Legume Allergy - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Beginner

I am [I]fairly[I] new to eating vegan and am struggling with severe reactions to legumes. As a child I was diagnosed with an allergy to peanuts but other legumes were not addressed. However, as an adult, I am realizing that ANY legume causes worse problems than peanuts. Since so much of a vegetarian diet and the recipes I find revolve around various legumes, ie soy, lentils, beans, etc. I was wondering if anyone else struggled with this and how they addressed it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Beginner

Have you tried fermented legumes such as tempeh to see if you have the same reactions?

I can't imagine trying to stick to a vegan diet without legumes. I mean, you can drink rice milk or almond milk, and get a certain amount of protein for nuts, but legumes are a pretty important staple.
#3 Old 01-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Banned

i think a trip to an allergist, then a nutritionist, is in order- to find out exactly whats going on. if its a classical food allergy, you could maybe have shots, but if it turns out to be something else causing similar symptoms, a different strategy might be needed. either way you need proper professional support to make sure you're getting everything you need out of your diet, nutrient wise, and not putting your health at risk.
#4 Old 01-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Beginner

^ +1

And I know that there are a few people who suffer from allergies to things like soy.... I don't know if anyone is allergic to all legumes. In theory you should be able to survive without those things in your diet.... I don't actually eat very many legumes myself and do fine. But as hoodedclawjen said, a nutritionist would be the first step in trying to figure out a way around this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page