Is there any already made pie crust at the store that doesn't have lard in it? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-29-2008, 09:02 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Honestly, I've yet to find one. You know, they're really simple to make. What do you plan on using it for?
#3 Old 08-29-2008, 09:24 PM

Your best bet would be to look at a health food store. I found one that was vegan and organic.
#4 Old 08-29-2008, 09:25 PM

i'm planning to bring it over to a friends house, shes making quiche!
#5 Old 08-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Kiz

I don't know where you live... I'm guessing by the unfamiliar store names it's not Australia so I can't really help you out. Check the ingredients on packs? I use store-bought frozen pastry all the time. Even vegan pastry. I've got a giant pack of Borg's Puff Pastry in the freezer, it's vegan, alas it is also an Aussie brand. Quite a few brands do short crust, too, that's vegan. Look for the brands touting they are "healthier" and look for "cholesterol free" labels. There's a trend these days for replacing lard or butter with canola and the like in the name of health.

If you can't find an actual "pie crust" grab some pastry sheets and use them. They work quite well.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#6 Old 08-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Here are a few recipes that sound good!

Pie Crusts
#7 Old 08-29-2008, 11:17 PM

Graham cracker crusts usually don't. I know Keebler is safe.
#8 Old 08-29-2008, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

If you look at post 4, it says she's making a quiche
#9 Old 08-29-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar-star View Post

what company makes it? & where can it be found? (safeway, albertsons, fred meyer, ect?)

thank you!

You just killed my buzz. I just bought some today and, sure enough, it's got lard. What a let down.

For quiche, I'm going to sub crust with frozen hash browns, tossed in a little oil. It takes a little more prep time, but it always good. Whooda thunk tofu quiche wasn't even vegetarian =(

http://www.ourveggiekitchen.com
#10 Old 08-29-2008, 11:48 PM
Kiz

Making your own crust is actually pretty easy. You don't need to be a great cook to make an ok quiche crust. Have you thought of giving it a go?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#11 Old 08-30-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

If you look at post 4, it says she's making a quiche

oh man, quiche with gram cracker crust would be...yeah, sorry it would just be digusting
#12 Old 08-30-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Making your own crust is actually pretty easy. You don't need to be a great cook to make an ok quiche crust. Have you thought of giving it a go?

i'd love to try it! but i don't think making it right now for the first time would be such a good idea, i'm bringing it to my friends house & its for dinner there, so her parents will probably be eatting it too. i'm bringing the crust to avoid not accepting lard crust, but if it tastes bad...yeah you get the picture
#13 Old 08-30-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:

oh man, quiche with gram cracker crust would be...yeah, sorry it would just be digusting

Yes, quite! Sorry- thought I had read each post. Does anyone else get lost in these threads with all the ads interspersed??
#14 Old 08-30-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiggieMama View Post

Does anyone else get lost in these threads with all the ads interspersed??

i do
#15 Old 08-30-2008, 01:47 AM

I *think* the Marie Callendars ready-made ones don't. Also Whole foods sells one. For a price.

I am pretty sure one of the major (US, west coast) stores had a store brand that didn't use lard... I'll have to go back and check...
#16 Old 08-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Rather interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiggieMama View Post

Yes, quite! Sorry- thought I had read each post. Does anyone else get lost in these threads with all the ads interspersed??

It's cool You know what's good with the gram crust? Homemade key lime pie I found a really good recipe made with Cool Whip and kool-aid on KraftFoods.com that is gelatin free and EASY!

Quote:

i'd love to try it! but i don't think making it right now for the first time would be such a good idea, i'm bringing it to my friends house & its for dinner there, so her parents will probably be eatting it too. i'm bringing the crust to avoid not accepting lard crust, but if it tastes bad...yeah you get the picture

Trust me, you can't screw up crust. There are only a few ingredients. If I can do it, you can do it
#17 Old 08-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

[youtube]iS0MltybI14[/youtube]

IMO, homemade is SO much better than store bought anyway.
#18 Old 08-30-2008, 09:54 AM

There are ready made pie crusts out there that are lard-free. You just have to read the labels. Lately though, I've been using puff pastry for a lot of stuff like quiches. It's vegan and can really make a beautiful, rustic crust. Peppridge farms is vegan... not exactly fat free but delicious
#19 Old 08-30-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Trust me, you can't screw up crust. There are only a few ingredients. If I can do it, you can do it

You'd be surprised. I, for one, lack the ability to roll dough into anything circular. It's fun to play the 'ink blot' game after I make a batch of roti =).

#20 Old 08-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti View Post

You'd be surprised. I, for one, lack the ability to roll dough into anything circular. It's fun to play the 'ink blot' game after I make a batch of roti =).

hahaha... it doesn't have to be perfect. I made roti for the first time a few weeks ago and it didn't look round at all *haha* I've had success with dough though. I make it for my homemade pot pies.
#21 Old 08-31-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I *think* the Marie Callendars ready-made ones don't. Also Whole foods sells one. For a price.

I am pretty sure one of the major (US, west coast) stores had a store brand that didn't use lard... I'll have to go back and check...

thats what i got!

thank you!

the quiche turned out great! <3
#22 Old 08-31-2008, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Glad it turned out I expect a report back sometime soon on a HOMEMADE pie crust
#23 Old 08-31-2008, 11:11 PM

i'll work on it...eventually...

maybe around a holiday that involves pie, hmm thanksgiving? it'll take my mind off of all the people eatting dead turkey flesh
#24 Old 08-31-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:

i'll work on it...eventually...

maybe around a holiday that involves pie, hmm thanksgiving? it'll take my mind off of all the people eatting dead turkey flesh

I've been wondering what to do for Thanksgiving this year. Last year I made mini pumpkins baked with wild mushroom stuffing. Maybe I can find something the kids enjoy to put inside the pumpkins. They've never not had turkey.

#25 Old 09-01-2008, 12:11 AM

I make my own crust with coconut oil BTW. Just had to add that.

I *do* happen to know there are vegan crusts out there because they are great in a pinch, but I ALMOST always make my own...
#26 Old 09-01-2008, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti View Post

I've been wondering what to do for Thanksgiving this year. Last year I made mini pumpkins baked with wild mushroom stuffing. Maybe I can find something the kids enjoy to put inside the pumpkins. They've never not had turkey.

oohhh i've never had that before, was it good?
#27 Old 09-01-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I *think* the Marie Callendars ready-made ones don't.

Unless they've changed the ingredients in the six months or so since I last bought pie crusts, this is correct. Marie Callender's were lard-free and quite good -- suprisingly so for frozen pie crusts. As for where to buy them, no help there. I got them at the commissary. But our commissary has pitiful selection of frozen foods, so I'm guessing they shouldn't be hard to find in a real grocery store.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page