Why is egg considered vegetarian? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-22-2009, 08:06 AM

Eggs have life in them, so how can they be consumed by vegetarians.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-22-2009, 08:15 AM

Eggs have no living life in them as long as they aren't fertilized... And the ones you can buy in stores aren't. They are a menstrual by product of the chicken.
#3 Old 01-22-2009, 08:17 AM

They're vegetarian because the eggs we eat would never have become chickens. They are unfertilised.
#4 Old 01-22-2009, 09:21 AM

Ah, has anyone ever heard those stories about people buying eggs from the supermarket and then them hatching? Just a random thought there because I'm sure I've read somewhere
#5 Old 01-22-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janee View Post

Ah, has anyone ever heard those stories about people buying eggs from the supermarket and then them hatching? Just a random thought there because I'm sure I've read somewhere

It's seems rather unbelievable that an egg that was refrigerated rather than incubated could hatch.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#6 Old 01-22-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post

It's seems rather unbelievable that an egg that was refrigerated rather than incubated could hatch.

Agreed I don't think that it would work out that way Eggs need warmth, refrigerators would most likely kill the chicken in the egg.

^Cool story, bro
#7 Old 01-22-2009, 09:45 AM

I've heard of fertilized eggs getting mixed in with nonfertilized eggs. People crack them open and there is blood or fetus inside.

My grocery store has cartons of fertilized egg for sale. Why they have them next to my tofu I have no clue! Why they sell them at all is beyond me. They also have a clear container of egg whites.... looks like a bunch of snot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insan0r View Post

They are a menstrual by product of the chicken.

I seriously NEVER thought of it quite like that! As if it weren't disgusting enough! I just always thought of it like embryo, fetus, etc... for some reason it makes it even more gross calling it menstral by product. Blech!
#8 Old 01-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Banned

Oh come on! Everyone knows eggs grow on trees. Haven't you heard of eggplants? Geez!
#9 Old 01-22-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:

yeah i have heard a story like this on the news maybe a year ago- weird! Most farms dont even have any cockerals so the chances must have been tiny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreestylePup View Post

Agreed I don't think that it would work out that way Eggs need warmth, refrigerators would most likely kill the chicken in the egg.

I know that at room temperature the fetus wouldnt die, just would not grow. Some people do not keep eggs in the fridge. Im not sure what would happen if you kept the eggs in the fridge.

Lots of chicken (or any bird for that matter) breeders will take away fertilized eggs as soon as they are laid, but them in a box in a cool area and then put them back when enough eggs have been laid. That way they are all incubated together by the hen and will hatch at roughly the same time.

I think birds in the wild will lay their eggs one per day, and only sit on them when they get to four or however many they need for a brood. Dont quote me on that though as Im not sure.
#10 Old 01-22-2009, 10:00 AM

I would never eat a fertilized egg, as I am vegan and wont eat any eggs. But I dont think it would make much difference to be honest. The eggs have never been incubated so it will just be a couple of cells rather than a dead chick.
#11 Old 01-22-2009, 01:33 PM

Thinking of it as a menstrual by-product is kind of gross........-_-;
#12 Old 01-22-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Oh come on! Everyone knows eggs grow on trees. Haven't you heard of eggplants? Geez!

You've been waiting a long time to use that one haven't you?
#13 Old 01-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Kiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorange View Post

Eggs have life in them, so how can they be consumed by vegetarians.

Plants are alive. Seeds have "life in them". Life isn't the criteria for being vegetarian or not. Otherwise we'd just eat minerals and dirt.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#14 Old 01-22-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post

Actually they can be refridgerated and then hatched..... But the development process of a chicken doesn't start until the egg reaches a certain temperature. So take them out of the fridge and heat them right and they may hatch.... however by the eggs being refridgerated you decrease the chance of the egg hatching successfully.

