Does Red Lobster Have Any vegetarian options - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-25-2008, 06:34 AM
Banned

Todays my moms birthday and she said she was going to red lobster and asked if i wanted to come. I asked her what type of of food did they serve thier and she said seafood. Then ill go thier but im not eating thier . She said is it because your trying to eat vegetarian . I said yes then she said look to see if they had any vegetarian options so thats what im doing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-25-2008, 06:40 AM
Beginner

you can see their menus here: http://www.redlobster.com/menus/ but you have to enter your zip code so I couldn't check myself
#3 Old 08-25-2008, 06:41 AM
Banned

Malik , assuming that "Red lobster " is a restaurant , they might an on-line menu , or , better still , a contact Ph number to ring and ask them what vegetarian options do they have .
#4 Old 08-25-2008, 06:41 AM
Beginner

I think Red Lobster can be a bit tougher place to find vegetarian meals.

BUT - you're going to celebrate your mom's birthday at the restaurant of her choice. So ... order a salad and a baked potato and enjoy the company.

If you're not vegan there are some definite options. You can order the linguini alfredo without the chicken or seafood. You can order a salad with just about any of their dressings. You can have a baked potato or the rice pilaf. They often have steamed veggies as a side dish as well as rice pilaf.

No you won't have a grand gourmet vegetarian feast. But eat a snack before you go. Order what you can from the menu (you could even ask for a plate of plain pasta with olive oil on it and then add salt, pepper and lemon juice on your own if you're avoiding dairy). And let your mom enjoy her birthday meal.

It's not that complicated.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#5 Old 08-25-2008, 06:43 AM
Beginner

I usually order a side of pasta noodles and put butter and cheese or italian dressing on them. You can have salad, a baked potato, cheddar bay biscuits, macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, asparagus, broccoli...you can make it work!! It's definitely do-able. P.S. These are vegetarian options, not vegan!! Peace & Love!!
#6 Old 08-25-2008, 06:45 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

I think Red Lobster can be a bit tougher place to find vegetarian meals.

BUT - you're going to celebrate your mom's birthday at the restaurant of her choice. So ... order a salad and a baked potato and enjoy the company.

If you're not vegan there are some definite options. You can order the linguini alfredo without the chicken or seafood. You can order a salad with just about any of their dressings. You can have a baked potato or the rice pilaf. They often have steamed veggies as a side dish as well as rice pilaf.

No you won't have a grand gourmet vegetarian feast. But eat a snack before you go. Order what you can from the menu (you could even ask for a plate of plain pasta with olive oil on it and then add salt, pepper and lemon juice on your own if you're avoiding dairy). And let your mom enjoy her birthday meal.

It's not that complicated.

If you order alfredo make sure you ask if it's made with chicken broth. Alfredo sauces are usually made with a chicken broth so it's always good to double check the ingredients.

Also, if you DO get a pasta dish, order a SIDE OF pasta ala carte with the sauce. Otherwise you end up paying for whatever meat is supposed to be on the dish even if you don't order get it.
#7 Old 08-25-2008, 07:36 AM
Beginner

Baked potato and salad would be a good place to start. Look at their menu, though... They might have something that seafood could easily be left out of. (Be sure you ask your waitperson about ingredients and if they turn out to be knowledgeable/helpful, they might be able to make some suggestions -- don't expect them to know what a vegetarian is, however.)
#8 Old 08-25-2008, 07:42 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

If you order alfredo make sure you ask if it's made with chicken broth. Alfredo sauces are usually made with a chicken broth so it's always good to double check the ingredients.

This must be a regional thing? My daughter (not vegan) orders Fettucini Alfredo every time we go out. Seriously every time, as long as whatever restaurant has it, which most places do. And though we do ask to make sure, she has never come across chicken broth in the sauce. I've heard this before though, which is WHY we always ask...
#9 Old 08-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesand View Post

Malik , assuming that "Red lobster " is a restaurant , they might an on-line menu , or , better still , a contact Ph number to ring and ask them what vegetarian options do they have .

I'd go for phoning then if they haven't got any at the moment you could discuss a 'special' for you and maybe they'd think about adding it for non-sea food lovers.
#10 Old 08-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Beginner

I went there with my co-workers only a few weeks after becoming veg. I had the linguini alfredo minus the shrimp.

