True Companion Animals - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-15-2012, 12:09 AM
Beginner

Are there any animals that will hang around without being chained or fenced, are vegan, and don't require "training" to do so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-15-2012, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

Most animals will start hanging around if you feed them. You could get a bird feeder or put out food for bunnies or something.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 04-15-2012, 12:47 AM
That doggie in the window

I have a chipmonk that's been living under my house for 5-years. Does that count?

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
#4 Old 04-15-2012, 05:46 AM
Beginner

Dogs don't need chains or fences, if they see you as a member of their pack, they will never abandon you.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#5 Old 04-15-2012, 07:59 AM
Beginner

:3 Yeah, I would like to feed squirrels. A dog might fit the description, but I don't have the time to give a dog the attention they need. A baby bunny ran away from my lawn mower the other day, and that got me all excited about little furry animals again. Do you think if I put out food for them, bunnies would let me pet them?
#6 Old 04-15-2012, 08:17 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobilis of Wind View Post

:3 Yeah, I would like to feed squirrels. A dog might fit the description, but I don't have the time to give a dog the attention they need. A baby bunny ran away from my lawn mower the other day, and that got me all excited about little furry animals again. Do you think if I put out food for them, bunnies would let me pet them?

No I don't think the bunnies would let you get that close. The squirrels in my yard are pretty tame, unless my dachshund is outside.
#7 Old 04-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Beginner

If you don't have any other pets, then maybe consider rabbit-proofing your home and adopting a rabbit. They don't really need to be caged if there aren't any house threats (although I'm pretty sure people have cages for them to sleep in, etc), they're vegan, and there are many in need of homes.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#8 Old 04-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Beginner

Rats! They are super friendly, like little cat/dogs. They follow you around, come when called, they get very attached. They're technically omnivores, but dude, they're rats, they adapt to whatever their environment provides. My rats had cages, but they were mostly because I had males and females. Each group spent several hours outside their cages each day. If I had rats now, and no other pets, they'd be free roaming.
#9 Old 04-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Beginner

It sounds like you're craiving connection with animals but you don't have time to rescue a dog. The SPCA near me lets volunteers come just to hang out and socialize with the cats, bunies, ferrets, and other small animals. You can come whenver you want without having to schedule it or do any real work. Maybe you have that sort of option where you can just spend some time with some animals who would appreciate your affection, but you wouldn't have to adopt them or worry about feeding them nonvegan food. It's worth checking out the local shelters to see if they have those kinds of flexible volunteer programs.
#10 Old 04-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Beginner

Ferrets dont need to be caged. My friend has 1 and when shes not home she leaves it in a room with the door shut but she can climb all over the place in there and when my friend is home the ferret roams the house freely, and she gets along with her dog.
Also the animal shelter idea is a good one. At the spca you just have to sign up to be a volunteer and you can come and go as you please. You can play with all the animals and love on them which they need.
Oh and ferrets are technically omnivores i think, but my friend says her ferret doesnt like meat. She only likes the fruit and vegetable flavored treats and stuff. She is a vegetarian ferret.
#11 Old 04-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Beginner

I read once about an Australian guy who had found a kangaroo baby (joey?) and took it in until it was bigger. It hangs out around his house, usually in the backyard, but never leaves and it isn't caged or fenced in. They're apparently good buddies.

Other than that, like someone else said, a lot of animals will come around if you feed them. A lot of animals are available for adoption which is an awesome option as well.
#12 Old 04-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Beginner

Ferrets aren't omnivores, they're true carnivores, like cats.
#13 Old 05-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Taming wild animals is not a good idea anyway. Not that you could tame a wild rabbit.
#14 Old 05-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Beginner

I have this fantasy of having a room with a door with a doggy door going outside, and bunnies can come in through it and hang out with me in there and leave when they want. I have seriously considered volunteering at a wild animal shelter where they rehabilitate injured animals, but I'm kind of afraid of the euthanasia part. I like rats, but they scare me a bit; they can actually bite through a toe nail. I read a story about a lady who let her hamster roam the house with her cage open, and that would be awesome. I think the most realistic thing for me to do is try to get squirrels to come up to me and eventually get a dog sometime in the future.
#15 Old 05-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

I read once about an Australian guy who had found a kangaroo baby (joey?) and took it in until it was bigger. It hangs out around his house, usually in the backyard, but never leaves and it isn't caged or fenced in. They're apparently good buddies.

There is (was?) a deer that was like that too. They found him as a little baby, abandoned (or maybe his mom was dead?) and when when he grew up, they put a red collar around him and let him go in the woods around their house. He still stopped by and hung out but the people were so worried a hunter would kill him. I can't remember his name. I think after a while he stopped showing up though.

Edit: I don't believe this is the one I'm talking about, but it's simliar.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#16 Old 05-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Beginner

Quote:

I have this fantasy of having a room with a door with a doggy door going outside, and bunnies can come in through it and hang out with me in there and leave when they want. I have seriously considered volunteering at a wild animal shelter where they rehabilitate injured animals, but I'm kind of afraid of the euthanasia part. I like rats, but they scare me a bit; they can actually bite through a toe nail. I read a story about a lady who let her hamster roam the house with her cage open, and that would be awesome. I think the most realistic thing for me to do is try to get squirrels to come up to me and eventually get a dog sometime in the future.

