Drowning a bird - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-02-2003, 04:52 AM
Beginner

Our cat is almost a year old, and she loves to kill birds!

So one time she had attacked one and it was nearly dead, there were feather all over our back garden and so the poor thing was lying have dead and so my dad got a bucket of water and put it in and held it down in the bucket until it died of drowning! I was really upset at my dad but I suppose he did it for the things sake because it was suffering, but I personally would have left it for nature to take its course and let the thing die in a more natural way.

What do you think?

What would you have done?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-02-2003, 05:13 AM
Beginner

I couldn't have done that either. I would have left it to nature as painful as it is to see animals suffer. It's a tough one.
#3 Old 07-02-2003, 05:20 AM
Beginner

I'd say it would be better for the animal to die instantly, but I couldn't do it myself.
#4 Old 07-02-2003, 11:06 AM
Beginner

I just wouldn't have been able to do it. I'd feel so guilty, and to watch it die..ahh no!
#5 Old 07-02-2003, 11:37 AM
Banned

I feel ya. Although it's a cat so can't we feel less-bad about it because it's natural instinct? Natural death or not, it's less pain for the bird, no?

Years and years ago some kids in the 'hood were pounding a garden snake with stones. It was still alive, but in a bad way. I got my mom's garden shovel and made the oldest of the kids lop its head off and throw it in the creek.
#6 Old 07-02-2003, 12:14 PM
Beginner

Drowning seems like a scary death to me... I am OK with putting the bird out of its misery, but there must have been a quicker, more humane way to do it. I wouldn't want to die that way (being held underwater).
#7 Old 07-02-2003, 12:26 PM
Beginner

Buddha teaches us that even to "put an animal out of its' misery" is killing. It is wrong. This is the course of nature.
#8 Old 07-02-2003, 12:40 PM
Beginner

Drowning is a quicker death than lying around with your guts hanging out for minutes or hours.

My cat left a mouse half-dead. There was no hope of it recovering, so I put it in the snow to freeze to death. I felt this was the most painless end I could give it. I was not brave enough to just break its neck.

I think the bird-drowning man was trying to do what he thought best. Maybe it wasn't truly the best thing to do -- maybe there was a better way to do it -- but it sounds like his intention was to put it out of its misery. I can't find fault with that. It takes a certain kind of strength to do that.
#9 Old 07-04-2003, 12:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by 808veggie

Buddha teaches us that even to "put an animal out of its' misery" is killing. It is wrong. This is the course of nature.

Ending suffering is wrong? Eh, whatever. Guess that's why I never put any stock in what Buddha supposedly said.
#10 Old 07-04-2003, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by 808veggie

Like every religion that is based in pre-history (and many that aren't) the actual "original" teachings are marred by centuries of interpretation. What the Buddha teaches and what he taught cannot be assumed to be the same.

Based on my education in Buddhism, it would seem to me that the problem here is which is worse: Killing an animal qua murderous act, or allowing undue pain and suffering by showing depraved indifference in letting it die "naturally". I believe, if the animal is NOT in "natural pain" (i.e. is in pain at the hands of another human being) it would be acceptable to put it out of its suffering. I believe the Buddhist thing to do is to meditate briefly on the matter, and then act.
#11 Old 07-04-2003, 10:21 AM
Beginner

You go, Mr. Power!
#12 Old 07-04-2003, 10:52 AM
Banned

According to veterinarians the most humane way to kill an animal, in the absence of special equipment, is stun and exsanguinate. Knock it over the head until it is unconscious, then cut open a main artery until it pumps all its blood out. There are main arteries in the neck. If you cut it's head off you should have to go thru a main artery first, in order to do so.
#13 Old 07-10-2003, 02:57 AM
Beginner

I really wud never wana die of drowning so i wud never drown it i think maybe the best thing is to leave it or unless its gona take foever to die and its really really suffering cut its head off

I know how ya feel tho my cats catch birds mice rats and moles alll the time

ITs nastyest when i find just the heads lying around and when my cats are playing with it !! ugh !
#14 Old 07-16-2003, 11:33 AM
Beginner

Microwave ovens work great for dispatching badly injured birds.
#15 Old 07-16-2003, 06:42 PM
Beginner

I remember when my parents had to 'put down' my mice. They had huge cancerous lumps and one day they just 'ran away'. *sniff* I believed them until a few years ago when my brother's mouse had the same problem and my dad drowned it (AND bawled his eyes out while he was doing it ). Mine were put in a paper bag and they just ran out of air.

I could do it although it would hurt - I'm a supporter of euthanasia though so...
#16 Old 07-16-2003, 09:08 PM
Banned

I always take our rats to the vet. Having been put under general anesthesia a couple of times it is pretty much painless.
#17 Old 07-16-2003, 09:29 PM
Beginner

I don't even want to ask how you know this Roy ... sick sick sick
#18 Old 07-17-2003, 03:55 AM
Beginner

So, how long before Roy is banned? Oh, wait. I should start a new poll thread for that.

