VeggieBoards banner

Virginia Virginia Check-In Thread

13K views 68 replies 31 participants last post by  xXFiyaTheOneAndOnlyXx 
#1 ·
Michael suggested we start a new thread to re-introduce ourselves.
If you live in Virginia, please post an introduction, maybe tell us a little about your area, and add a picture if you want to!

I'm Beachbnny, 24, been vegetarian since 2001, recently married and live in Virginia Beach. I'm always looking to meet other vegetarians and find better places to eat. I really like The Heritage and only just discovered Va Garden. I like that Amalfi's knows what vegan means and that we have a few Indian, Japanese, and Thai restaurants. I'm also just a few minutes away from PETA. I will gladly give more good examples of vegetarian restaraunts if anyone requests them.

So go ahead! Introduce yourself in our new Virginia Forum!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello!

I live in Richmond. I <3 Richmond for lots of reasons, but a biggie is that it's centrally located between the mountains and the beach (where I spend as much time as possible), so both are barely 2 hours away! But, I'm also pretty happy just sticking around here. I love that I live in the city (even though I'm in the city I happen to live in a nice, quiet neighborhood - just outside The Fan, for those who know the area!) and am still so close to all the things I love to do outdoors - The James River Park System is pretty great and there are awesome mountain bike trails (home to XTerra Games!) all over the place here. Everything I need is only a quick bike ride or very quick car ride from me. I'm still trying to get out and discover more restaurants, so I don't have a whole lot to offer in that way yet. But, there appears to be something for everyone here.

Looking forward to hearing where others are from!

#3 ·
Hi, everyone!

I live in Fredericksburg, VA. I'm a vegetarian, but I try to eat vegan when I can (mostly when I cook at home).

I'm interested in yoga, biking, hiking, running, knitting, reading, old black and white movies, and listening to my record albums. I also give really good massages and I love to eat good food.

#4 ·
Thanks for starting this, Beachbnny!

I live just outside of Richmond, in Chesterfield County. I've been married for nearly 25 years, my son is in his fourth year at UVa, my daughter is in Special Ed at Monacan High School. I'm a painter, and I've lived in this area since January, 1985. I also volunteer with the Richmond Animal League - as a dog caregiver and a foster parent for homeless Chihuahuas. I jog and kayak around the Swift Creek Reservoir, do yoga, belong to two book clubs, and am a great vegan cook (if I do say so myself!
).

In the Richmond area, there are lots of wonderful vegetarian/vegan options when dining out. I particularly like Thai, and am a frequent diner at Thai Diner Too in Carytown. Siam Paragon on Midlothian Turnpike is wonderful, too. Today for lunch, I'm heading to Farouk's House of India, because I'm craving something spicy.

I'm looking forward to getting to know more fellow Vegetarian Virginians!

#5 ·
Hey Poppy - I spend many weekends out at Pocahontas State Park, biking and kayaking - are you in this part of Chesterfield? If so, lucky you!

I'll have to try Thai Diner Too, thanks for mentioning it. We just tried Elephant Thai on W. Cary St. a couple weekends ago and thought it was a pretty good little place. I've heard good things about Tara Thai, but I avoid the Short Pump area as much as possible! Crazy busy out that way.

#6 ·
We go to Pocahontas State Park often - to walk the dogs and commune with nature. I live nearby - in Woodlake.

Amen to Short Pump being crazy - but I think that is where the new Trader Joe' s is going in - yay, yay, yay!

#7 ·
We're getting a Trader Joe's!? How did I not know this!? I always liked going to the one in Alexandria, when I lived there (which Short Pump now reminds me of, incidentally!).

If the weather stays as it's been the past few days, I hope to spend my day at Pocahontas tomorrow!

#8 ·
Tina/Poppy--

I'm also in Richmond. I live in Bon Air. Teach @ Midlothian HS. I had no idea we were getting a Trader Joes. I'm delighted. It will give me a reason to go to Short Pump--you are talking the mall, correct? I've only been there once.

Have you tried Mekong on Broad? It's my absolutely favorite resturant. Very close to Willow Lawn.

#10 ·
Hey! I'm Jami. I live in Alexandria. My husband and I are both vegetarian and we are considering going vegan - slowly. I have been veg for 8 years. Jake for 3. We would love to meet more veg*ns in the area and explore new restaurants. I also try to cook a lot and am excited about some of the recipes I've found on this site. (Will be making seitan "ribs" soon.) In the winter, we love to snowboard, but as it's moving into spring, we are breaking out our road bikes!

#11 ·
Tina:

Ipanema also is fabulous!!!! Try the vegan Caesar Salad w/ extra tofu. It's great! But the last time I went by there (back @ Christmas) it was closed. Yet the website says 2008. I wonder what gives?

Also, around the corner is Harrison St. Coffee Shop--all vegan and vegetarian. Great vegan reuben sandwich! All their food is great!

