Earthlings - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Beginner

http://www.earthlings.com/

Don't know how many of you have seen this, but I saw it mentioned somewhere else on the forum briefly so decided to watch it myself. I cried... alot. But it just proves how in denial some people are, and how we can all make a difference if we tried. Please watch it and send it to all your friends, veg*n or omni, People need to know about these things and not sit around trying to deny it.

"Men who consume the flesh of beasts consume also the fear of the slaughtered victims, the fill of which will be the virus of discontentment." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Beginner

I've seen it. I don't foreward it unless requested.
You can't just shock people, make them cry, and swear they'll never eat meat again. Why? Because they probably will eat meat again, and have a scar growing over that part of their brain that was affected.

Meat is mainstream. It's murder, but it's common, accepted, what's for dinner, what your body needs...

I just told off a co worker who's a Jehoviahs Witness how wrong and disrespectful he is to go door to door esp. Easter. He feels it's his duty to help save souls.
People who are anti abortion really believe you're murdering a human life.
I don't want either one to pester me with videos.
I know where to find the info if interested, and am open to respectful discussions.

People who eat meat (probably including you-how long ago?) don't think of animals in the same way you or I do. I see a sentient being, with different instincts, intellect, and emotion, that need nothing from us then to leave them alone. Omnis see meat growing up, and while they don't want them factory farmed, don't want to pay more.
You can't change minds by shock. Many, many people either swear off meat, or promise to only buy 'humanely raised'. When the reality of just how different that lifestyle is, they go back complaining how hard they tried, but convinced they 'need' animal protein more than before. And trash vegans.

Start slowly. Talk about alternatives. I say how I used to use oatmeal in my meatloaf, and I make it pretty much the same but use beans and nuts now instead of meat. Make a great cake and make sure to have copies of the recipe around. Why should you use eggs when you don't need them? Have statistics of many eggs are used for things besides food, and links to factory egg production and disease.
Let people know Old MacDonalds farm is only a picture book.
Don't disrespect what people hold true and dear, and don't use emotional warfare. It's never a win to make people more defensive, or see you as an "extremist". Even when theres nothing extreme about leaving others the xxxx alone.
#3 Old 04-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Beginner

Wow, you sound quite offended.....

Quote:
You can't just shock people, make them cry, and swear they'll never eat meat again. Why? Because they probably will eat meat again, and have a scar growing over that part of their brain that was affected.
Meat is mainstream. It's murder, but it's common, accepted, what's for dinner, what your body needs...

for starters, I'm not trying to shock people. This is what happens, and while I have nothing against people who could watch this and still eat their steak (although obviously I would prefer they didn't, but that's because I'm against it and I'm not going to force my views upon people). But one thing I really HATE is when people who claim to love animals and "wouldn't hurt a fly" but are quite happy to go and buy their meat from the shop, no having to think about it, and when people don't want to know the truth because they find it wrong, but yet it's ok if they don't know about it.

Quote:
I just told off a co worker who's a Jehoviahs Witness how wrong and disrespectful he is to go door to door esp. Easter. He feels it's his duty to help save souls.

this isn't a valid comparison. This video is proof animals are being treated like this, whether or not people choose to accept it as right or wrong is completely up to them. It sounds to me like your colleague (assuming he is the kind of Jehovah's Witness you describe him to be, many aren't actually as forceful as people seem to think) goes to people's houses, knocks on their door, and tells them how wrong they are and why his opinion is the only correct one. That is not what this video does, it gives the facts (even if it is on a pro animal stance) and people can interpret however they want. And yes I realise that the commentary is very against all the things shown, but nobody has to agree with it, I just think people should know the facts, and if tey want to eat meat thats fine as long as their willing to accept how it got to their plate and not trying to pretend that its all happy animals walking round fields until one day after a good life they are taken away to a quiet room with the farmer and it is put to a painless end.

Quote:
People who eat meat (probably including you-how long ago?) don't think of animals in the same way you or I do.

Yes, I did use to eat meat, I'm not denying it, but I gave it up a long time ago. I struggled with the idea of animals being ours to use. my mother used to say to me "that's just the way it is, thats how the world works." I replied "maybe it is, but it shouldn't be."

Sorry if I've offended you, but this is what happens and I don't believe in shielding people from it just to keep them happy.

