that way. OH WAIT, my Dad had that done on his head for cancerous cells, he was in extreme pain and his skin looked like it had 2nd degree burns. I wouldn't recommend it.
#17 Old 04-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Beginner

Whatever route you decide to go, please post photos/videos for us aspiring DIY surgeons
#18 Old 04-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

If that's the stuff my doctor used, it is SO painful and would probably leave a scar. I had my skin tag frozen off that way. OH WAIT, my Dad had that done on his head for cancerous cells, he was in extreme pain and his skin looked like it had 2nd degree burns. I wouldn't recommend it.

I've used this many times, both self applied and applied by a doctor. It's never left a scar and the pain is bearable - less than cutting something out anyway, as I've done that too. It probably can leave a scar, but I'm sure it's less likely than cutting.
#19 Old 04-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Ouch. I guess it depends where you do it and how much you apply. Or... you could just leave the mole alone
#20 Old 04-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Beginner

I imagine they would use more for cancer than something relatively harmless like a wart or excess skin.
#21 Old 04-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Banned

they freeze warts and verrucas off in england with the liquid nitrogen. :hide:
#22 Old 04-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Beginner

Surgery
#23 Old 04-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

Just a little growth of skin, no different color or anything, kind of floppyish. I've gotten them around my necklace line and have just cut them off. They bleed like a bugger, but then heel up fine. My husband thinks my diy surgeries are just wrong!..lol

You don't have to cut off skin tags. Just pinch off the blood supply briefly and they dry up and fall off on their own over the course of about a week. Moles though? Don't mess with them, man. You're asking for trouble.
#24 Old 04-04-2010, 07:53 PM
HNV
Beginner

Quote:

How do you know its not cancerous? Did you have it tested?

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
#25 Old 04-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Beginner

omg...I don't think it's a good idea at all. If there is a university close by they usually have clinics where you can see a Dr at a reduced cost.

Atame.
#26 Old 04-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Beginner

This is why you don't post this sort of stuff on the internet first - intelligent people will try to talk you out of it by showing you common sense and reason.

I once had a growth (about the size of a pea) in the back of my throat. It was stimulating my gag reflex and driving me INSANE. Since it was a Sunday, I went to the ER. The doctor got me an appointment in THREE GODDAMN DAYS with my otolaryngologist. I panicked a bit, not thinking I could handle three days, and asked why the doc wouldn't do anything about it right now. He said, and I quote, "It's a bleeding risk."

Right. That makes sense. Because if I started bleeding you might have to send me to the emergency roo--- WAIT A SECOND! I'm already HERE. Sweeeeeeeeeeet. Cut it out, pal.

He refused. Jerk. He did give me an Rx for Vicodin to shut me up, though.

So I went home, downed some Vicodin, grabbed a sterile scalpel and hemostat, picked up a flashlight and headed to the bathroom. I promptly remembered I only had two hands, and ditched the flashlight. Then I sliced the sucker outta my throat. It was awesome.

I <3 home surgery.

(My otolaryngologist was slightly-less-than amused when I waltzed into his office three days later and plunked the thing down on his little exam table and announced, "I brought you necrotic tissue!" Cool guy, though.)
#27 Old 04-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Beginner

youre officially insane.

Misstress of Fabulousness and Fashion! - *AHIMSA*
#28 Old 04-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFL View Post

youre officially insane.

you have an offical stamp or hand out certificates or something?
#29 Old 04-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Beginner

Haahha =)

I like you Jen!

I think I want Semicharmed to cut me too...

#30 Old 04-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Beginner

Quote:
you have an offical stamp or hand out certificates or something?

In fact, I do! But oh-gosh-darn-it, I just used my last envelope, so I wont be able to send it to you! Lol

On the other hand, did the OP follow through on the DIY surgery?

Misstress of Fabulousness and Fashion! - *AHIMSA*

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page