Things you didn't know weren't vegetarian - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Banned

I've been veggie for 11 months and I only just found out that suet is fat from the organs of animals. I can't believe I ever ate the stuff, yuck! Luckily I haven't eaten any since going veggie, and I found out what it was because my mum made us a vegetarian stew last week and she mentioned that she'd bought vegetarian suet for the dumplings.

I also didn't know that cheese could be unsuitable for vegetarians. I'd never heard of rennet - thanks VB for teaching me about that.

And also, though I'm ashamed to admit it, despite the glaring clue in the name I didn't actually think prawn crackers had any prawn in them. I think it's because the texture is so utterly unlike prawns that I didn't see how it could contain any. Me stupid.

On the other hand I was pleasantly surprised to find out that most packet chicken noodles, Pot Noodles and a few others things ARE vegetarian.

What did you only find out about after becoming veg*n?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Beginner

Folks who are vegan in all areas of their lives can run into all sorts of things you might never think of. Automobile tires (and bicycle tires) contain some animal products (don't remember just what!); camera film has gelatin in it. And there are some things that seem like contradictions to me. For instance, a vegan won't eat honey because it comes from bees, but they will eat fruit which can only form if a bee pollinates the flower. And, of course, vegans try to eat organic produce, but most organic produce is fertilized with manure, which comes from animals. It gets a little bit murky, at least to me. Interesting topic for discussion, though!
#3 Old 12-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Beginner

I was surprised to find out that Caesar salad dressing wasn't vegetarian back in the day.
#4 Old 12-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccolichick View Post

I was surprised to find out that Caesar salad dressing wasn't vegetarian back in the day.

Yeah, anchovies again! They are in Worchestershire sauce, too.

(Is it OK to say, I miss anchovies? )
#5 Old 12-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweithgar View Post

lol
#6 Old 12-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Beginner

Quote:

For instance, a vegan won't eat honey because it comes from bees, but they will eat fruit which can only form if a bee pollinates the flower.

For clarification: vegans (for the purposes of this post, vegans don't eat honey) tend to feel the process of harvesting the honey from bee hives is not very nice to the bees, and constitutes exploitation. I won't go into further details, because this isn't the vegan board.

Eating fruit itself has no negative effects on the bees that collected nectar from the original flowers. I imagine the bees liked the nectar, and they might even have been wild bees.

Quote:
And, of course, vegans try to eat organic produce, but most organic produce is fertilized with manure, which comes from animals. It gets a little bit murky, at least to me. Interesting topic for discussion, though!

Yes, but eating organic produce isn't a necessary part of being a vegan. I think it's just that quite a lot of vegans are concerned about pesticide use, as well.
#7 Old 12-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDratini View Post

For clarification: vegans (for the purposes of this post, vegans don't eat honey) tend to feel the process of harvesting the honey from bee hives is not very nice to the bees, and constitutes exploitation. I won't go into further details, because this isn't the vegan board.

Eating fruit itself has no negative effects on the bees that collected nectar from the original flowers. I imagine the bees liked the nectar, and they might even have been wild bees.

Yes, but eating organic produce isn't a necessary part of being a vegan. I think it's just that quite a lot of vegans are concerned about pesticide use, as well.

The "paycheck" of the bee before its cut, 99% goes back to the boss and they a 1%... Unfortunately, they cannot even do taxes... to reclaim that lose...

The bees are the most scary thing for me in the world... but I do not support their exploitation.

Vegans do eat organic as we wear tattoos... Is not a must to be a vegan, but it seems it goes along with the vegan personality.

ETA: I just notice this is the vegetarian department... for them is OK to eat honey, cheese and all that stuff...
#8 Old 12-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:

Folks who are vegan in all areas of their lives can run into all sorts of things you might never think of. Automobile tires (and bicycle tires) contain some animal products (don't remember just what!); camera film has gelatin in it. And there are some things that seem like contradictions to me. For instance, a vegan won't eat honey because it comes from bees, but they will eat fruit which can only form if a bee pollinates the flower. And, of course, vegans try to eat organic produce, but most organic produce is fertilized with manure, which comes from animals. It gets a little bit murky, at least to me. Interesting topic for discussion, though!

