Newfoundland - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-11-2003, 04:24 AM
Administrator

The place to dicuss local topics and to meet others in your area.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-18-2003, 08:52 PM
Beginner

Anyone out there in Newfoundland? I find it difficult to find veg*n food where I live. We get Yves and that's about it. Every now and then I see a new brand but it seldom stays long. I have to go to large centres like St. John's or Gander.

Isabella
#3 Old 05-20-2003, 07:59 PM
Beginner

Me! Isabella, I think we're the only ones here currently living in Newfoundland. I know there are a few transplated Newfies here though.

I'm lucky in that we have a pretty good selection of specialty veg*n stuff in St. John's/Mt. Pearl, although I do get jealous seeing everyone talk about all the great stuff that's available in the US and even the west coast of Canada.

One of the newer Dominions here has a pretty good natural foods section, but the best selection is actually at the new Dominion and Sobey's in Mt. Pearl. I only discovered that a few weeks ago. I was so happy the first time I went there! They have quite a bit in their natural foods sections, including a few things I thought I'd never find here!

All of the new supermarkets opening up these days seem to have natural foods sections. It's amazing, a few years ago you would never have found anything like that here!
#4 Old 05-21-2003, 08:08 PM
Beginner

I was at the Pearlgate Dominion last summer and was amazed at the selection. The Gander Dominion is pretty good, too but that's an hour away and we rarely go there during the school year. They are building a new Dominion in Grand Falls-Windsor (which is closer) and I hope it's got the natural food department. I was in Halifax at Easter and dragged back Silk soy milk. LOL
#5 Old 05-29-2003, 01:03 PM
Beginner

If I get another job, I'm hoping to go home to visit my parents in Deer Lake (near Corner Brook) early in 2004 (ie when the seat sales begin). I'll probably drag back a small cooler of veggie dogs and tofu, just in case.

I don't mind eating hunted/fished food that my dad does himself (but only my dad), so I wouldn't be totally starving anyways.

Dominion...that's a store I haven't heard of in a long time...
#6 Old 05-29-2003, 08:04 PM
Beginner

Krista, you won't have any trouble getting tofu and veggie dogs in Corner Brook. Maybe we can get in touch when you're home.

Isabella
#7 Old 05-29-2003, 08:08 PM
Beginner

Geez, all the people here from West of "The Crossroads"

I'm not familiar with various health stores in other areas, but as Minibean pointed out... St. John's / Mt. Pearl had several places that, if not dedicated entirely to "health food", still had at least a decent selection within the store itself.
#8 Old 05-29-2003, 09:18 PM
Beginner

Hi Robert, What part of the "Rock" are you from? I'm in Central.

Isabella
#9 Old 05-29-2003, 09:35 PM
Beginner

Isabella... I'm a townie.... grew up right in the city (Bishop's College area), then lived in Mt. Pearl for a few years before moving away.

Most of my family is still there around the St. John's area though... and I have a sister who manages a company in the Carbonear area.
#10 Old 05-30-2003, 10:13 PM
Beginner

Isabella,

I'd love that! But, let's not get our hopes up hehe I haven't been home in 5 years, due to money, and if I don't get this job, it maybe another 5 years

Of well, at least my parents don't say anything about it.
#11 Old 05-31-2003, 06:40 PM
Beginner

Hi Robert, I'm a transplanted townie...moved to central sometime just after the dinosaurs roamed the world LOL

Krista it was just a thought....but keep it on the back burner!!! I work full time as a teacher so my time off is limited....but....who knows what may materalize....Veggie ROCK Reunion...LOL

Isabella
#12 Old 11-19-2003, 11:51 AM
Beginner

Hey I have to go to a meeting in St John's so I will be there for three days next week. Any suggestions as to where a vegan might find food? Any veggie friendly restaurants?

Thanks
#13 Old 11-22-2003, 05:44 PM
Beginner

Hmm...no vegetarian restaurants here , but there are some places where you can get vegan food.

India Gate - They have a few vegan items. Their pakoras are yummy (none of the dips for them are vegan though). What I know is vegan: veg pakoras, onion bhajis, chana masala, rice pillow. There is probably more but those are the only items I've specifially asked about.

