The World is Vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 12-15-2009, 05:50 PM
 
rags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 76
http://www.abolitionistapproach.com/...f-you-want-it/



In 1969, at the height of the Vietnam War, John Lennon and Yoko Ono had a billboard placed in Times Square. It read:



WAR IS OVER!



If you want it



Happy Christmas from John and Yoko.



I propose the following:



That we flood the world with a message; that we create a virtual billboard:



THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it.



Send this message on all your social message boards and ask your friends to send it on theirs. Text your friends and ask them to text their friends. Add this message to your signature line on your emails. Lets start a friendly wave of creative, nonviolent vegan education.



Forty years after John and Yoko made the simple statement that peace and an end to the Vietnam War was ours if only we wanted it, let us have an electronic billboard that will not be just in Times Square but all over the world! Let us spread the message that nonviolence against our nonhuman brothers and sisters is possible-if we want it.



I will do a podcast on this in the next day or so.



Please go vegan. Its incredibly easy to do. It is the best thing for you and for the planet. And, most importantly, it is the morally right thing to do. We cannot justify killing nonhumans for our trivial purposes, not matter how humane our acts of injustice.
rags is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 12-15-2009, 06:01 PM
 
Kona's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 198
Do you suppose that within the next forty years, this new message will have as much of an impact as the previous one did in ending wars?
Kona is offline  
#3 Old 12-18-2009, 07:44 PM
 
godxisxagnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 132
I kind of have to agree with the previous comment. That billboard may have fit the optimism (or possibly naivity) of the 1960's and 70's, but it's a little ludicrous.



of course we should all just do everything francione tells us too. *francione zombies*
godxisxagnostic is offline  
#4 Old 12-19-2009, 07:36 AM
 
terra biped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 80
I agree with the previous 2 responses. I don't think you change hearts and minds with catch phrases on bill boards and bumper stickers.
terra biped is offline  
#5 Old 12-19-2009, 11:27 PM
 
godxisxagnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 132
that is very true logically, but i think that the peta "i am not a nugget" bumper sticker changed my mind. it, of course, wasn't the only thing, but it helped.
godxisxagnostic is offline  
#6 Old 12-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 14,320
Advertising works, there's no denying that. I think expecting advertising to be 100% effective and then being disappointed when it isn't is a bit unrealistic. It's no different than a car commercial, sure not everyone who sees the commercial is going to go out and buy that car but some will.



John and Yoko may not have put an end to all human wars with some billboards but they DID inspire millions of people and continue to do so, I can say that for sure because even though I was born in 1986 I know about that billboard and the message they were sending really influenced me when I was growing up and helped make me who I am today.



And I know stumbling on a PETA site when I was younger and seeing slogans like 'I am not a nugget' and 'Pigs are friends not food' also had a big influence on me and inspired me to do more research about factory farming practices.



Advertising works, if it didn't companies wouldn't spend billions of dollars on it to sell their products.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#7 Old 01-06-2010, 01:51 AM
 
rags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by godxisxagnostic View Post

I kind of have to agree with the previous comment. That billboard may have fit the optimism (or possibly naivity) of the 1960's and 70's, but it's a little ludicrous.



of course we should all just do everything francione tells us too. *francione zombies*





I am not sure there are such things as Francione zombies" outside of the minds of those who make up that particular catchphrase.



It seems to me that the difference between War is Over and The World is Vegan is that individuals are in a better position to bring about the latter.







rags.
rags is offline  
#8 Old 01-06-2010, 04:23 AM
 
Snafuu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 21
I really like this idea.



It sucks that a lot of people I know are pro-meat. Otherwise, this would be totally influential to them.



*sigh*



I'm still going to put this in my siggy on other forums!
Snafuu is offline  
#9 Old 01-06-2010, 11:51 PM
 
godxisxagnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by rags View Post

I am not sure there are such things as Francione zombies" outside of the minds of those who make up that particular catchphrase.









rags.



I saw it in a comment section on one of the blogs I frequent and find it accurate. I haven't got any problem with Francione but it does seem like there are many people on the interwebs who mindless follow him. We should all think for ourselves, whether it's about animal rights or anything else.
godxisxagnostic is offline  
#10 Old 01-07-2010, 07:41 AM
 
rags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by godxisxagnostic View Post

I saw it in a comment section on one of the blogs I frequent and find it accurate. I haven't got any problem with Francione but it does seem like there are many people on the interwebs who mindless follow him. We should all think for ourselves, whether it's about animal rights or anything else.





I agree with that.





rags
rags is offline  
#11 Old 01-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Tom
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 4,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by rags View Post


Please go vegan. It’s incredibly easy to do. It is the best thing for you and for the planet. And, most importantly, it is the morally right thing to do. We cannot justify killing nonhumans for our trivial purposes, not matter how “humane” our acts of injustice.

Whoa! I only disagree with the "incredibly easy to do" part.



There's nothing wrong with the sentiment or statement, "THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it.". Veganism is possible, absolutely! And as more people embrace it, it will become even easier. But right now it does take more effort than vegetarianism, let alone omnivorism.

"Ground Control to Major Tom.... Ground Control to Major Tom...

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on...."

David Bowie- "Space Oddity"

Tom is offline  
#12 Old 01-07-2010, 02:01 PM
 
rags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 76
The notion that veganism is easy is informed by perspective, and social issues like class and gender.