"Men who consume the flesh of beasts consume also the fear of the slaughtered victims, the fill of which will be the virus of discontentment." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci
#4 Old 04-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Beginner

I'm in agreement that we need to spread the reality of what happens to animals whenever and wherever we can. If I were one of those animals I would hope for no less from people who are free and who say they care. In fact I think it's our obligation to those who are being literally tortured and have no voice but ours. People can't/won't do anything to change the situation if they don't know it's happening.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#5 Old 04-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

I'm in agreement that we need to spread the reality of what happens to animals whenever and wherever we can. If I were one of those animals I would hope for no less from people who are free and who say they care. In fact I think it's our obligation to those who are being literally tortured and have no voice but ours. People can't/won't do anything to change the situation if they don't know it's happening.

Thankyou Irizary, good to know I haven't offended everybody on the forum

#6 Old 04-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Beginner

You haven't offended me, either. I think there's a lot of good evidence that the "shocking" method of exposing people to vegetarian ideas could actually be the most efficient and long lasting one. One very good reason I believe this is that I donate to an organization that hands out booklets that illustrate the life of factory farmed animals, and that organization receives a ton of feedback every year from the people it reaches. Often a person will leaflet a school and return a year or two later and bump into someone who was "shocked" earlier who said they've been vegan ever since and thanked the person for exposing them to the truth. In fact, as this non profit continues to grow such feedback is becoming more and more common. If the second poster in this thread was correct, the opposite would be true. The schools that get visited repeatedly would be increasingly hostile and less veg friendly. Feedback is an excellent way of measuring the success of a charitable endeavor. It's a part of the psychology of social change. Ignoring the facts and the opinions of others because of some personal prejudice you have doesn't do us any justice.

Tam! RUGH!
#7 Old 04-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

You haven't offended me, either. I think there's a lot of good evidence that the "shocking" method of exposing people to vegetarian ideas could actually be the most efficient and long lasting one. One very good reason I believe this is that I donate to an organization that hands out booklets that illustrate the life of factory farmed animals, and that organization receives a ton of feedback every year from the people it reaches. Often a person will leaflet a school and return a year or two later and bump into someone who was "shocked" earlier who said they've been vegan ever since and thanked the person for exposing them to the truth. In fact, as this non profit continues to grow such feedback is becoming more and more common. If the second poster in this thread was correct, the opposite would be true. The schools that get visited repeatedly would be increasingly hostile and less veg friendly. Feedback is an excellent way of measuring the success of a charitable endeavor. It's a part of the psychology of social change. Ignoring the facts and the opinions of others because of some personal prejudice you have doesn't do us any justice.

Thanks, I was starting to think posting the link here was inappropriate, but you've convinced me otherwise. Also, what's the name of that organisation? I'd love to donate something if I can .

#8 Old 04-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Beginner

I don't see you felt "offense" from my post, although perhaps I also got the wrong message from yours.
I had the impression of someone who had recently seen Earthlings, and decided overnight they would never go back, and demanded the world join them.
In other words, the kind of vegan who berates the person at their lunch table for eating a corpse.

Josh James is BTW, spot on with my idea of good AR advocacy

Sorry, but I've been with people attacked by people with AR beliefs, and the over emotional ones do not help our cause.
#9 Old 04-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I don't see you felt "offense" from my post, although perhaps I also got the wrong message from yours.
I had the impression of someone who had recently seen Earthlings, and decided overnight they would never go back, and demanded the world join them.
In other words, the kind of vegan who berates the person at their lunch table for eating a corpse.

Josh James is BTW, spot on with my idea of good AR advocacy

Sorry, but I've been with people attacked by people with AR beliefs, and the over emotional ones do not help our cause.

Well I totally agree with you there, and I also agree that sitting round a table and shouting "you're all murderers!!!" doesn't help, so I'm sorry if the wording of my post came across the wrong way, all I meant was that in my opinion it's a horrible thing to happen and people should know the facts. And also, I'm not an overnight convert just because I've seen a video; I've been vegetarian for quite some time now, but was unaware of just how brutal the slaughterhouse system is.

#10 Old 04-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Beginner

Well I'm glad to meet you, and glad you're here!

It just annoys me so much that omnivores can continue to ignore what they already know about the industry.
They know about abuse, and while most justify eating the animals raised on the "family friendly farms", they already know that's not what happens.
People can sit around lunch tables eating burgers condemning the abuse of cats and dogs. I mention how animals raised for meat endure the same conditions every day of their lives because those conditions are actually the rules. They say they don't want to think about it.

