Organic food - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: How much of the food you eat is organic?
100% 1 1.15%
90-99% 7 8.05%
75-89% 16 18.39%
50-74% 18 20.69%
25-49% 16 18.39%
10-24% 15 17.24%
Less than 10% 14 16.09%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-14-2011, 05:33 AM
Beginner

http://www.currykerlinger.com/birds.htm
http://www.naturalnews.com/027971_pesticides_bees.html
Pesticides cause a lot of problems. How much of the food you eat is organic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-14-2011, 06:32 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

http://www.currykerlinger.com/birds.htm
http://www.naturalnews.com/027971_pesticides_bees.html
Pesticides cause a lot of problems. How much of the food you eat is organic?

While I do consume a lot of organic food, there are pesticides used in the organic industry. Organic does not mean free of pesticides.

I believe everything.
#3 Old 11-14-2011, 06:45 AM
Beginner

about half to three quarters depending on availability.
#4 Old 11-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Beginner

At home, it's close to 100% unless you count the occasional frozen dinner, but I don't worry about it when eating out.
#5 Old 11-14-2011, 08:10 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardsram View Post

While I do consume a lot of organic food, there are pesticides used in the organic industry. Organic does not mean free of pesticides.

This is true, but iirc they do tend to use the least caustic pesticides they can. Another very important aspect for me is organic also means GMO free.

If I have a choice I'll choose organic.
#6 Old 11-14-2011, 04:02 PM
Beginner

Almost all the produce I eat is organic, but packaged foods probably bring down that percentage.
#7 Old 11-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

This is true, but iirc they do tend to use the least caustic pesticides they can. Another very important aspect for me is organic also means GMO free.

Perhaps, but maybe it depends on what you mean by that (technically, they just do not allow synthetic pesticides):
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0011250

and while I agree about the GMOs, there's a good point in this article:
http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...599110,00.html
Quote:
Organic food is, by definition, supposed to be free of genetically modified material, and organic crops are required to be isolated from other crops. But as GM crops become more prevalent, there is little that an organic farmer can do to prevent a speck of GM pollen or a stray GM seed from being blown by the wind onto his land or farm equipment and, eventually, into his products. In 2006, GM crops accounted for 61% of all the corn planted in the U.S. and 89% of all the soybeans.

Quote:

Me too.

I believe everything.
#8 Old 11-14-2011, 08:27 PM
Beginner

about half....I prefer to eat what I grow....but when I am buying I buy whats on sale and where I can get the best value.

Peace

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#9 Old 11-15-2011, 05:30 AM
Beginner

For me, I eat veggie pizza occasionally and Chinese food. Everything else is organic so I'd say 95%+.
#10 Old 11-15-2011, 05:36 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardsram View Post

I thought that's part of what makes food organic. How would you know if a food uses pesticides?
#11 Old 11-15-2011, 06:11 AM
Beginner

Separate from the small amount of produce from my backyard, I buy only as little as about 25% of organic.

m8itcanw8.com
#12 Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 AM
Beginner

Quote:

I thought that's part of what makes food organic.

Here's a wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic...ther_organisms

Or you can read more about the organic standards in the USA:
http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/...C_CERTIFICATIO

In the USA, OMRI listed products are acceptable for use on organic farms (I'm not sure about in other countries).
http://www.omri.org/
There's a pdf listing at least some of the allowed pesticides:
http://www.omri.org/sites/default/fi...s_category.pdf

Quote:

How would you know if a food uses pesticides?

Grow your own or know the farmers who grow you food.

I think it would be challenging, at best, to determine which farm grew a given fruit or vegetable from the supermarket. If you did find the actual farm (not just a brand or name of a farm on the box, since many large farm companies purchase their fruits or vegetables from surrounding farmers and brand them as their own), you could determine when and if they sprayed pesticides.

I believe everything.
#13 Old 11-18-2011, 06:13 AM
Beginner

I wish I could afford to buy more organic produce, but the price is about three times higher here than regular fare. And I have an income that's below the national poverty line so I just can't afford to buy as much organic as I'd want. I try to buy discount organic products but the main amount of food I buy is regular supermarket fare. I just have no choice atm.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#14 Old 11-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Beginner

I buy as much organic as I can afford. Probably about half. There's some things that are just too expensive for me to buy organic at the moment (or possibly ever) - mostly frozen fruit, and there's other things that aren't available organic. But when I can get and afford organic, I do.
#15 Old 11-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigo View Post

I wish I could afford to buy more organic produce, but the price is about three times higher here than regular fare. And I have an income that's below the national poverty line so I just can't afford to buy as much organic as I'd want. I try to buy discount organic products but the main amount of food I buy is regular supermarket fare. I just have no choice atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiholic View Post

I buy as much organic as I can afford. Probably about half. There's some things that are just too expensive for me to buy organic at the moment (or possibly ever) - mostly frozen fruit, and there's other things that aren't available organic. But when I can get and afford organic, I do.

