Help Me w/ Low Fiber Fruits & Veggies - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Beginner

I need to eat low fiber fruits and veggies at present for my stomach disease.

I can't have skins, seeds, or raw except banana. Nothing in the broccoli/cauli/cabbage family. No whole citrus. No legumes or nuts. No whole wheat products.

So far I have:

banana

melon

applesauce

peach.necatrine peeled

pear pealed

green beans well cooked

squash w/o seeds

mushrooms

Tomato sauce & canned tomato, but no whole tomatoes (skin & seeds)

<shrug>?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-21-2008, 11:18 PM
Beginner

I'm guessing you have IBS or Crohns or Colitis or something. Have you contacted a support group in your area or online?

With the foods you listed you could survive for maybe some weeks -- when would you be allowed to incorporate some more fibre foods into your diet?
#3 Old 08-22-2008, 04:47 AM
Beginner

I have gastroparesis and am not aware of a support group around here for that, but I have one online. Some people can eat nothing and have feeding tubes. There is are lists of what is best to avoid, but what to eat is so individual that there really isn' one. I'd like to make a list of low fiber fruits & veggies, Also well cooked or blended are toerated better.

I've been having problems and need low fiber foods at first to start an elimination diet. Starting with a food that doesn't make me sick, and add foods in and if one bothers me, eliminate it.

The problem with fiber is that is can form a bezoar. It's like a hair ball in a cat. They have to be surgically removed because the digestion is so slowed that the fiber remains in the gut. I'm trying to be safe. It's hard to tell if there is a bezoar because until it causes problems.

Bottom line maybe I can add more fiber back in later...I'm just trying to avoid a problem. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sun View Post

I'm guessing you have IBS or Crohns or Colitis or something. Have you contacted a support group in your area or online?

With the foods you listed you could survive for maybe some weeks -- when would you be allowed to incorporate some more fibre foods into your diet?

#4 Old 08-22-2008, 05:07 AM
Beginner

wow that's really rough! So can you have cooked fruits? You can cook almost any fruit I'd assume--since I saw applesauce you can make some interesting combo sauces like pear, peach, nectarine...

are mangos ok? papaya? They seem really smooth to me.

avacado?
#5 Old 08-22-2008, 05:13 AM
Beginner

Citrus fruits? Oranges, grapefruit.. I'm not so sure. But there's no fiber in my OJ...
#6 Old 08-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Beginner

Does it help if food is blended really, really well? With the blender I have (a Vitamix) it blends seeds and skins and everything into something that is super smooth. I know you can't have seeds and skins but would it help with the other foods (fruits and vegetables) without the skins and seeds to have them blended really well?
#7 Old 08-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sun View Post

Does it help if food is blended really, really well?

It still would not be a low-residue diet, which is what conditions such as hers usually require.

Wendy, do you have a fiber level that you are to stay under?

Using something like www.thedailyplate. can help you keep track and know what foods are lowest in fiber.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#8 Old 08-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Beginner

I don't have a specific fiber level set, I just have to see what bothers me. I just want to feel good again. Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

It still would not be a low-residue diet, which is what conditions such as hers usually require.

Wendy, do you have a fiber level that you are to stay under?

Using something like www.thedailyplate. can help you keep track and know what foods are lowest in fiber.

#9 Old 08-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Beginner

hey.. i assume you found these via google, but just in case:

http://www.dietaryfiberfood.com/low-fiber.php

http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/NR/rdonlyr...struction1.pdf This one also has tips on how to eat, such as very little at a time... Even if this isn't your condition, the tips might help?

http://www.kemh.health.wa.gov.au/gen...ssion/6035.pdf

None of these are vegan, but they all have some food suggestions that are... *hugs* i want you to feel better!
#10 Old 08-23-2008, 12:04 AM
Beginner

my sympathies
#11 Old 08-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Beginner

This is EXACTLY what I needed. Thank you Manda and everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthly Delight View Post

hey.. i assume you found these via google, but just in case:

http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/NR/rdonlyr...struction1.pdf This one also has tips on how to eat, such as very little at a time... Even if this isn't your condition, the tips might help?

*hugs* i want you to feel better!

#12 Old 08-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Hey girl, I was working on getting your recipe list together and saw this post. My Mom has IBS and is limited on what she can eat. I really don't have many recipes that fit this diet This one MIGHT, but I'm not sure:

-Vegan Mac and Cheese

Feel free to browse my blog and see what you can make and/or modify to work

http://shippersx.com/blog/

If all else fails, you can live off Vegan Elvis Cupcakes

I know links have been posting, but here's another one that lists high and low fiber veggies.

Good luck! If something else comes to mind or I come across a recipe, I'll let you know!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page