Need HELP for Christmas! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-29-2013, 06:49 PM

Hey,

So my parents are coming over for the Christmas holiday which I am super happy about but I am new vegetarian and loving it. But, they are very traditional with all the trimmings. I would love to cook them a delicious Christmas with the traditional veggies but what should I do about the meat? Should I cook one for them to keep them happy and enjoy the other offerings? I don't want to force anyone to eat vegetarian because it is my choice. What would you do? I know they would accept my decision but be very unhappy if I didn't have anything for them (not vegetarian).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

I would cook a vegetarian dinner and not say anything about what is (or isn't) in it. There are several places on the internet that have vegetarian Christmas dinner ideas. I hope this helps.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3 Old 12-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Where's my camera?

I would let them know my menu well in advance and I would make it sound appetizing, especially the thing that would be replacing the meat on their plates. I would make sure they knew I was veg and that meant I  would not be eating any animal.

If they are local and within reasonable driving distance I would let them know they could bring their own pre-cooked servings of meat if what I was offering was not to their liking. If they are flying or traveling a long distance then bringing their own isn't practical, so I would ask them what they want and give them options, such as getting a serving of meat takeout from a restaurant. But one of those options would NOT be cooking an entire corpse in my kitchen.

Purp likes this.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#4 Old 12-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Zelda Freak

Welcome! I wouldn't discuss it too much - just say show up and I'll have some delicious food for you!

I'd serve a veggie meal with a mock meat of some kind - many meat eaters I know NEED something meaty or they get nuts. See this article: Best Mock Turkeys for Thanksgiving and Other Holiday Meals

Here a couple more good reads: 

Lastly if you're ok with it, I'd do what Mojo says and let them know that they can bring a meat dish if they really need it. But also make it clear they don't have to because you'll have plenty to eat. My family tends to want to bring meat to holiday stuff. I don't like it, but I'd rather keep the peace then freak out. I don't have to eat it so... 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards: FacebookTwitter + Pinterest
* Find me: Twitter + Facebook + Pinterest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page