Omnivores have no idea how much patience vegans have to have.
My goal in advocacy is to help people realize that vegan diet can't always be compared with what they eat now.
I think it's more ignorance in not knowing how to make the switch easy and delicious. People are selfish, and few switch just because of ethics if taste doesn't follow. Think of all the heart patients eating steak, diabetics eating sugar, cancer patients smoking.

When I first gave up dairy I worked with cat rescue. The others were getting all sad about the kittens rescued who needed to be bottle fed. I commented that was why I gave up dairy, and took quite a lot of discussion for them to understand cows aren't any different about raising calfs than any other animal. There's just that much disconnect.
#11 Old 04-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Beginner

Thank you, nice to meet you too .

I know what you mean, we were shown an RSPCA video at school the other day (I don't know if they have that where you are, but it's a charity and I think it stands for Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) and my friend kept going "awww, it's not fair, look at that poor cat it's been hit by it's owner! it's not right" but she didn't seem bothered if it happened to a pig or a cow; well, she did, but she didn't want to think about it. It's wrong really, but I'm trying to convince her to try vegetarianism so that's all I can do really, I don't want to force it on her...

#12 Old 04-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Seeing this film was a big part of the reason why I went from vegetarian to vegan. Calling it "powerful" seems like an understatement but I don't know if a word exists that describes what a punch to the gut it is emotionally.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#13 Old 04-10-2012, 05:10 AM
Beginner

Earthlings should be compulsory. Ignorance is never a valid excuse.
#14 Old 04-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Beginner

I knew an omnivore teacher who saw a highly graphic HBO special called "Animals: To Love or to Kill" (sort of a proto-Earthlings) back in the early 90s. For about a month she became a vegetarian. A year later, she was not only back to eating meat, but she owned a new fur coat and was bragging about her leather furniture set.

And yet, there are other people who see a highly graphic video and it's like the Road to Damascus. They change and never look back.

You just can't really predict how people are going to react to new information.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#15 Old 04-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Beginner

I watched it a month ago. I had to keep some tissues near me the whole time, it's sad.
#16 Old 04-11-2012, 02:07 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

I knew an omnivore teacher who saw a highly graphic HBO special called "Animals: To Love or to Kill" (sort of a proto-Earthlings) back in the early 90s. For about a month she became a vegetarian. A year later, she was not only back to eating meat, but she owned a new fur coat and was bragging about her leather furniture set.

And yet, there are other people who see a highly graphic video and it's like the Road to Damascus. They change and never look back.

You just can't really predict how people are going to react to new information.

Yar, I've recently read a biography about Speer. One statement really struck me and seems to be valid for the teacher you know: determined ignorance. Many people just actively oppose their conscience and don't want to know, which goes to proove once more that there is, oh glory, method to madness.
#17 Old 06-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Beginner

You know, I remember that I used to be quite resistant to vegetables. I loved my meat..and vegetables were a very small portion of my diet. But today, I understand the suffering and unethical treatment of animals who cannot speak for themselves. Who lie hopeless under the cruel hands of mankind. Who depend on us to speak for them. But all this was not realised, until I came across a post by a being so kind and compassionate - H.E. Tsem Tulku Rinpoche

On his blog, he had a post on Earthlings, and that was where I watched the video, with much horror and sadness. Sadness as to why I never thought further and took things for granted..things that I labelled as just food for my stomach.

http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-rinpoche/animals-vegetarianism/earthlings.html

#18 Old 06-13-2012, 07:31 AM
Beginner

I've avoided seeing this so far, I'm one of those over-emotional people mentioned in one of the above posts. Don't get me wrong, I'm not being ignorant to the issues, I'm currently a vegetarian, and am transitioning into veganism for ethical reasons. But I'm not sure I can handle watching it without becoming a wreck and my heart breaking into a thousand tiny pieces.

I've seen a few PeTA video's before, one of them was the final push for me going veggie, so shock tactics obviously work for me. And I have read a lot of information on the atrocities and utter cruelty in factory farms etc. but as I want to go vegan anyway, so not sure I need to see it.

Do you guys think I will gain from watching it?

