Possum killing - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-23-2004, 12:04 AM

I just want to know where other people (that support AR) stand on this.

Someone asked me my views when we were tramping through the bush.

I told him I really couldn't answer it.

But on one side.. I'm against the killing of them.. Since we introduced them here anyway..

But on the other side.. if we left them here (I guess this may be more NZ specific) within 30 years there would be no native bush, nor birds around.

So after thinking about it I think I kind of agree with possum killing. Well, it's not that I agree with it.. But I think it's better than letting them devour our native bush.

The guy I was talking to worked somewhere where he was incharge of some of it last year.. And he said the poision that they use IS humane.

So.. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-23-2004, 12:25 AM

just spay and neuter them all.

(no, actually I know nothing of the situation there so I'm afraid I can't say)
#3 Old 02-23-2004, 01:24 AM

#4 Old 02-23-2004, 01:29 AM

The poison they used where I was wasn't 1080 though.

Apparently it was more humane!
#5 Old 02-23-2004, 01:55 AM

I'm sure a solution could be found to control possum populations without killing them. I just don't get why killing is so often the "obvious" way of solving problems, and I mean problems with humans just as much as I mean problems with animals.

Besides, killing OBVIOUSLY doesn't work. Otherwise there wouldn't be a "possum problem" anymore, right? Without knowing much about these animals, I assume that their populations are self controlling, i.e. if you kill one, there will be a new possum taking its place. If you kill 100, there will be 100 new ones with the next generation. If you kill 1000, then they will make 1000 new babies.
#6 Old 02-23-2004, 02:01 AM

But if you don't kill them then there will be that 1000 plus the 1000 of their babies...
#7 Old 02-23-2004, 02:06 AM

No.. the way self controlling populations work is that there are always as many animals there, as can be supported by the environment. But I am theoretizing here, and offer no practical solution to the possum problem.

Truth is, I have no clue about possums, but I am against killing them. Just as I have no clue about the specifics of the human population explosion - but I am still against culling humans to solve our problem.

And this is the AR stance (since you asked )
#8 Old 02-23-2004, 02:25 AM

Yeah no that's cool. But what would you suggest be done instead?

Because if they are left to be on their own within 30 years there will be no NZ native bush left, and a lot of our native bird species could become extinct!
#9 Old 02-23-2004, 02:30 AM

http://www.kcc.org.nz/pests/possum.asp

Oh.. They aren't a problem in Australia..

Do you have them in America? Are they a problem there?
#10 Old 02-23-2004, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyKass View Post

Yeah no that's cool. But what would you suggest be done instead?

I have no suggestion! I'd like to leave that to the "experts" (and I have no interest in becoming one right now), I'm just against killing them, because I think that it's wrong to kill.
#11 Old 02-23-2004, 03:15 AM

humane poison. o.0

Yes, we have possums in America (a different breed though), but they're not generally seen as a problem. Here it's deer that everyone wants to kill.
#12 Old 02-23-2004, 06:25 AM
Veggie Regular

There are probably alternative methods.

I don't think it matters in and as itself whether there's native bush or not. I don't think it, in this case, matters much, in and as itself, whether there are birds or not, if we're talking about species variety. We could maybe say merely that the amount of harm done to individuals matters - and possums are individuals just like birds. Besides, killing some individuals to help other individuals isn't the moral thing to do in the case of human population, so why would it be in the case of non-human populations? Are we that much above the rest of the animal kingdom that we can be inconsistent in this way?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#13 Old 02-24-2004, 02:07 AM

Is it true that the possums are there because of humans?

Because if so, humans are indirectly killing other animals every day through the possums. I don't see a difference between direct and indirect killing.

I would hope that they could find a better way to handle the situation, though!
#14 Old 02-24-2004, 02:11 AM

Yep possums were brought here in the 1850's ish (Maybe before, maybe after.. I forget) to start a fur industry or something..

How dumb is that anyway? The whole reason they are here is because someone wanted to make a "lovely" jacket (or whatever) out of them.
#15 Old 02-24-2004, 11:06 AM

They should set out humane possum traps, with delicious possum treats and then sterilize each one then, just as Kpickell suggested.

I wonder if that would be possible?
#16 Old 02-24-2004, 12:14 PM

Sure it's possible. It's just not practical.

Spaying a possum would be at least a couple hundred dollars ($US) each. Killing a possum would require just a couple nickles worth of poison. I'm kind of doubting their budget would allow for a TNR program for possums. : /
#17 Old 02-24-2004, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal View Post

I have no suggestion! I'd like to leave that to the "experts" (and I have no interest in becoming one right now), I'm just against killing them, because I think that it's wrong to kill.

i agree, why is it up to us what lives and dies anyway? where do you get the idea that you can just choose to murder something? even if it is causing problems

some humans might kill your "native bush" but im sure you wont be eliminating them
#18 Old 04-13-2004, 12:19 PM

Awhile back, I rescued some baby possums whose mother had been hit by a car (she lived and they were reunited).

They were such adorable little creatures. They have opposable thumbs and prehensile tails. They look like little half-mouse half-monkeys. They were so sweet, they'd cling to my shirt or wrap their tails around my fingers when I held them.

I was late for work that day, and I told my boss what had happened. When I mentioned that they were possums, she said "Ugh, why didn't you just kill them?"

People seem to think possums are ugly, horrible animals whose lives have no value. If they spent some time with them, I think they'd change their minds.

LL
#19 Old 04-29-2004, 01:31 PM

Awhile back, I rescued some baby possums whose mother had been hit by a car (she lived and they were reunited).

They were such adorable little creatures. They have opposable thumbs and prehensile tails. They look like little half-mouse/half-monkeys. They were so sweet, they'd cling to my shirt or wrap their tails around my fingers when I held them.

I was late for work that day, and I told my boss what had happened. When I mentioned that they were possums that I was rescuing, she said "Ugh, why didn't you just kill them?"

People seem to think possums are ugly, horrible animals whose lives have no value. If they spent some time with those babies, I think they'd change their minds.

[Attatched example picture]
LL
#20 Old 04-29-2004, 04:31 PM
Banned

obviously, i don't agree with killing them. in the end, humans are the real problem anyway.

but, i am pretty big on exotic vs. native species - flora and fauana.

an invasive species will affect and alter the entire ecosystem. food chains are distrubed. all hell breaks lose.

a big problem in the US is wild pigs that were introduced. i know more about plants than animals though, as far as this sort of thing is concerned.

i hate killing anything. but i'll uproot stuff like honeysuckle because it takes over and kills native species.

look at kudzu in the southern US. dear god. it was brought over to be ornamental on fences. yeah, that worked well.

or japanese beetles. they are horribly invasive. and some other bug that causes blight (forget the name). practically all of the chestnut trees are wiped out because of that introduced bug.

so, its not a minor problem. invasives are a huge issue. and not an easy one. but, the possums dont deserve to be killed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page