Should I be worried (yellow-ish skin)? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Beginner

Hello,

I understand this is my first post, hopefully you can bare with me and help me out. I came here looking for some answers but I am sure I will be sticking around. The Names David, but I have a gamer nickname as lethargic given to me by my friends. I have been overweight since the age of eight and just now at the age of 20 received the motivation to get healthy and into shape. I wanted to become a vegetarian and see how healthy I would become.

It is day 16, and I have already dropped from 235 to 224! I came down with a sinus infection which lead me to going to see my doctor yesterday. She said my skin looked somewhat yellowish and asked if I had changed my diet. I told her about going on this health spree and becoming a vegetarian she just told me that was nice and said It was probably just the sickness..

I am just worried it is not, although I really am unsure if my skin is yellowish at all. Is that something common in most vegetarians? I am eating cheese and peanut butter for protein daily, so that should be enough right?

Thank you for the help,

Lethargic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethargic View Post

Hello,

I understand this is my first post, hopefully you can bare with me and help me out. I came here looking for some answers but I am sure I will be sticking around. The Names David, but I have a gamer nickname as lethargic given to me by my friends. I have been overweight since the age of eight and just now at the age of 20 received the motivation to get healthy and into shape. I wanted to become a vegetarian and see how healthy I would become.

It is day 16, and I have already dropped from 235 to 224! I came down with a sinus infection which lead me to going to see my doctor yesterday. She said my skin looked somewhat yellowish and asked if I had changed my diet. I told her about going on this health spree and becoming a vegetarian she just told me that was nice and said It was probably just the sickness..

I am just worried it is not, although I really am unsure if my skin is yellowish at all. Is that something common in most vegetarians? I am eating cheese and peanut butter for protein daily, so that should be enough right?

Thank you for the help,

Lethargic

Yellowish skin or any type of illness is definitely not something that is "common in vegetarians." If you get better, and your skin remains yellowish, then you should get it checked out again. Also, look on mayoclinic.com or webmd.com to see if they have any information about yellowish skin. I bet they do!

Also, when it comes to deciding whether or not you're getting enough nutrition, I encourage you (and everyone) to track all the food you eat on sparkpeople.com . It's a great tool to know how much of nutrients and calories you need and are getting. It's also really helpful for weight loss.

And welcome to Veggieboards!
#3 Old 11-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Banned

being vegetarian doesn't make you go yellow. nor does lack of protein. if you're concerned about protein sources, there is really good list (and tonne of info) here: http://www.vegsoc.org/info/protein.html but i spect you're fine on that front- its kinda hard to not be ok with protein if you eat a varied diet- its in loads of things.

eating a lot of carrots (like a LOT) can make you go impressively yellow, and being ill can make you look all kindsa weird colours too. i'd not worry about it, but if you're still looking a bit yellow in a couple of weeks i'd go back to the doctor, and i expect she'll run a quick liver panel to check nothing odd (unrelated to being veggie) is going on in there. most likely you were just having a bit of a weird skin-tone day, or the light in her office was unusual, or your t-shirt wasn't the perfect colour for your complexion or something (put me in some colour tones and i look horribly yellow).
#4 Old 11-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Beginner

Yellow skin in anyone, including veg*ns, is not normal. If you get better and your skin is still yellow, go have it checked out. Also, if you are getting enough calories in per day and eating enough veggies and fruits, you do not need to eat specific foods for protein.

I'm sort of concerned about your rapid weight loss though and hope you're eating a well balanced diet. Maybe it's just because you were sick though.

Anyways, welcome to VB and feel free to ask us questions.

The Vegan ABC's: East Meets West, VEGAN STYLE! A blog detailing the edibles in the life of an ABC (American-born Chinese) vegan.
http://theveganabc.blogspot.com/
#5 Old 11-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Beginner

I've been vegetarian for 15 years and am as white as ever!

Turning yellow would worry me since that's a sign of liver problems. Vegetarianism isn't known for causing liver problems, so I certainly wouldn't blame the change in diet for that. If your skin doesn't return to a normal tone once you're better I'd go back to the doctor and ask to have blood tests done.

I wouldn't rely solely on cheese and peanut butter for protein since they're both really high in fat. Granted PB has good fat, but cheese has bad fat. Try incorporating legumes, whole grains, and veggie proteins like tofu, seitan, and tempeh into your diet for a better variety of healthier proteins.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 11-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Beginner

Hey There

Welcome to VB

I agree with everyone I will be Veg 20 Years In Dec and have never had these problems...just to be safe I would get it checked out....and I was gonna say the same thing R.C. did about Liver Issues.....Hope That You are feeling better soon
#7 Old 11-30-2009, 08:17 AM
Beginner

I appreciate the comments everyone, like I said I really didnt see any yellowish skin colors but if it becomes apparently obvious I will have to go in immediately.

Good to see another Dwarfer Hoodedclawjen ^_^ .
#8 Old 12-02-2009, 01:30 AM
Banned

i am a vegan and my skin colour is absolutly normal. vegetarian is not identified by it's skin colour. plz consult some dietician for this ........u could be missing out on some important vitamins , protien or minerals.
#9 Old 12-02-2009, 03:03 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Turning yellow would worry me since that's a sign of liver problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-anti-fur View Post

and I was gonna say the same thing R.C. did about Liver Issues.....Hope That You are feeling better soon

This.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#10 Old 12-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Beginner

There is a condition called caratonemia that isn't a big concern, but is often confused with jaundice. I know sometimes my skin gets an orange/yellowish tint when I eat a lot of foods containing vitamin A like carrots, greens, etc. especially on my palms and bottoms of my feet.

".......it can also be associated with the ingestion of many other yellow and green vegetables and citrus fruits. Carotene is a lipochrome that normally adds yellow color to the skin. With elevated blood levels of carotene, the prominence of this yellowing is increased. "

"

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1104368-overview
#11 Old 12-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Beginner

First off, welcome to veggie boards!

Yeah, if the yellow continues, I'd have it checked out. It's not a normal effect of vegetarianism, and while it could be nothing (and likely IS nothing if it goes away), it could be serious, like a liver problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethargic View Post

I wouldn't rely on cheese and peanut butter for protein. Yes, you can get protein there, but you ought to try eating different kinds of beans and such. Beans, seeds, nuts, legumes, and grains are all great sources of protein (fruits and veggies have some, too), and that way you can get a wide variety of amino acids (which your body will combine to make into proteins). Relying on just one or two foods isn't a good idea because foods have different amounts of amino acids, and you might not be getting enough of certain ones.

That said, it's very easy to get protein - it's in everything we eat! If you eat lots of different foods - nuts, seeds, beans, seeds, legumes, fruits and veggies of many colors, grains, dairy and eggs - you should have no problem getting all the protein you need.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page