So I found this beyond ironic..... (Blood type O and meat-eating) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-24-2008, 07:50 AM

"So, youre an O. You already know that having type O blood suggests that you might be competitive, goal oriented and a real meat eater. Did you also know that anthropologists believe that type O is the oldest and most common blood type, originating in Southern Africa?"-Canadian blood services

I have NEVER liked meat(and obviously I am veg now), I am REALLY quite passive and uncompetitive, and as a child my life goal was...and no I am not kidding, my mother and other family confirms the fact as a sweet baby faced 8 year old I said I wanted to "marry a rich person, on life support, and while they are saying I do, I will have my foot on the plug...that way I will never have to work" Of course I was kidding, but still...

Out of curiousity, have any type o's had more trouble giving up meat/had cravings/been big meat eaters before going veg? I certainly haven't...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-24-2008, 07:56 AM

I am type O and will maintain that I admire people who care for meat and went veg anyway--for me going vegan was enormously easy because I had virtually cut out animal products unconciously anyway (yogurt was the only obviously non-vegan item I had to give up. The rest was a matter of replacing with vegan alternatives or just not caring.)
#3 Old 07-24-2008, 10:38 AM

I'm blood group O and again I didn't find it difficult going vegan.
#4 Old 07-24-2008, 10:41 AM

Didn't realize Canadian Blood services was buying into the "eat right for your type" BS.

(I'm type A, am supposed to benefit from a veg diet and I still think it's BS )
#5 Old 07-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Banned

what a load of twaddle. sounds like they're trying to lure people into learning something interesting about blood, by doing some kind of weird non-scientific horoscope type pitch.
#6 Old 07-24-2008, 10:52 AM

I wonder what exactly they are basing that on? I didn't realize it was so hard being an O. I have it easy with an A+, which is obviously the best blood grade you can get.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#7 Old 07-24-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post

I wonder what exactly they are basing that on?

Oh, im thinking...star position....tea leaves maybe.....
#8 Old 07-24-2008, 10:59 AM

I think I'm an AB+ or something like that. I don't believe a word of it. It's just not realistic. I'm sure certain blood groups metabolize meat or animal products easier than others. I still don't think they're ment to eat it, it's a choise.
#9 Old 07-24-2008, 11:05 AM

I have no idea what blood type I have. I've never been curious enough to ask my doctor. (I'm assuming they have it on my file.)
#10 Old 07-24-2008, 11:26 AM

I'm an O. I've never wanted to eat meat since I gave it up over a decade ago.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#11 Old 07-24-2008, 12:12 PM

I'm an O+, and yeah, I was a big meat eater as a child, but I didn't find it that difficult to give up either, although I am one of those people who still gets occasional cravings even after being veg a while (vegan nearly 2 years, veg*n more than 4 years total, pescatarian a couple of years before that).
#12 Old 07-24-2008, 12:40 PM

Also O+ and I never liked meat as a kid.
#13 Old 07-24-2008, 01:07 PM

I'm O and still struggle with giving up animal products.
#14 Old 07-24-2008, 01:16 PM

I am type O. I always THOUGHT I loved meat, cause my mom always told me I really did, and I really liked dishes with meat, but only because or preparation and sauces and stuff. Always hated steak... and plain chicken breast. I started realizing that I only liked things prepared in unhealthy ways, like deep fried chicken or chicken drowning in cream sauces at Indian restaurants. (of course this all sounds really gross to me now)

Giving everything up was so easy, so I guess I was never into meat that much after all.

My mom is type A and she has trouble eating fruits and veggies (she actually avoids all carbs as much as she can), lives off of meat pretty much, which I guess is the opposite of what she is supposed to "eat for her type" =P
#15 Old 07-24-2008, 01:33 PM

i'm O- and have no problems whatsoever. I've been veggie for just over 7 years, with the last 7 months being vegan

AND i have no problem giving blood every four months
#16 Old 07-24-2008, 02:07 PM

I guess I'm the stereotypical type O.

I love the taste of meat. I really do.

But I'm still going vegetarian. It's hard, but I just have to remind myself all the reasons I'm doing it when I get a craving.
#17 Old 07-24-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post

I wonder what exactly they are basing that on? I didn't realize it was so hard being an O. I have it easy with an A+, which is obviously the best blood grade you can get.

That's what I always say (I'm A+ too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiopeia View Post

I have no idea what blood type I have. I've never been curious enough to ask my doctor. (I'm assuming they have it on my file.)

If you donate blood, the Canadian blood services will send you a donor card with your blood type on it

Here in Florida when you donate blood (don't know about the rest of the US) they give you a number and you can log in a couple of weeks after to check your blood type. They also check your (total) cholesterol for free too (in addition to free movie tickets, etc).

