Negative Health Consequences of Nutritional Yeast? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By stelaris

#1 Old 08-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Beginner

Sorry if this is a repeat thread, I did search the forums...

Although I'm still a lacto-ovo vegetarian, I've been experimenting more with vegan cooking. I noticed that many recipes call for nutritional yeast. After a bit of research I decided buy some and try it out, but the guy who helped me to find it at the health food store was a bit disconcerting. He said that it is REALLY bad for you. When I asked him why, he hesitated, and told me that the body rejects it and I should really do some of my own research. He then tried to talk me out of buying it by complaining about the taste, etc.

I can't find any good information or research to validate whether there really are negative consequences, wondering if someone out there could inform me.
Damnwell_D likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Beginner

I've never heard of a bad consequence to nutritional yeast, though I suppose if you over eat any one thing that could be bad... I did a search on it and nothing negative came up.
#3 Old 08-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

He sounded like he didn't know what he was talking about. He probably had another customer tell him that and just passed the info to you without researching it. When mixed with stuff, the flavor is VERY good. I use it in Seitan, Vegan Mac and Cheese, and other recipes that call for parmesan.

Quote:
It is a source of protein and vitamins, especially the B-complex vitamins. It is also naturally low in fat and sodium. Some brands of nutritional yeast, though not all, are fortified with vitamin B12. The vitamin B12 is produced separately from bacteria and then added to the yeast.

From Wikipedia.

Go buy some
#4 Old 08-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Beginner

I think he means because of the yeast, but AFAIK the yeast is inactive in nutritional yeast anyway.
#5 Old 08-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Beginner

^^Yes, it is a non active yeast.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#6 Old 08-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Beginner

I've never heard anything bad about nutritional yeast. I think that more often than not the people working at such stores aren't near as knowledgeable as they'd like to have you think. Not sure what this guy's problem with nutritional yeast could be, and you'd think if it were REALLY bad for you, he wouldn't know how to advise on taste.

I like the light nutty taste of nutritional yeast fwiw.
#7 Old 08-24-2008, 12:46 AM
Beginner

Thanks you guys. Yeah, I told him that it was deactivated, he just screwed up his face and repeated that yeast is bad for you. He was extremely adamant about it. I was surprised because it was an organic health food store so I assumed he would know what he was talking about. I bought it anyway.

The only thing I could come up with was this supposed connection between MSG and nutritional yeast, but it doesn't sound the least bit legitimate and it doesn't even mention the health aspect:

http://www.daystarbotanicals.com/nutritionalyeast.html

There's also some irrelevant stuff about (active) yeast and yeast infections.

I'm thinking that if it's as terrible as he made it sound, he wouldn't be the only one criticizing it, especially considering the number of healthy people who actually enjoy it as an ingredient, supplement, condiment etc.
#8 Old 08-24-2008, 01:12 AM
Beginner

Even if it was bad (it's not), cheese is a whole lot worse for you. Yet I'm sure if you had gone to buy some organic 'humane' cheese, no one would've complained.
#9 Old 08-24-2008, 05:20 AM
Banned

i've seen a similar article: http://www.bodyecology.com/08/02/21/...ed_to_know.php

personally, i'd go with the 'if it doesn't make you feel like crap, go ahead and eat it' policy. there are so many people making so many claims about this and that being bad one minute and good the next, that until someone really credible gives me solid evidence and explainations that don't sound too cosmic or involve selling me something, i'm just gonna use my common sense instead of driving myself insane over it.

its also worth considering that you don't generally need a whole lot (or any) acredited nutrition qualifications, critical thinking skills, or other special powers to get a job working in a health food store, for the most part.

while i'm sure some employees in some places really do know what they're talking about, and are really quite educated on things, i'm also relatively sure that some are also completely cosmic weirdos who educate themselves on the writings of complete quacks, who beleive, absorb and spout heresay from other cosmic weirdos, who might have a small invisable pink and purple piebald pony spirit-guide called patick whispering in their ear and feeding them ultimate truths and wisdom on alternate tuesdays at 3pm, or who get their education from the promo leaflets and sales pitches that rival distributors give out about their products.

i'm glad you're trying to find a more reliable source for info. patrick is notoriously fickle and contrary.
#10 Old 08-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Beginner

Strange... he must have been an avid meat eater...LOL.

First off, I've never been to a store where they did not try to sell you something, especially if you wanted it. And as we all know, depending on where you buy the yeast and how large the package - it can be a bit expensive.

Hmmm... I've never heard these things about nutritional yeast. Maybe he really didn't know what he was talking about.

When I first bought mine at Whole Foods Market, the sales person spoke the exact opposite about it, and actually told me what sorts of things the stuff is good in/on.
#11 Old 08-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Beginner

I bought a bag of the stuff today. I plan on making some Mac Daddy a la Veganomicon with it!!
#12 Old 05-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelaris View Post

Sorry if this is a repeat thread, I did search the forums...