Quintanas/Casa Grande - There are things here that you can modify to be vegan, they seem willing to make whatever substitutions you ask for. Unfortunately their soy cheese isn't vegan. The flour and corn tortillas are vegan. Make sure to ask for the vegan refried beans because their regular ones aren't vegan. You can also get vegan Mexican rice (again, you have to request it). The Orange-Almond salad is good when they have good lettuce, but you have to understand that this is a rarity here!

Also, be specific about what you want (and don't want!). I have found chunks of chicken in my enchilada from Casa Grande (next time I would ask that they keep it away from meat during preparation) and last time we got Quintanas the chef put soy cheese (with casein of course) in my changa "to do me a favor" even though I had not asked for it (I has asked to sub refried beans for the cheese). Anyway, the food is pretty good if you can keep them from screwing it up! I like the refried bean poquitas dipped in jalepeno chutney (never occured to to until now to inquire about the chuntney's vegan-ness though - hopefully it is!)

Magic Wok Eatery (402 Water St) - They have some vegan stuff on their menu, don't recall what though.

Kemmount Restaurant (75 Kenmount Road) - Chinese. They have a vegetarian section on the menu and several of the items on it are vegan.

Auntie Crae's - This is mostly a store but they have a deli counter with good couscous salad (when they're not out of it!)

Then there's always a good old Subway Veggie Delight.

I also found this: http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.ne...wfoundland.htm but it doesn't say anything about vegan stuff. There are a few places on it that I haven't been to, so I don't know about those. Used to love Pasta Plus but I haven't been there since I went vegan so again, I have no idea about what they have for vegans.

Found this too: http://www.vegeats.com/cache.cgi?www...dland/all.html It's really old though (1997) so it may not be very accurate. Mary Jane's doesn't even exist anymore.

I assume you don't need to know about supermarkets? (since you'll only be here for 3 days). I would advise you to bring plenty of breakfast/snacky stuff as I doubt you'll get anything vegan for breakfast at any of the hotels here.
#14 Old 11-24-2003, 07:39 AM
Beginner

Michael,

I wanna know please, what is so different about having a Newfoundland thread for its own sake and a Tasmanian thread for its own sake!!...

Much to the scorn and bemusement of ZeaLanders I ranted about this by misplacing my request for it in the NewZealand thread (and may do the same in the Australia thread too where it is more appropiate since of course the fact is I should have posted there as Tasmania is more applicable To OZland, than NZland). lol

So anyway, my point is I would still assert hope for a Tasmanian thread in its own rite, like NewFoundland has here, since like NewFoundland, Taz its only a short distance offshore (OR from the bulk of the mainland in the case of NFL) but still provides unqiue interest all of its own and deserves its only thread I feel (even though as Robert points out, it is part of Canada) ....Anyhoo, Please think on it!...
#15 Old 11-24-2003, 08:28 AM
Beginner

NEWFOUNDLAND

NEWFOUNDLAND AND MAINLAND CANADA (Labrador).

--------------------------------

TASMANIA

--------------------------------

HOKKAIDO

Hokkaido (of Japan) is also another example of an island I am enthusiastic about that I very much like, (but just for interest here)...

Hokkaido is an instance of very outlandish state/geographical region and is near enough an island and makes up Northern Japan but could easily be spoken about in a thread of its own merit, since it is quite distinctive compared to the southern mainland Japan.
#16 Old 11-25-2003, 05:01 PM
Beginner

#17 Old 12-03-2003, 02:54 AM
Beginner

#18 Old 12-07-2003, 12:21 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegAnaconda View Post

Michael,

I wanna know please, what is so different about having a Newfoundland!

