VeggieBoards banner

New Brunswick

57K views 272 replies 41 participants last post by  Kristy Collicutt 
#1 ·
The place to dicuss local topics and to meet others in your area.

#4 ·
Really? And that one person is me? Geez... well, I've not been looking around too hard for other NBers, but you'd think you'd find a couple at least. I'll see if I can get my vegetarian neighbour to come to VB...

Maybe it's because the area tends to be pretty conservative and there are just fewerer veg*ns around.

#5 ·
One other aside from yourself, actually. I regret having lost touch with him. He was from the Rothesay area, I think.

I know a couple of vegetarians offline, but have never seen a group or felt a sense of community the way that I have online with others from outside of the province. It's a shame, though. You're right that it's fairly conservative here.

#6 ·
Rothesay, huh? That's where I live! Well, Quispamsis anyway... it might as well be the same thing. Maybe it *was* my neighbour, or the one person I converted who actually lives a couple streets away from me. Or maybe just somebody I don't know. Sorta funny

I think you're right about that community thing. Maybe it's just easier online because it feels like there are a lot more of us.

On another note, have you ever been to that vegetarian/vegan restaurant in Moncton? I hear it's really good... gotten some excellent reviews.

#14 ·
Ah finally...that was really driving me nuts!

now maybe you could answer another question I have...

Nutritional Yeast, Is Red star the only brand that has B12 or is all NY equal?

Also do you know of where one might purchase red star in this city.

I have been purchasing NY from the superstore. It is in a container from Purely bulk. I have been trying to find out more about the company/products, but the website has been down for weeks. (maintenece...
)

TIA

#15 ·
That's the same nutritional yeast that I get too. New superstore up in the valley, you mean? Better selection than the old store, but there's only the one type as far as I know. The bulk barn also has nutritional yeast, but I don't know whether it's different or not. I'm not certain about the b12 in them because I usually just take a suppliment for it and don't worry. There's engevita NY, which is a powdered form as opposed to flaked. I've never seen it around, though the bulk barn stuff seems more powdery than flakey.

Bulk barn has some *awesome* stuff that's usually hard to find. I was going to check for agar agar next time I'm there, but I know they have a flavoured vegetarian jello that's just like real jello. Sort of expensive is the only problem. I know they have lots of nut butters, egg replacers, falafel, TVP, "so soya" paties, and generally lots of nice things.

Do you know anywhere in town that you can buy seitan or tempeh? I've been looking around, but nothing's seemed to materialize.

#16 ·
I go to the rothesay ave superstore, and I do alot of shopping at the bulkbarn, so lucky to have that store! I did buy NY from them once. I think it seems more powedery because of the way it is treated, being bulk and all. I asked them if they could tell me what brand it was, if any. They seemed pretty clueless and said all they know is they get everything from Ontario. Purely bulk is in Ontario so I am guessing they use the same source as superstore.

I do take B12 Supplements but my little ones do not and my hubby tends to forget stuff like that

I haven't come across any seiten or tempeh, but I do have a recipe for seiten and it seems easy enough. It is in my garden of vegan book, if you would like it I would love to share.

#19 ·
Don't worry about the hateful thing! It's not the most veg-friendly city. I hear we might be getting an actual vegetarian restaurant sometime in the future though. Sarsparilla is the name they're looking at. Plus the indian restaurant down in market square has some good veggie selections too.

I'd be very grateful for the seitan recipe

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by space cadet View Post

Hmmmm do they by chance have a website?

I wish I could get to Fredricton. This city is rather limited. Sorry for sounding hateful.
I don't think that either of them do have websites. They're small independantly owned health food stores. I've seen Red Star at a small chain store at the King's Place Mall, too. I don't remember the name of the place - they mostly sell supplements. I'll have to swing by this week to check; there might be one closer to your own location.

#22 ·
Homemade Seitan--

1 Cup instant Gluten flour

1 Cup Water

1/2 Tsp Braggs

6 Cups Vegetable stock

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, water, and braggs. Mix quickly with your hands to avoid lumps. Knead gently until combined and slice into bite-sized chunks or stripes, remembering that seitan will expand a little when you cook it. In a large pot over high heat, bring vegetable stock to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, add gluten peices, and simmer for 30-45 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and use accordingly. Makes approx. 3 cups.

#25 ·
Bulk barn does indeed have gluten flour! I made a big bunch seitan last night... first time trying it for me and it was quite tasty. I used Kreeli's breaded seitan/tofu to prepare it and it definitely makes high marks. I'll have to do a bit more digging to find other good recipes though. I'll have to resist the urge to deep-fry. That would be *very* good, but bad...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.