Although I'm still a lacto-ovo vegetarian, I've been experimenting more with vegan cooking. I noticed that many recipes call for nutritional yeast. After a bit of research I decided buy some and try it out, but the guy who helped me to find it at the health food store was a bit disconcerting. He said that it is REALLY bad for you. When I asked him why, he hesitated, and told me that the body rejects it and I should really do some of my own research. He then tried to talk me out of buying it by complaining about the taste, etc.

I can't find any good information or research to validate whether there really are negative consequences, wondering if someone out there could inform me.

Nutritional yeast is bad for you, in fact, the good yeast is the yeast that is naturally occurring in your food -- in other words -- it has not been added by man, it is present just like the naturally occuring vitamins, minerals, etc., Persons with candida albicans, and any other bacterial/fungal problems should not be using any man-man or man-added yeast preps. Yeast preps such as beer, wine, breads, cakes, etc.

Naturally occuring yeast (not man-made or man-added) are in raw fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, beans. These are the good guys since they eat the bad guy yeasties.
#13 Old 05-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Beginner

^Any actual studies or links to back up your reasoning for nutritional yeast being "bad"?

As for the person at the counter, they were just trying to push their views down your throat. There are always people who consider something else "bad" even if there is no evidence to back it up. Not once have I heard anything about nutritional yeast being bad for you (especially nothing backed up with studies or anything).
#14 Old 05-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Beginner

Nutritional yeast is fine... Go ahead and eat it.

It is truly delicious on popcorn with olive oil and seasoning salt. YUM!
#15 Old 05-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Ankle Biter

Nutritional yeast is bad. Very bad. Nasty in fact. It smells like dirty feet.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#16 Old 05-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Nutritional yeast is bad. Very bad. Nasty in fact. It smells like dirty feet.

It does! But it tastes soo good!

Large amounts of nutritional yeast could be harmful, as it is high in purines. There is some info on that here. The recommended daily limit is 2 tbsp. I can't imagine eating more than 2 tbsp of the stuff a day, every day, long enough for negative health effects to appear

Overall though, I would have to say that the net effect is positive (provided you're not eating massive amounts of it) as it is a good source of some vitamins.
#17 Old 05-18-2009, 04:10 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

It does! But it tastes soo good!

Large amounts of nutritional yeast could be harmful, as it is high in purines. There is some info on that here. The recommended daily limit is 2 tbsp. I can't imagine eating more than 2 tbsp of the stuff a day, every day, long enough for negative health effects to appear

Overall though, I would have to say that the net effect is positive (provided you're not eating massive amounts of it) as it is a good source of some vitamins.

Yea it does smell like crap. I've also found here that the kind I find in the health store bulk bins tastes AWFUL but the redstar brand they sell prepackaged tastes completely different and tasty . Also, I don't like the taste of cooked nutritional yeast...like if you use it for a gravy. No clue why, it just tastes gross to me. I only use it in one cooked recipe where you can't really taste it because it's such a small amount. I prefer it sprinkled on popcorn and things like that
#18 Old 06-28-2013, 01:49 PM
Beginner

i really like nutritional yeast. but then i heard from my cousins mom that she and her family did research(they loved nutritional yeast) and they found places on the internet where it said nutritional yeast is not good for you. i'm trying to find where people may say that now but i only found one person. i will look some more

#19 Old 06-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy View Post

i really like nutritional yeast. but then i heard from my cousins mom that she and her family did research(they loved nutritional yeast) and they found places on the internet where it said nutritional yeast is not good for you. i'm trying to find where people may say that now but i only found one person. i will look some more

There's talk of it being a form of MSG. Like soooo many other foods. I disregard that, if I were to worry about nut. yeast I'd have to worry about soooo many other things and go on an all organic, raw food diet. Not happening. Like Fyvel said, you'd have to eat a lot more than I could imagine. I'd never eat more than 2 tbls. a day.

I just learned the Red Star nut. yeast in our Whole Foods bulk bin does NOT contain B12! I've never bought it there, I buy it from a local NFS which keeps it refrigerated in small tubs and does list B12.

Red Stars website doesn't have nutritional info, so I contacted them for an answer.

Don't assume nut. yeast has B12. I knew this was true of other brands, but I always assumed all Red star had it since mine does.

#20 Old 06-30-2013, 12:57 AM
Beginner

I'd say unless you find any solid evidence that it is harmful, just listen to your body. If you feel good after eating it, then great. Me personally, my body doesn't like nutritional yeast so I now avoid it but everyone's different.
#21 Old 06-30-2013, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

In the UK you can buy Engevita nutritional yeast (produced in Estonia for Marigold) that doesn't contain B12. Just in the last few months, they've brought out a version that contains B12 and zinc. It's quite a bit more expensive so I'm sticking with the original. Of course no doubt the original will soon be discontinued so you have to buy the more expensive version which will have been produced at little extra cost to the original...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page