VeggieBoards banner

Swedish Berries & Veg Candy

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  varun 
#1 ·
Hi I am 16 and have been veg*n for just over 2 years. I have been aware for a while that swedish berries are vegan but am always so anxious when eating any candy for the fear of gelatin. A friend offered me a candy today and it was from a candy shop in Canada called the Nutty Chocolatier. It was a swedish berry but I am wortief that it is from a different company that isn't gelatin free even though I know the chocolatier has gelatin free candy but have been being really hard on myself for taking the candy in the possibility that it wasn't vegan. Another vegetarian friend of a friend had the candy as well and I know this seems minute and irrational but I'm just si frustrated when companies are not very open or honest about what is in their product! I know we will never find happiness if we try to be purists but I could use the support.

#2 ·
This problem will never be solved until its made mandatory to reveal the ingredients to the buyer. Additionally governments should also think of putting a logo in products identifying them as vegan friendly. Many chewy-candy do have gelatin in them, if not other non-vegan products like milk or egg. The only way to overcome this situation is to buy all you favourite candy yourself, after fully enquiring whether they are vegan or not, afterall why live with the doubt of eating gelatin wrongly when your intention is every bit the opposite?

Lastly I'm saying what you know already, don't fret about the past.. just learn from it. Doing research as to which foods to avoid is the best way to prevent mistakes in the future. I have always been a vegetarian, never touched meat but when I was a kid a neighbour who'd been just back from Australia gave me small pack of marshmallows and I ate them thinking it was candy (no ingredient labels). I was just about a teen back then and only many years later did I realize the mistake. Its done, I cant do anything about it except learn which foods to sternly avoid next time. Veganism is a journey, so don't think of minor infractions as an end, it can only help you get better at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.