Definitely agree that organic is pricey. I'm the same--I buy as much as I can afford.

Less than half.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

#16 Old 11-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Not as much as I would like (cost). We grow some things like those fat, little carrots, tomatoes (though I don't like tomatoes so I don't eat them), several types of peppers, herbs, and greens, zucchini, and some other things. We also go to farmers markets and some of that is organic, but what we get from the store (fresh) is probably in the 25-49% area.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#17 Old 11-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Beginner

I buy what I can afford organic. There's a list floating around somewhere of foods you should buy organic and foods where it doesn't matter so much and I tend to go by that. Bell peppers, grapes, berries, apples if I can't afford those organic I don't eat them. Actually I never buy organic bell peppers at the store because they are outrageous. I need to just plant my own next year.

Broccoli, asparagus and avocados are all okay to buy nonorganic according to that list.
#18 Old 11-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Beginner

If it's about price have people thought about getting rid of something isn't necessary(cable TV, for instance) rather than buying non-organic food? If I had a choice between having cable TV and buying non-organic food or not having cable and buying organic food, I'd much prefer the latter. Then again, I see organic food as a much bigger issue than most people.
#19 Old 11-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Beginner

Cable TV . . .

It is the one thing I haven't given up in my attempt to save money.

My name is Wolife and I'm a TV-holic.
#20 Old 11-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Less than 10%. I eat a lot of my meals at work, then when I'm home, I'll eat a frozen meal which is only sometimes organic (if it's Amy's).
#21 Old 11-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Beginner

Quote:

If it's about price have people thought about getting rid of something isn't necessary(cable TV, for instance) rather than buying non-organic food? If I had a choice between having cable TV and buying non-organic food or not having cable and buying organic food, I'd much prefer the latter. Then again, I see organic food as a much bigger issue than most people.

I've already done that. My income is below the national poverty line, that doesn't leave much room for ANYTHING.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#22 Old 11-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

We all have our priorities, organic food isn't one of mine. I would rather eat non-organic than give up some of the very few minor luxuries I have.
#23 Old 11-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Corey Haim!! View Post

about half....I prefer to eat what I grow....but when I am buying I buy whats on sale and where I can get the best value.

Peace

I shop for the best value too. Sprouts sales are my absolute favorite thing ever If I have to chose between 69 cents per pound pears and $1.99-2.99 organic pears, I'm picking the 69 cent ones. I'm on a budget, tripling my shopping trip would make it so I couldn't afford to make the bills. I splurge occasionally if the organic is on sale, but only if it looks good. Sometimes our organic produce is terribly (greens are very wilted, apples are bruised, etc).

Today I discovered a health store that sells only organic produce and tons of awesome vegan food. I'm going to make a trip there again soon, with a budget.
#24 Old 11-22-2011, 05:54 AM
Beginner

Going by the book I'm reading "Here On Earth" by Tim Flannery, 220,000 people died from insecticide poisoning in just one year. Millions of humans have died along with billions of other creatures. Our war against nature has been catastrophic. It kills both the prey and the predator. The "pests" tend to reproduce quicker so it actually does no good in that sense. It makes food cheaper so that's the only benefit I can see. I don't think I'll convince too many people but I just thought some would like to know that.
#25 Old 11-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Beginner

I'm fortunate in that I can afford all organic and cable t.v. I'm pretty sure, if I had to choose, I'd give up t.v. but organic food isn't very expensive where I live, if you shop sales. It's often the same or less than non-organic.
#26 Old 11-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Beginner

Right now, I'm probably eating about 75% organic. It IS a strain on my $$ though. Soon I'll be moving to an area with less access to fresh veg/fruit. B/c of $$ restraints my organic consumption will probably fall to 25%.

http://www.marystestkitchen.com <--That's the blog I write. It's mostly about food. Some healthy. Some junky. All vegan.

#27 Old 11-26-2011, 02:07 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

Almost all the produce I eat is organic, but packaged foods probably bring down that percentage.

i don't seek out organic and don't eat enough fresh produce but it seems like it's getting pretty common and showing up in places i wouldn't expect.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#28 Old 01-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Except I did hear that they have to repeat dosing them more so really, is the environment any better off? Are we?

My organic consumption is rising, but in our little backwater part of Canada, there isn't a great call for it, so the supermarket selection is limited. I'm trying to learn to hit the farmers markets more.
#29 Old 01-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselsmom View Post

Except I did hear that they have to repeat dosing them more so really, is the environment any better off? Are we?

Do you mean that you heard using organic methods requires repeated application of pesticide/herbicide as opposed to conventional?

It doesn't. Organic agriculture is indeed miles better than conventional for a variety of reasons, many of them environmental.
#30 Old 01-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

i don't seek out organic and don't eat enough fresh produce but it seems like it's getting pretty common and showing up in places i wouldn't expect.

How did I miss this?

Organic means it's healthy!

I snicker when I see organic pancake syrup. It's made with organic corn syrup.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page