Hair Dye Not Tested on Animals - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-16-2007, 05:01 AM

Hi there, I'm looking to dye my hair for the first time in about 10 years and I'd like to use a product not tested on animals. It would also be good if it's a natural product.

Does anyone know of any, or tried any that are good?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-16-2007, 09:18 AM

You could try using henna. You can find natural henna in different shades. I've seen it in my local health food store and in Whole Foods.
#3 Old 03-16-2007, 11:15 AM

Stargazer/Directions (not natural but non-toxic and vegan, and smell like my little ponies haha)

they wash out kinda quick though (about 2-3 weeks with washing hair every other day i find) and most of the colours er, arent really natural. theyre mixable so you could make ones though!
#4 Old 03-16-2007, 11:21 AM

As far as I know Revlon doesn't do any animal testing and they have some hair dye in most retail stores.
#5 Old 03-16-2007, 11:28 AM

I use Herbatint.

I even use the colour on the girl that's on the main page!

http://www.herbatint.co.uk/ (it's a UK site but I've purchased it in both Canada and the US).
#6 Old 03-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Banned

#7 Old 03-22-2007, 06:10 AM

Thanks everyone, I'll check those out!
#8 Old 03-22-2007, 02:30 PM

http://ca.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/ca...xpand=Haircare

eta: they seem to be sold out online but if you live near a store it's usually in stock there.
#9 Old 01-30-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmifb View Post

As far as I know Revlon doesn't do any animal testing and they have some hair dye in most retail stores.

Revlon doesn't test on animals

http://search.caringconsumer.com/sea...ct=0&Dotest=-1

But beware of l'Oreal and Garnier and Clairol (Procter & Gamble), the three main drugstore brands. Also anything Johnson & Johnson... clean & clear, except for your conscience.

These hair colours are not tested on animals:

http://search.caringconsumer.com/sea...b_57&Dotest=-1
#10 Old 02-01-2009, 12:25 PM

thanx for all the info
#11 Old 10-01-2012, 10:19 PM

Whole Foods sent reps to Vegan Mania in Chicago to spread propaganda and hand out evaluations asking if we were sick. They also have been seen on video not co-operating with Non-GMO labeling. My friend calls it them "becoming lobbyists themselves" because they have gotten so big. They so far to my knowledge have not donated any money to fund the prop. 37 campaign either.

#12 Old 10-11-2012, 07:49 AM

I don't know where you're from, but if you're from the UK, Superdrugs own brands of hairdye are vegan and cruelty free.

I've never tryed them myself but apparantly they're very good. They're cheap aswell!

#13 Old 10-12-2012, 08:13 PM

If you haven't used anything yet, I would also suggest henna! It doesn't go well over previously dyed hair, I first used it when my hair was somewhat lightened and it was flame red! In a good way, though. Anyway, it's so cheap and natural. If you have white hairs, they will take on the color of the henna completely, the rest just being tinted. I use the natural henna, and my white hairs are quite red- like it's been highlighted.

edit: this thread's from '07!

#14 Old 12-23-2012, 05:06 PM

Revlon DOES test on animals....

#15 Old 12-23-2012, 05:07 PM

PETA has a list on their site that will tell you which companies and which products are tested on animals....Revlon is listed as a company that tests on animals...

#16 Old 12-23-2012, 09:08 PM

LOL Silva, I wrote my post and then realised the '07 too late. Oh well....HAIR DYE TALK!

If you do choose Henna, then just be aware it's permanent in the best/worst ways.

It basically is meant to lock into the hair, which is great. But it can make it difficult to dye over with anything other than henna and there could be issues with peroxide later on.  (I looked into Henna a while ago)- http://www.mookychick.co.uk/health-beauty/hair-styles/removing-henna.php#removinghenna2

A semi-permanent that I use is Manic Panic. It covers well, though if you want the loud colours you'll need to peroxide your hair first. It's okay, but it does take work, like not going near anything white that you can rub off on after a shower.... I also turned my boyfriend's arm purple. It was a total accident. I promise :P

John Frieda isn't vegan (At least, I don't think) but didn't test on animals as of about 5 or 6 months ago. It's an easy do-it-at-home kit.

#17 Old 10-26-2013, 02:25 AM

Revlon now sell to China where they by law apparently must test on animals. this is only been discovered recently. But yea.. :/

#18 Old 10-26-2013, 02:26 AM

Revlon now sell to China where they by law apparently must test on animals. this is only been discovered recently. But yea.. :/

#19 Old 10-26-2013, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Daisy View Post

I know, right?! Revlon was my go-to make up and hair brand, until I found that out.

Luckily though, there's a range of hair dyes that are coming out that are cruely free. Delorenzo are meant to be pretty great, I've never used it (they don't seem to have a purple....) but I've heard good things.

#20 Old 11-29-2013, 05:34 PM

Hey I think this is great! GUESS WHAT! I'm a hair dresser and I am all about animal free products! Go to and Aveda salon and get your hair done! Aveda is animal cruelty free all the way! 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page