Strange wound, won't stop bleeding - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-11-2009, 02:41 PM

OK this is just weird!

Last week, my little guy came home on 2 different days w/ a pin hole mark on his taekwondo pants and blood spots everywhere (white pants...ugh!). We've been searching for the culprit there ever since.

Last night, it got ME! I didn't notice, so it didn't hurt, but someone said, "HEY You're bleeding!" I look down and saw a pretty big trickle of blood on my foot coming from the outside of my leg (thank goodness it wasn't anything girlie OMG) . I went into the bathroom to check it out and followed it all the way up to my upper thigh. Lots of blood. I scrubbed away the mess to find a teeny tiny hole they size that a thumb tack would make and the darn thing would NOT stop bleeding! I pulled up the drawers and got a bandaid, by the time I got back to the bathroom it was running all the way down my leg again. By the time I got home, the bandaid was soaked through and I went through 3 more and a yucky wash cloth trying to make this thing stop. Finallly I put an enormous size bandage on it stuffed w/ cotton balls and it finally stopped, like an hour after it happened. How could something this small have been so rediculous and what on earth could be getting us!

Took the bandaid off today (a whole day later), the bandaid was soaked and it was still bleeding just like it was yesterday. I don't get it, this is teeny, doesn't hurt and isn't swollen. I'm not taking any medication (my gram asked me about asprin).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Banned

ooooooh. i wonder if something is maybe using an anti-clotting agent on you. to spot bleeding you could try putting a big blob of petroluem jelly (vaseline) on the bleeding bit, and raising the limb. its kinda hard for blood to get through the thick oily gloop that is vaseline, which can aid keeping enough blood in one spot long enough for it to clot. and take it to a doctor if it won't stop, cos you can't go around leaking, and its weird.
#3 Old 08-11-2009, 02:54 PM

Do you think it could be something w/ my diet? Obviously, it's all veggies stuff...lol
#4 Old 08-15-2009, 06:39 AM

Most probably it's an insect bite, and it's the insect who uses an anticlotting agent to better suck blood. Could be a flea or a tick. Better find out if something is still crawling around your home. Maybe your son got it while training taekwondo.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#5 Old 08-15-2009, 08:25 PM

You don't say if you received these "bites" outside or inside? I know when we were in Alaska, our children came in from outside with blood running from little bites and it was from a tiny little fly called "white sox" It took some time for the bleeding to stop.

White sox will bite you if you are outside but if they get into your home, they will not bite you. They are too busy at the windows trying to get back outside.

For a tiny minerature fly to make such a big bite and have blood run seemed strange to me but it happened in August in Alaska where we were.

Edit: Here is a first-hand account of these bites:

http://redoubtreporter.wordpress.com...ive-you-buggy/
#6 Old 08-15-2009, 08:56 PM

Don't bites usually have swelling though? This didn't swell, itch or really act like a bug bite. It just looked like a tiny dot, a puncture type thing. It did finally stop the next day. It never did get a scab on it. I'm wondering if whatever did it just happened to hit a small vein or something...the amount of blood from such a tiny thing was just so weird.

This happened inside the taekwondo studio, not outside.
#7 Old 08-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Banned

a bite doesn't have to swell- swelling just means your histamine system freaked out a bit.

taekwondo,you said? maybe some sneaky little stealth assassin shot you with a poisoned blowdart?
#8 Old 08-15-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

a bite doesn't have to swell- swelling just means your histamine system freaked out a bit.

taekwondo,you said? maybe some sneaky little stealth assassin shot you with a poisoned blowdart?

Ya know...that thought had crossed my suspicious little mind. I shall seek out the little bugger.
#9 Old 08-20-2009, 09:50 AM

The only thing i've ever got that was like that was a leech. You don't live in the tropics, do you? :P
#10 Old 08-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Banned

so treehugger... did it stop bleeding yet? i mean, obviously you're still alive, which is good, but i was wondering? its a fascinating mystery, innit?
#11 Old 08-20-2009, 11:02 AM

LOL Yup, here I am, alive and well. It finally stopped the following day.

Major.Walrus, it couldn't have been a leech, well, we do have them up here, but they shouldn't be on the taekwondo rug....lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page