The waitress asked if I was vegetarian or just a total seafood lover, I said I was vegetarian, and proceeded to have a really positive conversation with my co-workers about how easy I had found it and how I was really doing well.
#11 Old 08-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Beginner

I don't go anymore.. but when I did, I'd get the fettuccine alfredo as a side, and ask for seasonal veggies in it. Eat the biscuits... have some salad. It's a meal.
#12 Old 08-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Beginner

I live in Southern Indiana & went a few weeks ago. They were HORRIBLE. I was out-voted by a group of friends to go there. I figured I could get a pasta dish minus the seafood or chicken & the waiter said they couldn't do that. He said it comes pre-mixed... eww. I had a baked potato, asparagus, & a side salad. Very disappointed & won't be going back.

Congrats to all of those that have a Red Lobster that is accommodating.
#13 Old 08-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Beginner

I always get a side of the alfredo with a side of broccoli. Once, the cook got creative and positioned the broccoli in a circle around the noodles so it looked like a flower. I was tickled that my weird order broke up the monotony in some poor cook's day.
#14 Old 08-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Beginner

I thought the cheddar bay biscuits had lard in them?
#15 Old 08-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iria View Post

I always get a side of the alfredo with a side of broccoli. Once, the cook got creative and positioned the broccoli in a circle around the noodles so it looked like a flower. I was tickled that my weird order broke up the monotony in some poor cook's day.

That is so awesome!
#16 Old 08-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Beginner

it really is...
#17 Old 08-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Beginner

I love going to Red Lobster with my husband and his in-laws because they always go for some all-you-can-eat or another, so they order various sides with their meals and give them all to me so as to have more room for their seafood. I get a full, varied meal for free. Last time I went the waitress commented on it, and said that their cook had worked with vegetarians before and next time I came in I should mention it because he'd be happy to make something special for me.
#18 Old 08-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Beginner

My boyfriend eats meat, and we still go to Red Lobster occasionally. I've never had any problems there, I always order some sort of pasta. The last time I was there they even mixed my broccoli into the pasta for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

That really worries me, as I've never heard of an alfredo being made with chicken broth... I'll make sure to double check next time we go. I used to order the broccoli cheddar soup at Fridays all the time, but just as a precaution I'd always ask whether or not it was vegetarian first. For years they'd always say, 'yes, it's completely vegetarian'. Then we went one year during Lent, and when I ordered the soup and a salad the waiter said 'Oh, just so you know, we use chicken broth as a base. Since it's Lent I wouldn't want you accidentally eating meat'. So apparently he assumed that since I was ordering a vegetarian meal, it must have been for religious purposes. Because those trump any ethical/moral purposes a person might have for not eating meat. *rolls eyes*
#19 Old 08-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Beginner

I've never heard of alfredo sauce being made with chicken broth, either. I've never made it that way at home, even in my pre-veg days. The things restaurants do to perfectly good food... *sigh*
#20 Old 08-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead View Post

I had a baked potato, asparagus, & a side salad. Very disappointed & won't be going back.

Not that I would *choose* to go to Red Lobster, but if I were stuck going, and managed to get a baked potato, asparagus and side salad at an obviously omni friendly place, I would be THRILLED. That's a perfectly acceptable meal and more than I often eat for lunch.

Remember, even if you're "outvoted" or "stuck" at one of these places, make the best of it, don't ruin everyone elses meal or celebration and don't make a fuss of being miserable/starving... thereby proving how "difficult" veganism is. Food isn't the big main focus of the event, you're out to socialize and hang with friends/co-workers/family because they WANTED YOU THERE... enjoy the mealTIME and the opportunity to be with people who like and appreciate you... whether you eat ANYTHING or not. Have a Margarita and drink your dinner, (pretty soon you really won't CARE if you don't have anything to eat!)
#21 Old 08-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Have a Margarita and drink your dinner, (pretty soon you really won't CARE if you don't have anything to eat!)

HERE HERE. hip hip hoo-ray...hip hip hoo-ray!! This is the easiest solution at an omni restaurant. Get a beer you know is vegan (anheusier busch was before they sold to european, so not sure anymore - but everywhere has that), and just drink those carbs, they'll hold you over.

