VeggieBoards banner

Where do you buy your Vegan food and products in Toronto?

20K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Friendly Carrot 
#1 ·
I arrived 3 months ago to Toronto. I could find vegan products. However I would like to know where you buy yours. Because I may not know every places where I can find thoses items.

PLease if you are used to buy to some places let me know!

thanks

#2 ·
Hi, I don't know what sort of foods you want. I usually just use large grocery stores to buy vegan products. Personal care items I get from body shop. No Frills has many vegan items. For example I buy bagels there, a vegan soup with black beans, Yves vegan mock meats, salsa, tomato sauce, noodles, even Daiya cheese, enriched rice milk, olives and so on. Canadian superstore and Loblaws also have many products but I have only been there a few times. They also have Tofurky. Metro also has Tofurky. Soome of them also have vegan cereals. I use one that is multigrain and has fruits and nuts. I also use highland farms and Costco (where I get food bars for an extremely reasonable price). If you need vitamins you can look into Jamieson which does not test on animals and says it is vegetarian when it is (you can also read the ingredients) which can be found at any pharmacy. If that is not enough you can go to vegetarian oriented health food stores to buy specific vitamins.

You might find this useful if you don't have it already:

http://veg.ca/directory/list/restaurants

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

#3 ·
Hello,

thank you for your answer. indeed I noticed that I can find a lot of vegan products to Loblaws and others grocery stores. However I didn't find vegan cheese to No frill's. Or I may have not paid attention enough.

Then, I have been to Wholefoods and The big carrot. I found so many interesting products and with good quality. And I also go to Essence of Life in Kensington Market.

Thank you very much,but please could you let me know in which no frill"s store have you found Daiya cheese please?

#4 ·
Hi,

I live in Mississauga and the No Frills at (Rathburn and Tomken) has it. I assumed they all have the same products. Anyway it should not be too hard to find it. I think I first found Daiya at Canadian Superstore at Dundas at Erindale in Mississauga. They also had Vegenaise I believe which is really great though fattening. I believe the person who told me about Daiya cheese mentioned it was at Loblaws near Downtown possibly in Bathurst but I am not sure. There is also a Planet Organics in Mississauga and they have quite a few vegan products including Sheese (which is my favourite vegan cheese, but I have not been there in a while so I am not sure they have it anymore). But the prices are quite a bit higher there than at a supermarket. So I think you should go exploring large grocery stores in your area. It takes a lot of patience though. But they usually have a vegetarian section (sometimes two) so check there first :)

This might work for Daiya:

http://www.daiyafoods.com/where-to-buy

You are welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by saretta View Post

Hello,

thank you for your answer. indeed I noticed that I can find a lot of vegan products to Loblaws and others grocery stores. However I didn't find vegan cheese to No frill's. Or I may have not paid attention enough.

Then, I have been to Wholefoods and The big carrot. I found so many interesting products and with good quality. And I also go to Essence of Life in Kensington Market.

Thank you very much,but please could you let me know in which no frill"s store have you found Daiya cheese please?

#5 ·
I do not live in MIssissauga but in downtown. thx you for your information. indeed, in the major grocery stores there is a place dedicated to vegetarian products.

it is just in order to know if we could find a vegan store. but I think there are enough places where to find them.

have a nice day

WebRep

currentVote

noRating
noWeight

#6 ·
There was a vegan store near downtown at Bathurst I think but I believe it closed down. I don't think there are any other ones. Even there though I did not find many useful items I could not find at regular stores or other health food stores. I also buy stuff online, especially nutritional supplements. It is usually cheaper even with shipping.

Thank you, you too

Quote:

I do not live in MIssissauga but in downtown. thx you for your information. indeed, in the major grocery stores there is a place dedicated to vegetarian products.

it is just in order to know if we could find a vegan store. but I think there are enough places where to find them.

have a nice day

WebRep
currentVote

noRating
noWeight

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post

There was a vegan store near downtown at Bathurst I think but I believe it closed down. I don't think there are any other ones. Even there though I did not find many useful items I could not find at regular stores or other health food stores.
Yep, Panacea closed :( but there is a health food store really close to where they used to be called Herbs & Nutrition that's really good. I go there for any especially weird vegan stuff, but Toronto is a very veg-friendly city and you can find mock meats, tofu, tempeh, etc. in most grocery stores. My main grocery store is Superfresh at Bloor and Walmer. So cheap!!!

I live too far to go very often, but Kensington Market is probably my #1 favourite place to grocery shop. It takes more time than going to a big-box store but they have everything, at a much better quality and price than anywhere else.

