Blurred vision, headache, light sensitivity - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Beginner

So I had a weird experience last night, and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight.

It started with blurry vision at the bottom of my line of sight in my right (good) eye. When looking straight at anything, my vision was clear, it was just blurry along the bottom edge of my vision. It lasted about 5 minutes, then migrated to the top of my line of vision. At that point, there were also some spots and a wavy white light pattern for maybe a minute, also in the top portion of my vision. Then my vision cleared up and everything was normal. At the time, I thought it was just the one eye having the problem, but thinking about it later, my vision in my other eye is so bad normally that I'm not sure I'd have noticed if it was affected, too.

About 10-15 minutes later, I got a headache. Not a particularly bad headache, just a headache. I took some Tylenol, and it really wasn't bad at all.

Later in the evening, my eyes became extra sensitive to light. Like all the lights in my apartment seemed brighter than usual, and my eyes felt a little sore. Actually, my legs felt a little sore for no obvious reason, too. And my stomach felt a little "off". Not quite nauseous, but like it was heading in that direction. But that was about the time I went to bed, and I felt normal again in the morning.

Today, I was fine most of the day, but in the evening, I started getting minor headaches again, and my eyes felt a little sore again. But no blurriness or light sensitivity like yesterday.

From what I've read on the internet, it sounds like this might be migraines. The blurred vision sounds similar to descriptions of what some people experience before a migraine headache, and it did clear up for me before the headache came, like those descriptions. And light sensitivity and nausea are possible migraine side effects. I've never had migraines before, so this is new territory for me. I'm really hoping that's all it is, and that it's not something worse.

I've made an appointment for tomorrow with my eye doctor, just to be safe, and I already had an appointment with my primary doctor for next week for other reasons. I was just wondering if anyone here had any experience with this sort of thing.

--Fromper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Beginner

It does sound like a migraine. You can even get those symptems w/o feeling the pain of an actual headache and those are called silent migraines. It's good you're getting it checked out. Hope your feeling better.

I've heard a bit of caffine will sometimes keep a migraine away. If this happens again, it might be worth a try.
#3 Old 04-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Beginner

Well, it hasn't happened again. I'm having a hard time reading/writing this right now, because my vision's blurry from getting my eyes dilated at the eye doctor. The good news is that he gave me a clean bill of health. He made a point of doing more tests than with a normal checkup, looking for tumors, broken blood vessels, etc, and he said I'm clear. So I'm supposed to call him if it happens again. Otherwise, he agrees that it was probably just an ocular migraine.

--Fromper

#4 Old 04-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

It does sound like a migraine. You can even get those symptems w/o feeling the pain of an actual headache and those are called silent migraines. It's good you're getting it checked out. Hope your feeling better.

Yep, this is where I was headed while reading your OP, but Treehugger beat me to it, hence the quote.

Vegetarian since February 12, 2007
Vegan since October 7, 2008
www.NewEnglandVegan.com
#5 Old 04-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Beginner

Oooh!

yesterday I got hit with a reasonably bad headache, I couldnt concentrate or think properly and the TV looked like it was melting. I felt dizzy and sick too. literally I was sat on a bus fine then BAM had to stumble home. I think me and fromper had the same thing at the same time? it was proper rubbish and lasted til today. I was trying to read a magazine at lunch and the writing kept moving, and I can barely remember last night its all so hazy! it was proper rubbish. I was meant to go out and meet some friends but I couldnt really focus on anything

I have never heard of a silent migrane. I've got normal "switch off all the lights im locking myself in a dark room until this unbearable pain and the black dancing spots disappear" migranes before, but the silent type certainly fits yesterday and this afternoon!

</thread hijack>
#6 Old 04-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Beginner

yep,I was thinking migraine too.

Atame.
#7 Old 04-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Beginner

Sounds like you experienced what's called an "aura" before a migraine. It can be a visual, aural or even olfactory sensation that can last a good few minutes and will precede a migraine. Not all migraine sufferers get auras (I don't - thankfully!), but it's one of the common symptoms.

I suggest seeing a doctor about and see what you can do to treat your headaches. I wouldn't worry too much about it - at least you get some warning before the real pain starts!
#8 Old 04-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Beginner

Mmm, like the others I thought migraine. I once had a silent migraine while I was at work and a reoccurrence the day after. It was horrible, made me feel really pants for a couple of days. Glad you got it checked out though, no point worrying when there are people who can help.

Death is everywhere, there are lambs for the slaughter waiting to die and I can sense the hours slipping by, tonight - Depeche Mode
#9 Old 04-08-2010, 01:26 AM
Banned

I get chronic migraines, sometimes I experience what Fromper described but without pain, sometimes with extreme agonizing pain. Good idea to get it checked out.
#10 Old 04-08-2010, 06:46 AM
Beginner

As I said, the eye doctor agreed that it was probably an ocular migraine. The funny part is that the headache itself was nothing. Relatively minor for a headache. It was the blurry vision before and light sensitivity after that really freaked me out. I only have one good eye to begin with, so blurry vision in that one really scared me.

On the up side, I got new glasses because of all this. I was overdue for my normal eye checkup, and the doctor said my 5 year old glasses needed an upgrade to stronger lenses. I'm very happy with the new glasses - life is much clearer now.

--Fromper

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page