I would have to say you were drunk thinking that there was chicken broth in the fettucini alfredo, but since more than one person has heard this, i'll hold my tongue. But whoever is making it with any kind of stock is off his/her rocker. Alfredo is not a derivative of a mother sauce, so you can't really *prove* that it shouldn't be in there. but it is really just reduced cream, maybe some fat a little garlic, and parmesaan for salt and pepper. That's really all you should see in an alfredo, unless it's a tarragon, or some other specific type of alfredo. 2ยข
#22 Old 08-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyb View Post

I would have to say you were drunk thinking that there was chicken broth in the fettucini alfredo

I wasn't the one who said it. I certainly haven't ever encountered it.
#23 Old 08-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I wasn't the one who said it. I certainly haven't ever encountered it.

sorry, i was addressing the previous posters saying that, not anyone in particular really. But we do live in an omni world. so, i guess, you have to check
#24 Old 08-28-2008, 01:29 AM
Beginner

There really can be meat in just about anything. I have heard of pasta sauces, beans, soups, you name it.

One time I even asked the waitress "Is the vegetable soup vegetarian?"... She said she thought so. I asked her to double check with the kitchen... and sure enough! they cooked it with ham hocks for "flavour".

SICK!

Also, there is a pub that sells veggie burgers topped with lettuce, tomato, and caesar dressing. I ALWAYS ask for no caesar and then leave a comment card pointing out that putting fish on the vegetarian burger is strange. URGH
#25 Old 08-28-2008, 05:14 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Not that I would *choose* to go to Red Lobster, but if I were stuck going, and managed to get a baked potato, asparagus and side salad at an obviously omni friendly place, I would be THRILLED. That's a perfectly acceptable meal and more than I often eat for lunch.

Remember, even if you're "outvoted" or "stuck" at one of these places, make the best of it, don't ruin everyone elses meal or celebration and don't make a fuss of being miserable/starving... thereby proving how "difficult" veganism is. Food isn't the big main focus of the event, you're out to socialize and hang with friends/co-workers/family because they WANTED YOU THERE... enjoy the mealTIME and the opportunity to be with people who like and appreciate you... whether you eat ANYTHING or not. Have a Margarita and drink your dinner, (pretty soon you really won't CARE if you don't have anything to eat!)

Normally I do like those foods, but that night I had my heart set on pasta. I didn't dare act like it was a problem - I already get enough flack from some of my friends for being a veg. I'll know in the future if we go there not to expect pasta & to psych myself up for veggies only lol.

#26 Old 08-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Beginner

After checking the menu for Red Lobster, I think it deserves the award for Veggie Hell.
#27 Old 08-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Beginner

What sucks is I got a gift card for Red Lobster for my birthday. That was 3 months ago and I haven't been. Maybe we will go and just have drinks. I swear I had read here that someone went and had a great vegan meal. I must be wrong cause I've looked at the menu and thought it looked awful too.

Found it. Here's the post I was thinking of... and not vegan:

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...&postcount=234
#28 Old 08-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Beginner

I wish someone would chime in about the biscuits! If they are veggie, I am going to dash to the nearest Red Lobster and absolutely just stuff myself with them! For some reason I am under the impression they have lard in them, so I have been avoiding them. They are the ONE thing I miss SOOOO much, and I have seriously thought about eating them in private. I'm never given in, but it would be such a reilef if they were veggie after all, and I could eat them again.
#29 Old 08-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySoStarry View Post

I wish someone would chime in about the biscuits! If they are veggie, I am going to dash to the nearest Red Lobster and absolutely just stuff myself with them! For some reason I am under the impression they have lard in them, so I have been avoiding them. They are the ONE thing I miss SOOOO much, and I have seriously thought about eating them in private. I'm never given in, but it would be such a reilef if they were veggie after all, and I could eat them again.

I don't know where our recipe is, but my mom bakes some cheddar biscuits that taste a lot like theirs. You could try googling "cheddar biscuit recipe" and see what comes up.
#30 Old 08-29-2008, 02:41 AM
Beginner

Or you could try emailing/calling them

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page