I do find it strange how people react so differently to these issues when confronted directly. And peace's story about the teacher who got a fur coat after seeing a video on animal cruelty baffles me, especially if, for a month if affected her enough to stop eating meat.

I love my friends. So I don't eat them
I love animals. So I don't eat them either
#19 Old 06-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Seeing this film was a big part of the reason why I went from vegetarian to vegan. Calling it "powerful" seems like an understatement but I don't know if a word exists that describes what a punch to the gut it is emotionally.

I agree with both of these statements.

I recently watched Earthlings, and it was a huge contributor to my shift from vegetarian to vegan. And I definitely feel like if more people knew the truth, then they would put a lot more thought into what's on their plate and whether or not it should be considered acceptable.

"Ugliness, if given a powerful voice, can be beautiful."

-Martha Graham

#20 Old 06-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Beginner

I own a copy of Earthlings, and keep trying to persuade my family to sit down and watch it, but they refuse every time.sad.gif

#21 Old 06-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaVeg87 View Post

I own a copy of Earthlings, and keep trying to persuade my family to sit down and watch it, but they refuse every time.sad.gif

Same thing has happened to me.
I get responses like: "I already know it's bad, so I don't need to see animals get tortured. Watching it won't change my beliefs."
I bet it would if they'd watch it. Or at least get them to think more about what's on their plates.

-Martha Graham

#22 Old 06-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaVeg87 View Post

Maybe tell them you want them to watch it with you for your birthday present or something.  Say how much it means to you that they share something so important to you...

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#23 Old 06-28-2012, 02:39 AM
Beginner

I am still not past the first 30 minutes, it hurts me too lomuch.

I, too tried to get my omnivore family to watch it. I received that response - but a movie won't change my beliefs. 

I thought that the word belief was an important one. I think of animal rights being important as being a belief. My parents have no strong views on meat-eating, they just love the taste of dead animal flesh. Which, to me, is different than having a belief. It's like I believe in animal rights. They don't believe in meat eating as they have no arguments about it, they don't think about it - it's just something they do.

Oh well. I do own an Earthlings tshirt. A vegan friend got it for me when I started transitioning veggie-vegan. My mum actually got really mad when I wore it out to dinner with them....the name of the restaurant? The Meat Company. I had a jacket potato. No butter.

#24 Old 07-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Beginner

A friend told me today he wanted to see some of it. I showed it to him, and he's going to try to phase out meat! :)

-Martha Graham

#25 Old 07-01-2012, 06:08 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone104 View Post

A friend told me today he wanted to see some of it. I showed it to him, and he's going to try to phase out meat! :)

Awesome! That's great :D Don't forget to give him some support websites <3

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#26 Old 07-01-2012, 06:09 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohom View Post

Oh well. I do own an Earthlings tshirt. A vegan friend got it for me when I started transitioning veggie-vegan. My mum actually got really mad when I wore it out to dinner with them....the name of the restaurant? The Meat Company. I had a jacket potato. No butter.

You got some serious confidence to be wearing an Earthlings shirt to something that said "meat company." Even more hard to do would be to wear a "vegan" shirt there >____________________> You are my hero xD

By the way, where is this earthling's shirt? I haven't found it yet o.o Then again, their store is down.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#27 Old 07-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Beginner

Dude, I watched that 11 months ago, went from omni to vegan and never looked back. That film was powerful enough to make me give up animal products cold turkey.

http://www.marystestkitchen.com <--That's the blog I write. It's mostly about food. Some healthy. Some junky. All vegan.

#28 Old 07-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

Awesome! That's great :D Don't forget to give him some support websites <3

I'm going to be sending him plenty of stuff.

He says he's really interested now and wants to learn more. ^.^ 

I knew putting Earthlings on my iPad and carrying it around with me would pay off. 

-Martha Graham

#29 Old 07-02-2012, 06:54 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone104 View Post

I'm going to be sending him plenty of stuff.

He says he's really interested now and wants to learn more. ^.^ 

I knew putting Earthlings on my iPad and carrying it around with me would pay off. 

Brilliant idea putting it on your ipad :D I could only put it on my ipod I suppose, but yeah, not a big enough screen haha xD

#30 Old 07-02-2012, 06:55 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by vMaryv View Post

Dude, I watched that 11 months ago, went from omni to vegan and never looked back. That film was powerful enough to make me give up animal products cold turkey.

:D cool3.gif

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page