Arthritis bumps on knuckles - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Beginner

My knuckles closest to the ends of my fingers have been hurting like mad all week and one of them looks like it's getting a bump on the side of it. My mom's fingers did this to the point that the bump kind of twisted her fingers. I don't want my fingers to do this!! I'm off to research to see if there is anything I can do to prevent it, but I thought I'd run it by you guys because you all seem to know lots about stuff Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Beginner

I'm sorry you're going through this.

What works for me is get off the dairy/eggs and get the diet as pure and as real-foods as possible. Get away from sugar, white flour and salt as well because that does nasty things to an arthritic's system (they're just as bad, if not worse than the funky chemicals that manufacturers put in food). If you drink any sort of fizzy drinks, get off those and get onto water or tea. If you can handle raw, then by all means incorporate some raw into your diet but imo, going full-on raw isn't necessary.

What I've found is that once the damage starts, there's no way to reverse it, but doing the above can very well slow it down to the point of stopping.
#3 Old 08-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Beginner

Thank you. I have been thinking of cleaning up my diet. I have far too many processed foods in them, that's just me being lazy. I can do better. I already had a goal of March for going vegan. I do well w/ baby steps and March was my vegetarian anniversay (this March will be my third year). I've also been researching raw foods, in fact, I have even gotten out my dehydrator and am looking up fun things to do w/ it. So that's not out of the question either. All good news! I never drink pop. I do have coffee every morning w/ way too much sugar in it. The good new there is, I love tea and don't need any sugar in that, so it might be a good time to make the switch. Thank you so much for the advice, I will definitely be incorporating it. I don't want hurting, narly looking joints if I can help it at all.
#4 Old 08-20-2009, 10:39 PM
Beginner

You're quite welcome. Arthritis is one disease I'd love to see stomped out as much as possible (no one should have to go through this sort of pain, IMO).

I'm starting into a raw a bit, too. I haven't gotten into dehydrating yet (my dehydrator is crap) but my blender and chopper are sure getting a good workout. In a lot of ways, it feels like going veg*n all over again - looking at recipes and feeling partly overwhelmed because there's so much to learn, but yet feeling excited to try everything at least once because it all looks so good. So amazing.

I know you said you do better with baby steps, but have you considered doing the PCRM 21 day vegan kickstart that's coming up? I've signed up because of the podcasts from Dr. Bernard but I've been pimping it every chance I get, too. I have a feeling there'll be a lot of great info that will really help out as well.
#5 Old 08-21-2009, 06:19 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

I know you said you do better with baby steps, but have you considered doing the PCRM 21 day vegan kickstart that's coming up? I've signed up because of the podcasts from Dr. Bernard but I've been pimping it every chance I get, too. I have a feeling there'll be a lot of great info that will really help out as well.

Doing it in baby steps was my original plan before my fingers started hurting, I'm ready, willing and able to jump right in now. I suppose this was a sign for me to get moving! Where do I find the info on the 21 day vegan kickstart, is it floating around here somewhere? *goes off to browse posts to see if I missed it, my smarter self tells me to check in the vegan section...lol*
#6 Old 08-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Beginner

Here's the thread about it and this is the link you follow to sign up.
#7 Old 08-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Beginner

Signed up and am very excited!!! Thank you
#8 Old 08-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Beginner

Just wanted to ask if you're sure that it's arthritis?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 08-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Beginner

no, not really....I'm just going on my mom's diagnosis. Mine sounds just like hers.
#10 Old 08-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Beginner

In that case, I would go to the doc! It's probably arthritis, but it could be all sorts of other things, maybe even some more treatable than arthritis.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#11 Old 08-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Beginner

Diagnosis before treatment. Go to a doctor.
#12 Old 08-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

In that case, I would go to the doc! It's probably arthritis, but it could be all sorts of other things, maybe even some more treatable than arthritis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufflon View Post

Diagnosis before treatment. Go to a doctor.

#13 Old 08-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Beginner

These bumps mya be anything. If it's a sign of osteoarthritis you're doing fine going veg*an. Best thin to prevent osteoarthritis is to move the joints and have alot of beta-carotin, vit. E and C in the diet. Eating not taking supplements!!!

But I agree with Mufflon - first make sure to know, what it is.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page