Sharp, short-lived chest pain when breathing/ Chest Wall Spasms? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Beginner

I tried to make the thread title as specific as possible. From time to time, I get sharp pains in my chest that either occur as I'm breathing in or out. They typically don't last very long, almost like a cramp. The feeling itself feels sort of like a cramp or a spasm. It is a sharp, tight pain concentrated in one spot, and I can usually get it out by breathing deeply a few times. They do not necessarily occur in a particular place, but more often than not, it happens just south of my left boob.

I've had these episodes as long as I can remember, and I'm still alive, so I don't think it's anything serious. I do have anxiety-related chest pain, but what I'm describing in this thread feels different than what I have come to identify as anxiety-related pain.

I saw a doctor at Student Health about this last year when I had my panic attack, and she poked me a bit and decided that it was probably just chest wall spasms. I'm fairly certain that my blood pressure and stuff is normal, as at my last check-up my normal, good doctor told me that I was perfectly healthy. It's still kind of scary when it happens, and when it happened tonight, I considered briefly going to the Emergency Room just to get it checked out again. (I didn't really trust the doctor I saw at Student Health, not sure why. She gave me a bad vibe). Tonight, my mouth went dry I was so worried.

Does anyone else know the pain I'm talking about? My boyfriend has it too, so I figure if it's something as benign and stupid as chest wall spasms, many of you can chime in and tell me that I'm being stupid by worrying so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-26-2009, 08:31 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

i have these.

they are called chest wall spasms?

stupid.

well yeah, i have them and they are usually by my left boob.

**** the pint, she take blood by the liter. 

i'll never leave her, my vicious vixen. 

#3 Old 10-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Beginner

Yay, I feel better already.

I'm completely irrational sometimes.
#4 Old 10-26-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Yay, I feel better already.

I'm completely irrational sometimes.

i usually just breathe deep and lift my arms over my head and it goes away.

#5 Old 10-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Beginner

I never thought to stretch my arms up. I will keep that in mind.
#6 Old 10-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Beginner

stupid as chest wall spasms? You're funny. I've had them for quite a few years as well. I've felt them more from breathing in. The harder I breathe in, the more that cramp like feeling is. It goes away shortly. I don't think it's too much to worry about. You should do a search for chest wall spasms and get some info. Couldn't hurt.

The Big Bad.
#7 Old 10-26-2009, 08:50 PM

yeah what kind of name is chest wall spasms?

do people even know what their chest wall is?

i sure don't. i used to worry about these things but then gave up because my doctor said it was nothing.

#8 Old 10-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Beginner

Thanks for making this thread cause I get these every once in awhile and I didn't know what it was!

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#9 Old 10-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Beginner

I used to relieve them by bending over at the hips and stomach. I haven't had one for years though.
#10 Old 11-01-2009, 02:33 AM
Banned

I used to have these all of the time, but I haven't had them for a while now and I asked my doctor what they were and he had no clue. Now I know what they are.
#11 Old 11-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Beginner

I'm glad lots of people have them. It makes me feel better, even though I had been told they were harmless.
#12 Old 11-02-2009, 04:02 AM
Beginner

I used to get these really badly, not so much anymore, but sometimes. Doctor said it was intercostal muscles tightening due to stress/anxiety.

I swear I thought I was having a heart attack everytime, which didn't help the stress.
#13 Old 11-02-2009, 05:25 AM
Banned

Me too! I thought it was just me. Like others said, I used to get them more often than I do these days. I don't think I've had it happen in over a year now.
#14 Old 11-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Banned

Is there a medical term for this? Just curious, if anyone knows.
#15 Old 11-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

Is there a medical term for this? Just curious, if anyone knows.

Chest Wall Spasm is the most medical term I know of.
#16 Old 11-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Beginner

That's weird that you said it's due to stress/anxiety cause I don't feel like I have that much stress but maybe I have it and not really feel it? Anyways, this happens not often at all so...

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#17 Old 11-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

That's weird that you said it's due to stress/anxiety cause I don't feel like I have that much stress but maybe I have it and not really feel it? Anyways, this happens not often at all so...

To me, I think these are different from my anxiety chest pain. It's others who have said that they think theirs are anxiety-related. I think it doesn't have to be anxiety related at all, just like any other muscle spasm. I think it just happens. I couldn't even possibly begin to describe my anxiety-related chest pain. It's less acute and less intense.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page