#9 ·
I do not know superfresh but maybe next week end I will have a look.

In kensigton market have you ever been to Essence of Life? because for most of the products it is where it is the cheapest! as for foods and cosmetics

WebRep

currentVote

noRating
noWeight

#10 ·
It's ok. the flavour is not too strong but people seem to like it.

Quote:

hello;

I found the daiya cheese in the store The big carrot and also in Loblaws. is it tasty?
Nice! I buy most supplements online. they tend to be cheaper and I buy every year or so in large quantities. I have 9 protein powder containers which are good for 2 years (I will probably take 1 to finish them).

I have never gone to Kensington Market but I might when I am in the area. I guess the only thing I have found hard to get is prepared soups and frozen foods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatricious View Post

Yep, Panacea closed :( but there is a health food store really close to where they used to be called Herbs & Nutrition that's really good. I go there for any especially weird vegan stuff, but Toronto is a very veg-friendly city and you can find mock meats, tofu, tempeh, etc. in most grocery stores. My main grocery store is Superfresh at Bloor and Walmer. So cheap!!!

I live too far to go very often, but Kensington Market is probably my #1 favourite place to grocery shop. It takes more time than going to a big-box store but they have everything, at a much better quality and price than anywhere else.

#12 ·
I have been to have a look to superfresh this afternoon. I havd never paid attention or noticed that it was a grocery store with organic products. it is nice however prices are high contrary to others healthy/organic stores where I am used to go. then there is not a lot of organic veggies.

but it is a good place to know. thanks

#13 ·
Noah's is a health food store with several locations, I get some good stuff there. Some things are expensive, but others are cheap like these great Indian wraps they have which are about $3. There is one at Yong/Eglinton, one at Bloor/Spadia and a few other places.

Also, some great restaurants. I am near Bathurst/Eglinton and The Loving Hut is there and is very good. They have another location too, I think. There are also some great places in the new food court at Eaton Centre, a cafe type place with muffins and salads, an Amaya Express (Indian food) and so on.

#14 ·
thx you! I still know noah's and I have even the reward card! I like this store and I agree with you some products are cheap and others very expensive contrary to others stores. But I like the fact that there is a lot choice especially for the bulk.

in the eaton center food court there is one restaurant which is in the middle and there are a lot of grains bowls. however I do not remember the name

#16 ·
Hi Sareta, welcome to Toronto! We mainly buy non-produce items in Kensington Market as it has the best prices overall. We buy most of our produce at farmers' markets as we like to eat mainly locally grown foods and there are lots of farmers' markets around town with organic or pesticide-free things. I frequently go to the one on Wednesday afternoons at Bloor and Borden streets in the parking lot just south of Bloor, but there's also a great small market on Thursday afternoons in dufferin grove park at dufferin street south of Bloor.. We have enjoyed Daiya "cheese" the most, it it isn't nutritious - I don't think any of them are. It melts fairly well and adds a nice flavour. Along with essence of life, we also shop at tutti fruiti, just north of essence of life. We find that eol often has outdated things, and that many of their frozen foods have quite obviously thawed then are refrozen. For example, we just bought some Gardine frozen food and found that they were in the shape of the packaging. Some of their frozen things are freezer burned. Tutti Fruti is great for nuts and. A few other items. I also shop at the new store up on Bloor just west of Bathurst called Herbs and Nutrition. I've never had a problem with any of their things although their nuts aren't labeled that well - I keep thinking I'm buying raw nuts then when I taste them I find out that they're roasted. There is also an organic-only produce store in Kensington on Augusta about two blocks south of college on the east side. They usually have loud music playing outside. During spring and fall most of their things are from local growers, but they are all labelled well so you can tell where it's from. There's also a store on Baldwin right near mccaul across from the Vegetarian Haven, the best vegan restaurant in town, and the Vegetarian Association which is above Vegetarian Haven. Let us know if you find any great places in your explorations.

#18 ·
thank you so much for your answer.

but know I 've choosen my favorite stores. they are Wholefoods market, The big Carrot and Noah's. I also buy some groceries to Loblaws and Metro.

I have been to organic stores in kensongton market but sometimes I have doubts about the products. Don't really sure they are organic and sometimes stores aren't very clean and we have to pay attention to the expiry date.

thank you again

#24 ·
You can find amazing vegan cheese from Field Roast called CHAO. It's the most authentic vegan cheese I've tried and melts really nicely. You can find great organic/vegan options from Healthy Planet. I think they have a more specialty selection of foods and they always have some sort of sale going on. Plus they have a points system that actually pays you cash back. Highly reccomend

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.