I think Francione is highlighting how easy it is compared to when he became vegan in the 1980s. Then again, he is in North America and, relatively speaking is powerful and well off.



Speaking for myself - veganism is very easy now compared to 1979 when I went vegan - imagine what it was like for the vegan pioneers like Donald Watson in the 1940s!





rags.
rags is offline  
#13 Old 01-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Tom
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 4,535
^^^ That's true. However, someone's perspective on how easy or difficult something might be is generally influenced by what they percieve as the norm- and veganism is still relatively new and unusual. Vegan dining at restaurants is likely to be comparatively difficult. You can certainly argue that it isn't necessary to eat in a restaurant- that one can eat their own meals. But most people enjoy eating out at least occasionally. Look how much business restaurants get (even low-end ones like McDonald's!)



EDITED TO ADD: Just to clarify: I'm not making an issue of this to make excuses for eating non-vegan foods. I honestly believe people who might be sympathetic to veganism will take vegans more seriously if veganism is presented more realisticaly.

"Ground Control to Major Tom.... Ground Control to Major Tom...

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on...."

David Bowie- "Space Oddity"

Tom is offline  
#14 Old 01-08-2010, 10:57 AM
 
peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,262
As much as I like John and Yoko's stunts, I think the majority of the public sees them as kitschy relics of another time. The AR movement has preciously few resources at our disposal when compared to the industries we oppose. We must get the most bang for our buck.



I would rather see the money directed toward something like a Faunavision vehicle, the distribution of veg*n booklets, or a billboard that gives out a website address where one can find practical information about veganism.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
peace is offline  
#15 Old 01-08-2010, 11:02 AM
 
SomebodyElse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In a California Ghost Town
Posts: 7,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

I would rather see the money directed toward something like a Faunavision vehicle, the distribution of veg*n booklets, or a billboard that gives out a website address where one can find practical information about veganism.

Huh? It doesn't cost anything to do this:



Quote:
Originally Posted by rags View Post




That we flood the world with a message; that we create a virtual billboard:



THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it.



Send this message on all your social message boards and ask your friends to send it on theirs. Text your friends and ask them to text their friends. Add this message to your signature line on your emails. Lets start a friendly wave of creative, nonviolent vegan education.

See?

www.thesaucyvegan.com
SomebodyElse is offline  
#16 Old 01-08-2010, 01:08 PM
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

EDITED TO ADD: Just to clarify: I'm not making an issue of this to make excuses for eating non-vegan foods. I honestly believe people who might be sympathetic to veganism will take vegans more seriously if veganism is presented more realisticaly.

I understand your point, but I think that, just as well, it can be argued that vegan advocacy has suffered a lot from the way in which everyone (including many AW/AR groups, as Francione argues) seems to treat it as this very demanding and "extreme" lifestyle. So the last thing I want to do is take part in that marginalization. It also doesn't reflect my own experience, which is that veganism is indeed pretty easy.



And even though I don't eat out, if I did, I'd know places to go to. Maybe it's more difficult when you're living in some distant rural area, but many things will be more difficult when you live in place like that, not just veganism.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#17 Old 01-08-2010, 01:31 PM
 
peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Huh? It doesn't cost anything to do this:



Oh! *shakes foggy head* I was thinking someone was planning to erect THE WORLD IS VEGAN billboards in the manner that John and Yoko did in NYC and other cities. You'll have to excuse me, I normally cruise VB during downtime at work and don't always catch everything.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
peace is offline  
#18 Old 01-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Tom
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 4,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I understand your point, but I think that, just as well, it can be argued that vegan advocacy has suffered a lot from the way in which everyone (including many AW/AR groups, as Francione argues) seems to treat it as this very demanding and "extreme" lifestyle.



If veganism is presented as being easy, I can imagine someone might at least try it, and possibly go back to vegetarianism or full-out meat eating if they found it to be harder than they expected. Then again, someone might be discouraged from even trying veganism if someone presented it to them as I probably would!



I guess I’m the kind of person who would rather look at the worst possibilities first and then ponder, “Hey- it might not be as bad as that!”

"Ground Control to Major Tom.... Ground Control to Major Tom...

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on...."

David Bowie- "Space Oddity"

Tom is offline  
#19 Old 01-21-2010, 05:37 PM
 
etherspin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

If veganism is presented as being easy, I can imagine someone might at least try it, and possibly go back to vegetarianism or full-out meat eating if they found it to be harder than they expected. Then again, someone might be discouraged from even trying veganism if someone presented it to them as I probably would!



I guess I’m the kind of person who would rather look at the worst possibilities first and then ponder, “Hey- it might not be as bad as that!”



I think if you fully embrace the ethical implications of veganism and get past the first month of shopping it will be easy - also if you follow simple recipes that are readily available using fresh ingredients it will also be incredibly easy - if you untake veganism without a strong motivation and try a straight substitution of what you ate as an Omni expecting the replacements to be the same price you may run into problems ..



I view going vegan as a similar process to shopping for yourself for the first time when you move out of home (unless your parents taught you lots of cooking and life skills prior) in terms of what you achieve ethically i still view our part of the equation as easy , you need to read a bit its easy IMHO
etherspin is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off