#13 ·
Hello, I am from Richmond, Va (technically borderline) I'm more familiar with Chesterfield. I am 21 and have been vegetarian for a year now, trying to go back to vegan. I have no idea where any good places to eat are.

Oh and Poppy, I'm hoping to start volunteering at RAL. I actually used to volunteer there but school and work became too busy, so I'll be putting in my application soon! I would really like to foster, but I'm not sure how that process works.
Of course I do share my home with many animals as it is.

I have many animals sharing my home. Cats, ferrets, snakes, rats, and sugar gliders. I have a small "garden" outside where I am attempting not to kill my tomato plants and carrot sprouts.

#14 ·
Hi Ferret_Mommy

Yay! for volunteering at RAL - we always need help! I'm on the Monday morning dog team, and we'd love to have you join us. Our assistant kennel director is vegan and a student at VCU - I'll bet she would have some great ideas about vegan dining for young 20's. My family ate at The Nile for the first time last night. It's down near VCU on Laurel - delicious, vegan Ethiopian food!

RAL is desperate for kitten foster homes, FYI!
www.RAL.org! There's a link under "Help RAL".

#15 ·

We love kittens! We have three cats right now, all adopted. One we found, the other we adopted from RAL and the other is from SPCA. We spoil our animals. Our SPCA boy can show you that. He's 7 months old and 10lbs. He's going to be a big boy. Does living in an apartment complex affect your ability to foster? We live in a townhouse and the rules say 2 cats or 1 dog. We have 3 cats, plus other animals, so we are over our limit already, although there is no damage to the place and we have plenty of time to spend one on one time with all our animals. We are night owls. Hehe. I was told I need a form, so I'm going to try and get that. We don't have a working printer.

#16 ·
Hi, Everyone! I'm Amanda and my fiance and I live in Roanoke. We've both been vegan for a little over 2 years now (I was vegetarian for 7 years before that). We live with our brood of rescued cats and dogs. We own a glass blowing shop and bead store in Salem that does not carry any animal products. At first it was confusing to our customers for us to not have leather cord or real pearls, but now they come in and request special glass pearls or want to learn to make coral and shell beads out of clay. Very cool!

Unfortunately, we don't have any dedicated veg*n restaurants around here but luckily we have plenty of Indian, Japanese and Chinese restaurants that are very willing to accommodate vegans. We are crossing our fingers that one day we'll get a Whole Foods or a Trader Joes. Sighhhhhh.....

#17 ·
Hi AJ! I'm going to be in your neck of the woods on Sunday. My daughter goes to Camp Easter Seal in Fincastle every year, and her session starts next week. I love the drive down 460- it's beautiful.

I love blown glass - I have a collection of Christmas balls and several large ones that I keep out all year. Do you have a website?

#18 ·
Hey! I'm from Fredericksburg, VA (more or less. Technically I live in Stafford)

I am 26, I was a vegetarian for a little over a year and I've been vegan for two months. I love animals of all kinds, work at a Comic Shop part time in the Fredericksburg area and I am go school at Germana Community College. There is a restaurant I frequent on occasion in down town Fredericksburg that has a wide variety of vegan/vegetarian options it's pretty good. Sammy T's

Guess that's it for now.

~Justin

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falawlfel View Post

Hey! I'm from Fredericksburg, VA (more or less. Technically I live in Stafford)

I am 26, I was a vegetarian for a little over a year and I've been vegan for two months. I love animals of all kinds, work at a Comic Shop part time in the Fredericksburg area and I am go school at Germana Community College. There is a restaurant I frequent on occasion in down town Fredericksburg that has a wide variety of vegan/vegetarian options it's pretty good. Sammy T's

Guess that's it for now.

~Justin
*waves from Fredericksburg* I love Sammy T's!
Do you go to Ukrop's or the new Giant? They have really good veggie options.

#23 ·
I live, with my *ahem* mother(atractive I know). At least until march when the parents finally give me the boot. She tends to goto bloom up here... ;p

Likely I'll be moving down there when the work stuff gets cleared up and I have money again lol so I'll keep that in mind Thanks ;0).

#24 ·
I'm in Mechanicsville, on the east side of Richmond. Been veggie for ten years now. I work in retail and I play guitar. I have been in some local bands but have not played out much recently. Krogers and Ukrops have some good stuff. Of course I do go to Ellwood Thompsons in Richmond every once in a while. I don't eat out all that much right now. In fact I don't even get out all that much now, but I would like to get around more and have some kind of a life.

Bryan

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bn4now View Post

I'm in Mechanicsville, on the east side of Richmond. Been veggie for ten years now. I work in retail and I play guitar. I have been in some local bands but have not played out much recently. Krogers and Ukrops have some good stuff. Of course I do go to Ellwood Thompsons in Richmond every once in a while. I don't eat out all that much right now. In fact I don't even get out all that much now, but I would like to get around more and have some kind of a life.

Bryan
*waves* Welcome!

I keep meaning to check out Ellwood Thompson's, but never get around to getting down to Carytown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.