Facebook postings "against animal cruelty" - do you respond? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-09-2012, 05:49 AM
Beginner

Lately, it is really starting to bother me when my (omni) Facebook friends post pictures of injured and abused pets in the name of "standing up against animal cruelty," when they are going to eat another animal at their next meal. I mean really bother me. This morning I woke up to a very gross photo of the poor dog who was injured when kids put a firecracker in its mouth, posted by someone who will likely eat cow, pig, or chicken later today.

I want to ask, how is it different...why are some animals protected and not others? I'd like to point out the mismatch, but I also don't want to start a Facebook fight. So I normally just scroll down and move on.

Do you respond to things like this? How? It's not that I don't value the friendships of these people (which is a big part of why I don't want to start a fight), I would just like them to see where their actions don't always match up with their words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Beginner

I don't say anything most of the time. it gets too awkward with friends.
#3 Old 02-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Beginner

No, I don't respond because my only response could be "Animal cruelty cannot bother you that much if you eat meat", which, of course, always turns into a war.

There isn't enough love in the Universe....
#4 Old 02-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Banned

deleted

#5 Old 02-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Beginner

I wasn't aware I could just block images (and not all updates) from certain people. The trouble there is that it's not one person, and some of them are people I know through rescue so they are sometimes posting images that I want or need to see. I did wind up blocking images from one page (not a person) a few weeks ago just to get an image off of my feed that my husband commented on, and it kept bringing it up on my feed because he had commented on it. I don't really want to completely block them; the images come from different people so even blocking people wouldn't do anything but cause me to lose touch with friends.

I guess I'm too compassionate because I just can't look at those photos. I'm not ignoring that the atrocities happen and something must be done, but it makes me too sad to look at it. And even sadder (and more frustrated) that pets are more important than other animals. Mostly I think I just needed to vent to other people who understand...and maybe commiserate a little...but if anyone here does respond to these posts, I am also interested in what you say. Maybe eventually I will think of something I can say without starting a battle or having my friends feel like I'm judging them.
#6 Old 02-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Banned

deleted

#7 Old 02-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasher View Post

I don't say anything most of the time. it gets too awkward with friends.

Yeah, but sometimes the drama can be worth it to find out who our real friends are

auto correct can kiss my ask
#8 Old 02-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Beginner

I often don't respond and I think responding to every single one would be too much. But responding every now and then is a good idea.

Try to keep it focused on the animals and not on the people who eat them. For example, you can say, "Aww that makes me so sick when people are cruel to animals. Did you know that the same kind of suffering happens everyday on factory farms?" (Then you can offer the link to Farm to Fridge)

Other options:
"Bravo to you for standing up for companion animals! Now are you ready to take the next step and stand up for farmed animals too?" (You can follow up by asking them to boycott factory farmed meat or go vegetarian a few days a week. Give them a goal that feels realistic to them.)
"All kinds of animal cruelty are wrong. I'm really glad that we have some laws that protect pets. Did you know that farmed animals like pigs and chickens don't have any significant legal protections?" (Follow up by offering a link to MFA, HSUS, or ALDF so they can participate in legal campaigns to increase protections for all animals.)
"It's our moral obligation to prevent needless animal cruelty. That's why I support what you're doing to raise awareness about animal cruelty. That's also why I'm vegan." (Here you can offer a veg starter guide or offer to loan them a vegan cookbook. This would be a good place to tell your story about how you made your transition to veg*nism.)

If you keep it civil and focus on the animal cruelty then the discussion doesn't have to put friendships in jeapoardy. Remember that all strong relationships involve some conflict. The problem isn't the disagreement, or even how heated it gets. The problem is when there's no good resolution wherein both parties feel respected and heard. So if you just make sure to try to understand their perspective and acknowledge that any reduction in animal product consumption is a win, then these conversations will be more productive.
#9 Old 02-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Beginner

Thanks Elaine...those are definitely good ideas.

Rabbit, While I do find it disturbing l am not stressing about it. Promise. I just dislike FB drama so I try to stay out of it and not create it. That's all.

But Elaine's ideas are good. I will give one a try next time.

Sent from my LG-P506 using Tapatalk
#10 Old 02-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Beginner

Honestly, I grew up around so many peers that actively abused cats and dogs, or thought caring for their suffering was a big joke, I'm encouraged when FB friends AT LEAST show concern for cats and dogs.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#11 Old 02-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Beginner

I just show a video that animals are treated horribly in factory farms. I'm not shoving beliefs, I'm just stating facts. There's a difference.
#12 Old 02-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Beginner

awesome ideas, Elaine! I'm going to try using your suggestions next time!

http://www.marystestkitchen.com <--That's the blog I write. It's mostly about food. Some healthy. Some junky. All vegan.

#13 Old 02-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Try to keep it focused on the animals and not on the people who eat them.

When I first started promoting videos on MySpace, by far the biggest problem I saw was that many people reacted by saying how they wanted to kill the people in the video for being cruel to animals, but that they will continue eating meat because they continued to think that eating meat doesn't hurt animals. They felt that the animals were already dead, so they might as well not let the meat go to waste.

When I edited the video to emphasize that if we eat animal products, it is we who are responsible for what the animals go through, the number of people saying that they are now going vegan or vegetarian skyrocketed.

The connection does need to be made for people. If we focus on the actions of slaughterhouse workers, and not on the actions of consumers, we have missed the boat.

http://ar.vegnews.org
(My animal rights FAQ)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page