Processed vs. unprocessed soy? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-24-2008, 09:08 PM

I'm a little bit ashamed to admit that I don't really know what the difference is. What does it mean when soy is processed or unprocessed? How do you know which is which?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-24-2008, 10:18 PM

Virtually all soy is "processed" unless you are eating edamame or something.

veganGO - http://www.vegango.com/
A forum for vegan activists.
#3 Old 08-31-2008, 05:14 AM

I've got to admit that I'm a little perplexed when it comes to soy.

I've seen articles that warn of the use of any soy that is not feremented, as soy in it's "natural" state has many toxins that are dangerous.

I've done searches and have found ample evidence for both sides (soy is bad vs. soy is good).

The best advice I've been offered is "everything in moderation".

The one fear I do have is when the "evidence" suggests that soy product can be harmful to expectant mothers and unborn babies...that's something I wouldn't want to take a chance on.
#4 Old 08-31-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEarth View Post

Virtually all soy is "processed" unless you are eating edamame or something.

Exactly. If you're eating edamame, or even loose soy beans, you're eating unprocessed soy. If you eat natto (fermented soy beans), you can call that processed or unprocessed soy depending on your view. If you're eating soymilk, tofu, veggieburgers, anything that isn't just a soy bean, it's processed - meaning not in its natural state.
#5 Old 08-31-2008, 08:06 AM

This is so confusing to me! I've tried to research this as well, and have found so much evidence on both sides. I eat edamame beans a few times a week, and eat tofu and soy-based products too. Should I be worried?? Is this bad for me?? I've also read that fermented soy is ok.. but I don't eat any fermented soy.. *sigh*
#6 Old 08-31-2008, 09:01 AM

I personally think that the whole "soy is bad for you" thing was started by the meat industry to discourage the use of faux-meat products.

veganGO - http://www.vegango.com/
A forum for vegan activists.
#7 Old 09-01-2008, 12:42 AM

Here's a breakdown of what I've very recently learned, and I have to admit, it's pretty interesting. It's true that soybeans are soy in a pure state.

However...it's best to eat soy products that are fermented, like tempeh or miso, because the fermentation process neutralizes the phytic acid.

Phytic acid is found in all beans, but in very high quantities in soybeans. Too much phytic acid actually causes malnutrition if ingested in too high of quantities.

I prefer to use tofu as a treat now, and I really try not to buy any fake meats, sausages, or fake deli meats, etc. I don't think processed foods are all that good for you. I think that many people have the argument that our bodies are not designed to digest meat, yet they're eating up all sorts of processed soy foods. Well, our bodies are REALLY not designed to eat that stuff, I don't think.
#8 Old 09-01-2008, 02:07 AM

Tofu has been around for millennia and seems to have served much of Asia well.

Personally, I've heard more "soy is bad for you" statements from vegetarians than anyone else.
#9 Old 09-01-2008, 03:42 AM

Everything in moderation, including moderation. So, it's not a good idea to eat huge amounts of any one thing - but if you do it very occasionally, it's not gonna kill you.

Soy is good for you. Ridiculous quantities of soy are not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page