Soilman's post is correct, which is why the slaughterhouses are supposed to operate the way they're supposed to operate: Stun and exsanguinate.
#19 Old 07-17-2003, 03:12 PM
Beginner

Why should I be banned?

Banned for telling the truth?

I know of a egg farm that uses a heavy-duty microwave to dispatch sick hens. And I'll show pics if you want.
#20 Old 07-23-2003, 09:41 AM
Beginner

Don't fool yourselves. This cat is not part of nature and doesn't deserve the chance to kill wild, native birds. Your cat should be kept indoors all the time. Feral cats are estimated to kill one Billion (with a B) wild birds annually in the US. One source estimates 217 million wild birds in Wisconsin alone.

Feral cats are non-discriminatory killers too. It doesnt matter if its a Kirklands warbler or a house sparrow.

The bird you drowned might have been part of an endangered species and certainly was an endangered individual.
#21 Old 07-31-2003, 02:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by soilman

Knock it over the head until it is unconscious, then cut open a main artery until it pumps all its blood out. There are main arteries in the neck. If you cut it's head off you should have to go thru a main artery first, in order to do so.

Umm... Pummel and sever are the most humane ways?? Without special equipment?? I don't know about you guys, especially butcherman here, but I'm probably going to have a hard-enough time figuring out if I've pummelled enough, let-alone figuring out where to do the surgery...
#22 Old 07-31-2003, 02:22 PM
Beginner

I have read that the "ordinary human's" ability to determine whether an injured animal is going to survive or not is not very good. So one should really think before killing, but if the animal is in horrible pains, the best option is of course putting an end to its misery. (I don't think it matters what Buddha is thought to have said on the subject, although I'd think letting a being suffer unnecessarily cannot be a good thing in the view of Buddhism.)

And yes, cats should be kept indoors and walked outside. If they have enough "entertainment", like people or other cats playing with them, they don't have to use their hunter instinct on birds or other animals. And a bell in the cat's neck is a good idea, it warns the potential "victims".

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#23 Old 11-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Beginner

Are u kidding? Drowning an injured animal is more cruel than letting it die naturally! We are here on earth to help each other. Yes, be sure the animal is terminal not just knocked silly for a minute i.e. by bumping into a window. if it isn,t coming around or has been physically injured by another animal attack or if blood is present then put it out of it's misery like so: wrap the bird in paper towels & put in a plastic grocery bag. Now this sounds harsh but it's the kindest thing u can do; aim very carefully for the head & hit with a brick on top of another brick as hard as u can. U won't see the gore & the poor little animal won't have a clue as to what's coming. I have to do this for lizards sometimes when my cats get them & birds too. Do NOT try this on a large animal as u will probably have to hit many times & the humane thing is now gone. U will do more harm than help, call the ASPCA or humane society & explain the urgency of a suffering animal & let them come deal with it. It is not always convenient to take a small wild animal to a vet to be put down so man or woman up & do it urself. I cried the first couple times I had to do this but knew I helped one of Gods creatures go over kindly. Some have said to put it in a bag & hold it to ur cars tail pipe. This is ok if done right but almost always goes wrong. Left there for more than one second will burn the poor animal & too much fumes too quickly will choke it to death (a horrible way to go) putting it in a bag with plenty of air in it & securing it closed will kill it by co2 build up but this takes a while & the suffering lingers. The kindest thing to do is smash the head carefully & quickly. Remember the animals feelings at this point are more important than ur own, we know what's happening when we are hurt but an animal only knows what it is feeling: terrified & hurting so be gracious & help it to die painlessly.
#24 Old 11-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Beginner

p.s. microwaving an injured animal is the cruelest most ruthless thing I've ever heard!! Shame on whoever said that! If u wouldn't do it to ur own pet then DON'T do it to a wild critter either you creep!!
#25 Old 11-05-2013, 09:05 AM
Beginner

One last thing, if u know how to wring a birds neck efficiently then that is of course quick, painless & very humane. But be sure u know what ur doing cuz if done wrong the animal will go paralyzed, into spazms & die badly. Also don't be surprised if the head comes off in ur hand. I still swear to u all that the best way is to smash the head in a bag, there won't be any mistakes if u aim carefully & the animal is sure not to suffer!
#26 Old 11-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Covered in Waves

Hi there kittykat, this thread is about 10 years old. All people involved are no longer here.

“Failing to fetch me at first, keep encouraged. Missing me one place, search another. I stop somewhere waiting for you.”
Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
#27 Old 11-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Beginner

Whoops, thanks River. But maybe someone will read it & be helped. In any case my heart was in the right place right?
#28 Old 11-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Covered in Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittykat32 View Post

Whoops, thanks River. But maybe someone will read it & be helped. In any case my heart was in the right place right?

Absolutely, I just wanted to let you know. The culture of the board was VERY different then, omnis were allowed on the board and many were VERY combative.

“Failing to fetch me at first, keep encouraged. Missing me one place, search another. I stop somewhere waiting for you.”
Walt Whitman, Song of Myself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page