I noticed a few minutes after posting this that there's a very similar thread in the vegan forum, here I was just talking about vegetarian things

As for bees, they aren't exploited when they pollinate the flower and the fruit isn't a product of them directly, unlike honey. I recently did a college assignment on honey bee cognition, and they are much more intelligent than people give them credit for. In one study they were able to discriminate between human letters regardless of font, colour or size. In another they were trained to associate symmetrical targets with food, and picked up that abstract concept remarkably quickly.
#9 Old 12-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Beginner

I was recently surprised that the seasoning mix for 'beef and broccoli' Chinese food is actually veg. There's not beef in the flavoring... at all (the brand I found!) so that's pretty exciting. That was one of my fave meals, so now I just use that seasoning, but I use broccoli and onions instead!
#10 Old 12-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Thats what I was gonna say w-sauce...

Peace Luv and Happiness

Jennifer
#11 Old 12-05-2008, 03:42 AM
Beginner

I didn't know marshmallow wasn't even vegetarian lol. When I decided to cold turkey into a vegan lifestyle, I did some reading on the internet and for some reason missed the marshmallow chapter. It never even donned on me to check them out I always assumed they were sugar and more sugar. I used to make my fondant for cakes out of marshmallow. I had spent tons of time and ingredients perfecting a vegan layer cake only to cover it with MARSHMALLOW.

Now I know though. I found out here reading a thread actually not too long ago, maybe a month or two ago and I've been meat free (except marshallow) since end of February. Thankfully I haven't made fondant since the beginning and for the most part didn't eat a whole lot of marshmallow. But this is my baking season and everyone's birthday is here and everyone wants a pretty cake, so I've gotta find a new recipe soon!
#12 Old 12-05-2008, 05:19 AM
Beginner

Amongst the first thing I noticed (and thought was funny) was that Chicken, Beef, Smokey Bacon crisps were generally vegetarian whereas cheese and onion often wasn't (though that has changed over the past few years).

And the Sainsbury's chicken curry flavour noodles are vegan!

But what was a bit of an eye-opener was just how many proucts had bits of animal in them.

TTFN,

Jon
#13 Old 12-05-2008, 05:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Nukem View Post

But what was a bit of an eye-opener was just how many proucts had bits of animal in them.

I know, and isn't it SO annoying when they seem to chuck animal bits in for no reason? Recently I had a craving for spaghetti on toast, and luckily I checked the label because they had put fish oil in the spaghetti sauce. It seemed so pointless! I actually think it was so they could advertise it as being high in omega-3 but still, grr!
#14 Old 12-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Beginner

Quote:

This is why I don't drink Bloody Mary's anymore!
#15 Old 12-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Beginner

Well I didn't know that they slaughtered baby cows,horses,dogs,cats,whales,dolphins etc.
#16 Old 12-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Beginner

Jello. (I just learned about it here.) It's my little guys favorite and I'm stressing big time about whether to let him eat it or what I can replace it with. The first thing he ever pointed to was Jello.
#17 Old 12-07-2008, 12:44 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccolichick View Post

i was surprised to find out that caesar salad dressing wasn't vegetarian back in the day.

+1
#18 Old 12-07-2008, 02:34 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach_gypsy View Post

Jello. (I just learned about it here.) It's my little guys favorite and I'm stressing big time about whether to let him eat it or what I can replace it with. The first thing he ever pointed to was Jello.

There are lots of vegetarian jellies(yes, that's what the rest of the world calls it. Jello is a brand that was never exported that widely).

If you can find 'Hartley's' Jelly that's vegetarian. If you're lucky you should be able to find it in some stores selling British goods. Otherwise there must be soemwhere selling it. Otherwise, stores that cater for veg*ns would most likely have vegetarian alternatives.
#19 Old 12-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Yes, there are quite a few vegetarian gel desserts out there! You can still satisfy your little one without animal gelatin! I believe there is a brand (if you are in the US) called Horizon Fruit Gels that you can get at most grocery stores. Also Hunt's Snack Packs gel desserts contain no gelatin, and Kool-Aid Gels don't either.

EDIT to add: I just found out about another one- Dole Fruit-N-Gel cups are made with carageenan instead of gelatin. The Lime/Pineapple and Orange are vegan. Watch out for the Strawberry/Black Cherry gels though- I believe they contain carmine which is derived from insects!

Good Luck!

~Julie

"I remember the days when we talked for hours/And we were young, we thought we had superpowers/We weren't our problems, our age or our paychecks/And we weren't taking anybody's $h*t."
#20 Old 12-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Beginner

Wow, thanks! That was so helpful. :-D
#21 Old 12-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Wow, thanks! That was so helpful. :-D

No problem! Helpful is my middle name!