I know this because my parents have chickens and recently bought fertilised eggs to hatch. We didn't put them in the fridge or anything, but I did read some information that it is possible.
#15 Old 01-22-2009, 06:19 PM

Because as everyone has said, the egg isnt fertilized. Eggs is vegetarian for the same reason milk is.. you don't HAVE to murder the animal to get these by products, however we all know the stories about what really happens..
#16 Old 01-22-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

LOL

peace love and happiness

jenn
#17 Old 01-23-2009, 04:58 AM

I have wondered about this issue in the back of my mind. Thanks for explaining.
#18 Old 01-23-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Ive heard them, I don't see how it is even remotely possible. The eggs are not fertilized for one, and even if a fertilized egg was slipped in somehow an egg needs very specific conditions of humidity, heat and rotation to begin development. Commercial layers also have no instinct to sit an egg, so it would have to be deliberately incubated by a human being. Otherwise, it will remain just an egg and there is absolutely no visual difference. So supposing that somehow a fertilized, incubated in prime condition egg somehow got placed with the unfertilized supermarket variety, all eggs are candled before packing and shipping. Candling eggs allows the viewer to see what is inside the egg. Even after 2-3 days incubation it is VERY evident if an embryo is developing, with a dim light in a dark room, let alone the far more powerful candling machines used by egg producers to grade. Now supposing the hen found a rooster, laid a fertilized egg, which was deliberately incubated by a human and then somehow fell in a pile of unfertilized food grade eggs, was completely overlooked during grading, and was handled carefully enough, not shaken a bit and kept at optimal temperatures during shipping to the grocery store, the embryo would die immediately once placed in the store fridge unit. If it was not in the store fridge unit, and somehow it was grabbed off the optimal heat and humidity gentle truck by a shopper it would die once being placed in the home fridge, or once it ceased to be rotated and kept at a steady temperature with careful humidity monotoring, it would die. Refridgerated fertilized eggs who have not begun development will simply not develop, even if warmed to optimal temps,ect. A room temperature egg(which nobody would keep the egg at room temperature) will not develop unless incubated correctly. More often than not when someone reports a "embryo" in their egg they are actually observing a "meat spot" or a "blood spot" which although unappetizing is actually: "caused by the rupture of a blood vessel on the yolk surface during formation of the egg or by a similar accident in the wall of the oviduct. Less than 1% of all eggs produced have blood spots. ". This does not indicate fertilization. Occasionally a spot will slip through the grading process and end up in someones carton
#19 Old 01-23-2009, 02:06 PM

My aunt bought a carton of eggs with several fertilized eggs. One egg had two embryos. There's my random contribution to the thread
#20 Old 01-23-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadaba89 View Post

My aunt bought a carton of eggs with several fertilized eggs. One egg had two embryos. There's my random contribution to the thread

Cracking open to find a fertilized egg

We all appreciate your random contribution

^Cool story, bro
#21 Old 01-23-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counting_hours View Post

Ive heard them, I don't see how it is even remotely possible. The eggs are not fertilized for one, and even if a fertilized egg was slipped in somehow an egg needs very specific conditions of humidity, heat and rotation to begin development. Commercial layers also have no instinct to sit an egg, so it would have to be deliberately incubated by a human being. Otherwise, it will remain just an egg and there is absolutely no visual difference. So supposing that somehow a fertilized, incubated in prime condition egg somehow got placed with the unfertilized supermarket variety, all eggs are candled before packing and shipping. Candling eggs allows the viewer to see what is inside the egg. Even after 2-3 days incubation it is VERY evident if an embryo is developing, with a dim light in a dark room, let alone the far more powerful candling machines used by egg producers to grade. Now supposing the hen found a rooster, laid a fertilized egg, which was deliberately incubated by a human and then somehow fell in a pile of unfertilized food grade eggs, was completely overlooked during grading, and was handled carefully enough, not shaken a bit and kept at optimal temperatures during shipping to the grocery store, the embryo would die immediately once placed in the store fridge unit. If it was not in the store fridge unit, and somehow it was grabbed off the optimal heat and humidity gentle truck by a shopper it would die once being placed in the home fridge, or once it ceased to be rotated and kept at a steady temperature with careful humidity monotoring, it would die. Refridgerated fertilized eggs who have not begun development will simply not develop, even if warmed to optimal temps,ect. A room temperature egg(which nobody would keep the egg at room temperature) will not develop unless incubated correctly. More often than not when someone reports a "embryo" in their egg they are actually observing a "meat spot" or a "blood spot" which although unappetizing is actually: "caused by the rupture of a blood vessel on the yolk surface during formation of the egg or by a similar accident in the wall of the oviduct. Less than 1% of all eggs produced have blood spots. ". This does not indicate fertilization. Occasionally a spot will slip through the grading process and end up in someones carton

