Panera (Soup ingredients not vegetarian) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-21-2009, 11:33 AM

I was very upset to find out today that the Broccoli Cheddar soup from panera is not vegetarian. It contains chicken base (chicken meat including chicken juices) as one of the ingredients. I should have known. I knew it wasn't vegan... but come on!

This discovery lead me to look into the other seamingly vegetarian soup options.

Soup options for lacto-vegetarians would be the vegetarian creamy tomato soup, and questionably vegan "Low-Fat Vegetarian Garden Vegetable" and "Low-Fat Vegetarian Black Bean" soups. The Low-Fat Vegetarian Garden Vegetable soup contains "vegetarian chicken flavor base" which includes flavoring (veg or not, I am not sure) and the Vegetarian Black Bean soup contains "natural flavorings" in the ingredients.

I have written to the company to ask what these flavorings are and to inform them that if the "vegetarian chicken flavor base" does indeed contain anything chicken that it should not be labeled as vegetarian. Also that if the flavorings/natural flavorings are animal derived that they should not have the soups labeled as vegetarian either. I'll let you all know what I find out.

Any info on this or other restaurants that you thought were vegetarian/vegan friendly that turned out not to be would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Panera specifically labels their soups vegetarian. So unless it says vegetarian it's not.

I would guess the vegetarian chicken flavoring is just that but it's good to check, let us know what you find out!

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#3 Old 01-21-2009, 11:46 AM

http://veganmasterlist.blogspot.com/...Panera%20Bread

This link mentions the items they have that are vegan, which make them also vegetarian for obvious reasons. Quote:

Quote:
The verdict:

The Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich, ordered without feta crumbles, is left with a few nutritional additives such as thiamin mononitrate (iron source) that are considered "may or may not be of animal origin." (See Additives: vegan or not?.)

Low fat Vegetarian Garden Vegetable soup contains thiamin mononitrate (see above) but is otherwise vegan

Southwest Tomato & Roasted Corn Soup

is vegan

Low-Fat Vegetarian Black Bean Soup is vegan

The Fresh Fruit Cup is vegan

The Greek salad is vegan if ordered without feta, but the dressing contains MSG

#4 Old 01-21-2009, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Broccoli Cheddar is not one of the soups labeled vegetarian. I seriously doubt that the vegetarian chicken flavor base isn't vegetarian... I have 4 different "meat" flavor bases that I use, all vegetarian Let us know what the company says though.
#5 Old 01-21-2009, 11:57 AM

Thanks all for the responses... I was totally thrown off by the vegetarian chicken flavor base ingredient and know that we should be wary of "flavorings". I will let you all know what I find out from the company but this info will be useful to me until then.
#6 Old 01-21-2009, 07:03 PM

Here is the response I got... they're quick!

Thank you for contacting Panera Bread.

Vegetarian soups are noted with the word "vegetarian" in the title, such

as our Low Fat Vegetarian Black Bean Soup or our Low Fat Vegetarian

Garden Vegetable Soup. If you do not see "vegetarian" in the name,

chances are that it contains animal-sourced ingredients.

The "vegetarian chicken flavor base" does not contain any chicken.

Natural flavors, by law, do not have to be disclosed by the

manufacturer.
If you have any allergenic concerns, we can ask if a

particular ingredient is contained in the natural flavor.

Many of our breads and pastries do not contain any animal-derived

ingredients. The mono & diglycerides in our breads are all

vegetable-sourced. Our cheeses, except for Asiago, Feta and Gorgonzola,

are processed with non-animal enzymes. There are many choices on our

menu for vegetarians or for those who watch their diet for religious

reasons. However, if it is a serious concern for you, you will always

want to check ingredients before you order.

You can find nutritional profiles and ingredients for all of our current

menu items on our website. On our homepage, point to "Menu & Nutrition",

then click on the category (breads, soups, etc.), then the specific

item. A page will be displayed with that item's nutrition and

ingredients information. The information displayed is for a full serving

with all sauces, dressings and condiments included.

Thank you again for contacting us. We appreciate your business and value

your comments.

Sincerely,

Pat

Customer Comment Coordinator

Here is my response:

Thank you for your quick reply. I appreciate your explaination, however the only thing I have left to ask is not what is in the natural flavors but if the natural flavors were derived from animals. I understand if you cannot divulge that information because it is not required by law, however if I'm not sure wheather or not the natural flavors come from animal products/biproducts I will not be eating at Panera bread anymore. I will also share this information with other people who would be concerned of this so that their dietary needs and choices are not comprimised.

Thanks,

I'll let you know what comes next.
#7 Old 01-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing.

I know that with many chicken-style broths, it says on the label that the natural flavors aren't animal based. Companies like McKay say it on the site
#8 Old 01-21-2009, 08:47 PM

Thanx for the heads up and help

Peace Love and Good Karma

Jenn
#9 Old 01-21-2009, 10:10 PM

Thanks so much for sharing this with us! I LOVE Panera Bread but if I find out that their soups have animal products I'm out. Another quick note, I always order the Mediterranean Veggie sandwich with no feta, and also on country bread. The Tomato Basil bread it usually comes on contains honey.

Anyways, thanks for taking the initiative to find out! That is very admirable
#10 Old 01-22-2009, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Panera specifically labels their soups vegetarian. So unless it says vegetarian it's not.

I would guess the vegetarian chicken flavoring is just that but it's good to check, let us know what you find out!

Yep, I'm pretty sure the broccoli soup has chicken broth in it.
#11 Old 01-22-2009, 06:26 AM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#12 Old 01-22-2009, 11:57 AM

Most store bought and restaurant soups, even if the name sounds possibly vegetarian (such as cheddar broccoli) tend to use meat stocks in their bases. I have been bummed for years with the knowledge that even though I hear Panera's Cheddar Broccoli soup is delicious, I can't have it because of chicken broth. I have found most restaurants put chicken broth in their corn chowders as well. I have developed the habit of not having soup at a restaurant unless it is marked clearly as vegetarian. That being said, Panera's black bean soup I recall being very yummy.
#13 Old 01-22-2009, 01:31 PM

Yeah...soups are always the worst...

And now I'm thinking about Ryan's Broccoli and Cheddar soup having chicken stock in it...
#14 Old 01-22-2009, 04:41 PM

Ok its official:

Thank you for your reply.

Our Nutrition Department has contacted the manufacture of both the Vegetarian Garden Vegetable, and the Vegetarian Black Bean soups, and have been assured that no animal products are included in the natural flavoring.

Thank you again for contacting us. We appreciate your business and value your comments.

Best regards,

Pat

Customer Comment Coordinator
#15 Old 01-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

I'm hungry for some Panera now
#16 Old 01-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Oh bummer, they took the grilled portobello sandwich off of the menu
#17 Old 01-22-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerFoxx View Post

Most store bought and restaurant soups, even if the name sounds possibly vegetarian (such as cheddar broccoli) tend to use meat stocks in their bases. I have been bummed for years with the knowledge that even though I hear Panera's Cheddar Broccoli soup is delicious, I can't have it because of chicken broth. I have found most restaurants put chicken broth in their corn chowders as well. I have developed the habit of not having soup at a restaurant unless it is marked clearly as vegetarian. That being said, Panera's black bean soup I recall being very yummy.

Yep, all the fresh-made soups at my supermarket contain meat broth - including cream of mushroom and corn chowder soups. I's so annoying.

www.sharksavers.org

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page