(Actually, it's Ann, but I do enjoy helping people out. )

~Julie

"I remember the days when we talked for hours/And we were young, we thought we had superpowers/We weren't our problems, our age or our paychecks/And we weren't taking anybody's $h*t."
#22 Old 12-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Beginner

There's actually a brand of vegetarian Caesar dressing; I can't remember the brand name of it (something like "Simply Natural), but it's organic, and found it in the organic section of the grocery store. No anchovies at all! It tastes a little different than normal caesar dressing, but close enough. Granted, this is in Nova Scotia, Canada, and I'm not sure if it'll exist in the U.S. or not!
#23 Old 12-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegbunny83 View Post

Yes, there are quite a few vegetarian gel desserts out there! You can still satisfy your little one without animal gelatin! I believe there is a brand (if you are in the US) called Horizon Fruit Gels that you can get at most grocery stores. Also Hunt's Snack Packs gel desserts contain no gelatin, and Kool-Aid Gels don't either.

EDIT to add: I just found out about another one- Dole Fruit-N-Gel cups are made with carageenan instead of gelatin. The Lime/Pineapple and Orange are vegan. Watch out for the Strawberry/Black Cherry gels though- I believe they contain carmine which is derived from insects!

~Julie

Wow, thanks Julie for sharing this! I stopped eating Jello and the like years ago when still an omni, because I found out about gelatin. Nice to know there's something without gelatin to take to work and snack on!

Also, I am another one who didn't know about Worchestershire sauce, however, I never liked it and never ate it before anyway. But the Caesar dressing broke my heart. Never knew it had anchiovies. Maybe I'll search and see if I can find one without anchiovies

My biggest surprise was finding that things like frosted Pop Tarts or cereals like Frosted Mini Wheats have gelatin in them, in the frosting! Gee.

I was also upset that I was, in many cases, hard pressed to find good vegetable soups, even minestrone in some cases, without chicken or beef broth! I found Progressive has some nice vegetarian soups and it's labeled on the back for most of the vegetarian ones. For ones not labled, read the ingrediants. Why does a vegetable soup even need meat broth? It's veggie soup? I never noticed this as an omni but would have even questioned it then. The thing I hate most - find meat broth or fish oils in something I thought I might like to eat.

I was just telling my mom tonight about some colorings coming from beatles, and I sort of said they "smush" the beatles to get the coloring. I really don't know if that's true but it just came out, and she goes "What? Poor, poor thangs." (She's from West VA & lived 25 yrs in TX, and has a cute mixed up accent. LOL!)
#24 Old 12-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Beginner

Soft serve has pig's fat and gelatin in it.

Also I read in the confessions thread that a few people didn't know that some kind of pop tart has gelatin in it.

Cat and dog food is made of the processed "end bits" of slaughter animals
#25 Old 12-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy_Mar View Post

Also I read in the confessions thread that a few people didn't know that some kind of pop tart has gelatin in it.

Cat and dog food is made of the processed "end bits" of slaughter animals

Aren't cats and dogs carnivores, though?
#26 Old 12-12-2008, 04:11 AM
Beginner

In the UK you can get a vegetarian Worcestershire sauce called "Life" - I'm sure there must be something similar elsewhere. It's sold in health food shops and also the "free-from" sections in supermarkets.

Something I've only just found out (thanks to this board) are vegetarian are Starburst sweets - though they'll always be Opal Fruits to me! Must go and buy some for the first time in 25 years. I just assumed they'd have gelatine and cochineal in them...
#27 Old 12-12-2008, 04:56 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunVamp View Post

Aren't cats and dogs carnivores, though?

Cats are carnivores, dogs are omnivores.
#28 Old 12-12-2008, 05:09 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy_Mar View Post

WHAT???????????????????????????????
#29 Old 12-12-2008, 05:58 AM
Beginner

^^ I was just about to say that! haha not that I ever eat ice cream anymore, but ughh. That's kind of off
#30 Old 12-12-2008, 06:15 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrifer View Post

There are lots of vegetarian jellies(yes, that's what the rest of the world calls it. Jello is a brand that was never exported that widely).

If you can find 'Hartley's' Jelly that's vegetarian. If you're lucky you should be able to find it in some stores selling British goods. Otherwise there must be soemwhere selling it. Otherwise, stores that cater for veg*ns would most likely have vegetarian alternatives.

Oooh my god, I'm so glad. I just came to think that I would have to abolish the plan to get tons of my beloved Hartley's Jelly (going to England in a few days) because of the gelatine... I'm so happy, thank you

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page