In my first post I explained that the embryo will not start to develop until incubated. It can last as a few cells for a long time before it is incubated and starts to grow. It does not have to start to develop as soon as it is laid.

The only explaination I can think of is that someones cockeral mates with a free range hen. No one will know if the egg is fertilized or not as it hasnt been incubared, who ever eats it wont even know.

I dont think they do candle all eggs anyway? I know someone who used to work as an egg packer. They collected all the eggs that rolled into these gutters. put them in a machine where they go through holes separating the different sizes. They get looked over and all jelly shells, or crumpled shells are thrown out. They rest just get put straight in boxes and go into a room (probably not refrigerates) to wait to be picked up by unrefrigerated lorries and end up in usually unrefrigerated areas of supermarkets.

Say this all takes a week. The egg still contains a little bundle of cells, same as when it was laid. Some weird person gets the egg and puts it in an incubator to see what happens. The cells start to divide now it thinks a mummy is sitting on it. After a few days it is candled and the hatcher can see if it is fertilized or sure.
#22 Old 01-23-2009, 05:22 PM

Fertilised chicken or duck eggs are a dish in south-east Asia and the Philippines. It's called balut

Caviar is fertilised too.
#23 Old 01-23-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:

That has to be an urban myth. But when I was a kid, my mom used to buy eggs from a neighboring farm and one of the eggs she cracked had blood in it.

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#24 Old 01-24-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoun07 View Post

That has to be an urban myth. But when I was a kid, my mom used to buy eggs from a neighboring farm and one of the eggs she cracked had blood in it.

Blood eggs are quite common. Its just a burst vessel or something along those lines.

Our hens have laid a couple. The look of them is off putting, but they are completely fine to eat.
#26 Old 01-24-2009, 12:48 AM

That makes me want to take my roommate's eggs out of the fridge and try to incubate it to save the chicks
#27 Old 01-24-2009, 01:06 PM

Hatching a fertilized egg from a free range hen that has access to a rooster is a different case altogether than breaking an egg and finding a chick inside which is the common myth.

And It's my understanding at the point where the eggs are sorted (soft shells, ect) they are actually over the light. It allows the producer to see any cracks and imperfections better. The best eggs are graded A, then those with few imprefections B, ect.
#28 Old 01-24-2009, 03:17 PM

I live on a farm and if the eggs have been refrigerated they WILL NOT hatch. Basically kills them for want of a better description. Occassionally we break open one and theres a fetus inside but thats probably 1 in 200 eggs if that. They are vegetarian because they are not alive, especially shop brought eggs. Some vegetarians just choose not to eat eggs out of personal choice (that is me).
#29 Old 01-25-2009, 07:34 AM

mmmm, chicken period.

The definition of vegetarian is that we don't eat any by-products of slaughter, and eggs aren't slaughtered so it technically is vegetarian. However, it is also technically gross in my opinion.
#30 Old 01-30-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'smile: View Post

;2203817]I live on a farm and if the eggs have been refrigerated they WILL NOT hatch. Basically kills them for want of a better description. Occassionally we break open one and theres a fetus inside but thats probably 1 in 200 eggs if that. They are vegetarian because they are not alive, especially shop brought eggs. Some vegetarians just choose not to eat eggs out of personal choice (that is me).

I decided to google "are eggs alive?" after reading this post, and it appears that there are a lot of people who DO feel they are alive. I suppose it's a debate like much anything else.

I haven't eaten eggs since I don't remember when I last had them. I find I don't really miss them as much as I thought I would. In fact, the mere thought of them is rather revolting to me at this point.

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page