If you get wild animals too used to humans, they might come up to the wrong human.
#17 Old 05-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Beginner

I'm not responsible for the actions of other humans. It would be unfortunate, but I'm not going to punish myself for what other people might do in the future.
#18 Old 05-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I'm not responsible for the actions of other humans. It would be unfortunate, but I'm not going to punish myself for what other people might do in the future.

This is the same logic people use to feed ducks at the beach.

The only wild animals I'm comfortable with feeding are seagulls, which in my area are domesticated beyond repair.

#19 Old 05-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:

If you teach a wild animal human = food and then it loses its fear of other humans who may not be so nice, you are responsible.

Dogs really don't mind fences, leashes and living in houses with humans. I do not understand how a domesticated dog or cat living with you is not okay because it's supposedly unfair to the animal in your eyes, but taming wild creatures is an okay thing to do.
#20 Old 05-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

This is the same logic people use to feed ducks at the beach.

Same here. People feed the ducks all spring and summer and fall, even when told not to because they don't fly south when it turns cold because of it. Then they are stuck here in subzero temperatures and of course all the bread tossers don't want to come out and finish what they started then.

I toss out stale food for the raccoons and squirrels myself. But I toss it in an area where they'd naturally come across it themselves and I dont let them associate food with me and I certainly don't try to get them to let me get close.

Humans have done such a bang-up job with dogs and cats. We don't need to make any other creature dependent on us.
#21 Old 05-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

If you teach a wild animal human = food and then it loses its fear of other humans who may not be so nice, you are responsible.

I disagree, but I appreciate the sentiment.
Quote:

Dogs really don't mind fences, leashes and living in houses with humans. I do not understand how a domesticated dog or cat living with you is not okay because it's supposedly unfair to the animal in your eyes, but taming wild creatures is an okay thing to do.

I don't know where you got that idea.
Quote:

Same here. People feed the ducks all spring and summer and fall, even when told not to because they don't fly south when it turns cold because of it. Then they are stuck here in subzero temperatures and of course all the bread tossers don't want to come out and finish what they started then.

I toss out stale food for the raccoons and squirrels myself. But I toss it in an area where they'd naturally come across it themselves and I dont let them associate food with me and I certainly don't try to get them to let me get close.

Humans have done such a bang-up job with dogs and cats. We don't need to make any other creature dependent on us.

If I were teaching a deer to come up to people, I would agree with you more, but I don't see much harm in letting rabbits get comfortable around me, as they live in town, and there are probably not going to be people trying to catch them for food.
#22 Old 05-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I disagree, but I appreciate the sentiment.

And you're the one who thinks that keeping fish in tanks is animal slavery?

#23 Old 05-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastyca View Post

Sorry, what?

If this is to me, I don't understand what you're asking.
#24 Old 05-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:

And you're the one who thinks that keeping fish in tanks is animal slavery?

Are these positions somehow contradictory?
#25 Old 05-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Are these positions somehow contradictory?

Simply in the fact that you claim others to be hypocrites while yourself blatantly ignoring the side effects of your hypothetical lifestyle choices and blaming them on others, yes.

#26 Old 05-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Beginner

All you did was call me a hypocrite. You didn't explain why I supposedly am. Also, I've never called anyone on this board a hypocrite.
#27 Old 05-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Beginner

Quote:

All you did was call me a hypocrite. You didn't explain why I supposedly am. Also, I've never called anyone on this board a hypocrite.

Was it not you then? I might be mistaking you for someone else. I thought you went off on someone in a fish-keeping thread.

And you're a hypocrite because you act all high and mighty about people who have pets and claim them to be responsible for the domestication of animals, then go and say that you wouldn't take responsibility for wild animals you domesticated.

#28 Old 05-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Beginner

Quote:

If you get wild animals too used to humans, they might come up to the wrong human.

Wild animals are a lot smarter than this, actually. Even the goldfish and koi I used to have in my pond knew the difference between myself and strangers. They would hide from everyone but me. They wouldn't even show themselves for food. And the baby squirrel I found and raised til he was big enough to set free used to pee on anyone who came in his room. He didn't want anyone in there but me. The minute someone else came in to see him he would get up high and pee on their heads.

I'm not arguing for people trying to tame them. But some people really are animal magnets, and the wild animals will come to them. I have a menagerie living in my garage, and I don't do a thing to get them in there. I used to take them outside when I found them, but it was no use.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#29 Old 05-03-2012, 03:49 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Was it not you then? I might be mistaking you for someone else.

Well it wasn't me.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#30 Old 05-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Beginner

I think it was someone else. I am fine with pets under certain conditions and don't have a problem with domestication. I think you just remember disagreeing with me from my introduction thread. I am against desexing and feeding pets meat.

Somebodyelse, that's awesome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page