Newfoundland is the 10th Canadian Province. It is the same as Ontario, New Brunswick or any other province in canada (just not as much available work as some of the others). Labrador is a mainland property now owned by Newfoundland.
#19 Old 12-25-2003, 06:43 AM
Beginner

Okay, thanks Robert,

Today I found NewFoundLands only AR site from someone who posted on Vegsource and here it is.. http://aln.2ya.com
#20 Old 01-03-2004, 07:09 PM
Beginner

Heading home to Newfie in 2 weeks

My mom is making me cook and bake for her while I'm there hehe We're going to buy most of the groceries in Deer Lake (since it's a small town and I want to support the economy), but we'll head down to Corner Brook and get some of the tofus and soy milks that she wants to try.
#21 Old 05-01-2004, 08:32 AM
Beginner

In case anyone was still wondering about places with vegan food, check out International Flavours. It's a bit pricey, but they some some really sweet dishes and spices there. Also, Food For Thought on Duckworth has a prime selection of organic foods, and there are a lot of vegan friendly food there as well, including the yummy baked goods that Staff of Life bring in!
#22 Old 05-01-2004, 10:50 AM
Beginner

Yay! Another St. John's veggie person!

I've heard of International Flavours but I've never been there. I'll have to check it out.
#23 Old 04-17-2005, 05:53 AM
Beginner

Hi. I'm going to be moving to Grand Falls-Windsor in June, and was wondering whether anyone knew the availability of vegan items such as soy milk, tofu, and things like Yves ground round. I'm not much into the fake meats, but I love my tofu! And I have a funny feeling I'm going to be bringing a couple of tubs of vegan margarine from Toronto with me!

Anyone here live in that region?
#24 Old 04-17-2005, 09:16 AM
Beginner

I live in St. John's and have never been to Grand Falls, but I can tell you that you won't find vegan margarine anywhere in Newfoundland. So, bring it if you must have it!

Tofu and Yves stuff I'd say probably won't be a problem...not sure about soy milk. It should be available, but the selection might be limited. (the only stores here that carry a large selection of brands are ones with a natural foods section, not sure if there are any in Grand Falls). I'm really just guessing though.

Isabella who used to post here lived near Grand Falls, I believe. I haven't seen her post in a long time though. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I wasn't sure anyone else would reply, I think I might be the only Newfoundlander who is an active member...
#25 Old 04-17-2005, 09:49 AM
Beginner

I was going to suggest finding a Canadian Superstore or a Loblaws in Grand Falls-Windsor but I just did a search and they don't have one in all of Nfld. President's Choice makes a great soy milk and other veggie stuff. In each province, stores that carry PC stuff go under a different name (Extra Foods out here in Saskatchewan) so maybe do a search for PC products and you can come up with the name of the stores in GF-W.
#26 Old 04-17-2005, 01:38 PM
Beginner

President's choice makes a soy milk? I'm in Manitoba and I've never seen it. I'll have to look again the next time I'm there. They do make a great Teryaki tofu, they also make a lactose (dairy) free, non-hydrogenated margarine. It does have D3 though...
#27 Old 04-17-2005, 02:15 PM
Beginner

I think the refridgerated PC soy milk is vegan, but the aseptic one has D3. (That darn stuff is in everything, it seems!)
#28 Old 04-19-2005, 10:11 PM
Banned

You'll find Yves in Grand Falls. Deer Lake has tofu and veggie dogs In Corner Brook, there's a better selection at Sobey's then there is in Edmonton!!!!!
#29 Old 04-19-2005, 10:52 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon toast View Post

President's choice makes a soy milk? I'm in Manitoba and I've never seen it. I'll have to look again the next time I'm there. They do make a great Teryaki tofu, they also make a lactose (dairy) free, non-hydrogenated margarine. It does have D3 though...

Yep, they have regular, vanilla and lowfat. I love the vanilla. I'm not a stickler about D3 so I don't know if it's in there or not. It's in tetrapaks located in the canned milk aisle. If you buy three at a time, at least in Regina, they're only $1.99 per carton.
#30 Old 05-02-2005, 11:34 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshTart View Post

You'll find Yves in Grand Falls. Deer Lake has tofu and veggie dogs In Corner Brook, there's a better selection at Sobey's then there is in Edmonton!!!!!

First of all thank you to everyone for writing me with answers! Awesome! I'm moving from Toronto and know that it can be hard to find specialized vegan items in smaller places. I guess I'll be bringing some stuff along with me.

I can't wait to get to Nfld. I've never been-closest I've been in NS.

Freshtart-are you from the Grand Falls area?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page