Last time I donated blood I forgot to eat beforehand and nearly passed out towards the end (luckily I had already filled the bag)
#18 Old 07-24-2008, 02:51 PM

Type O Positive! I was never a big meat eater. and I'm not competitive or very goal oriented. I'm a pretty big procrastinator and part-time slacker.
#19 Old 07-24-2008, 03:00 PM

I actually have a couple of the "Eat for Your Type" books. My son, now 3, had some really serious GI issues and wasn't able to eat anything but an expensive amino acid based formula until he was 18 mo. He then had to go through therapy to learn how to eat. Our nutritionist recommended the books. I was willing to try anything to get him to eat, so I read all about it and gave it a try. Didn't work though- and I REALLY wanted it too!

The girls and I are type O. They both seemed to really like meat, but haven't had any trouble giving it up. I never liked meat much myself, so for us, the transition has been more about learning new recipes. My son (A+) didn't like to eat anything he was supposed too and my mom (B) is supposed to eat lots of dairy but is lactose intolerant.

The basis is that people evolved differently depending on what type of stuff was available where the lived and such. The more I read the more it seemed like hooey. I'm sure some people have a harder time giving up meat, but I don't think blood type has anything to do with it.
#20 Old 07-24-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counting_hours View Post

as a sweet baby faced 8 year old I said I wanted to "marry a rich person, on life support, and while they are saying I do, I will have my foot on the plug...that way I will never have to work"

That was funny, especially for an 8 year old!
#21 Old 07-24-2008, 03:47 PM

Lord, there are a lot of O types here. Isn't that the rarest type? I think I red that the O types are the ones that can give blood to any other type.
#22 Old 07-24-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssinian View Post

Lord, there are a lot of O types here. Isn't that the rarest type? I think I red that the O types are the ones that can give blood to any other type.

O is actually the most common blood type! I am O+ and according to blood services,we constitute over 40% of the canadian population! nifty eh? B is actually the rarest blood type in north america with 9% of the pop. O- is more rare, of course, as - blood types are recessive. The reason most people have O blood is because many MANY A's and B's are actually carriers of O(which is a recessive trait)So whereas someone might display a bloodtype of A+, genetically speaking,they might be A+O-. You receive one blood "letter" and one blood RH(+,-) from each of your parents. to a total of 2 of each, but you display the most dominant characteristics. AB blood comes from someone who has inherited A from one parent, and B from another. They are both equally dominant, so this person will have both blood traits displayed!. Interesting stuff, if you are into that sort of thing.
#23 Old 07-24-2008, 04:22 PM

I'm A+, and I'd eat pork roast in a second IF THEY'D QUIT MAKING IT OUT OF DEAD PIGS. I enjoyed meat and I miss it and I'm not gonna eat it, which I take as evidence of:

1) Eat for your Type is horse hockey. They take a tiny kernel of truth (the correlation between blood types and recent evolutionary history) and try and make a whole glitzy wedding cake out of it.

2) It ain't all about what tastes good to you.
#24 Old 07-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Banned

i'm an O- and meat makes me proper ill. my immune system really does not like. there's that theory out of the window then.
#25 Old 07-24-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

That's what I always say (I'm A+ too).

If you donate blood, the Canadian blood services will send you a donor card with your blood type on it

Here in Florida when you donate blood (don't know about the rest of the US) they give you a number and you can log in a couple of weeks after to check your blood type. They also check your (total) cholesterol for free too (in addition to free movie tickets, etc).

Last time I donated blood I forgot to eat beforehand and nearly passed out towards the end (luckily I had already filled the bag)

I'm always saying that I'm going to start donating blood. They come to the KC Irving Center(I assume you know the Bathurst area a bit) every few months (and I live right next to it, so I have no excuse not to).
#26 Old 07-24-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:

I'm always saying that I'm going to start donating blood. They come to the KC Irving Center(I assume you know the Bathurst area a bit) every few months (and I live right next to it, so I have no excuse not to).

I really don't know Bathurst very well The only times I was ever there was to get my impacted wisdom teeth removed, and to go to the movie theater a couple of times when Miramichi was between theaters.

But donating blood is a piece of cake! Assuming you don't have a needle phobia anyways You just lay down for a bit and then they give you free juice and cookies! Here they even have vegan Chips Ahoy and a lot of other vegan snacks - we were very surprised.

ETA: And it builds up good karma we can all use some of that!
#27 Old 07-24-2008, 08:21 PM

Nah, I'm not scared of needles. As long as I don't see them pricking me, I'm fine.

Do you mean the Apollo Cinema? With 5 theaters? Or the Old Twin Cinema on Main Street?

Why do I feel like we've had this discussion before?

(BTW, the KC Irving center is right across the street from the newer 5 theater cinema, it was only built in 1995 I think. SO if the last time you were here was before that, you wouldn't have seen it. Then again The new cinema was built after that, I'm sure of it)
#28 Old 07-24-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:

Nah, I'm not scared of needles. As long as I don't see them pricking me, I'm fine.

Do you mean the Apollo Cinema? With 5 theaters? Or the Old Twin Cinema on Main Street?

Why do I feel like we've had this discussion before?

(BTW, the KC Irving center is right across the street from the newer 5 theater cinema, it was only built in 1995 I think. SO if the last time you were here was before that, you wouldn't have seen it. Then again The new cinema was built after that, I'm sure of it)

I'm the same way with needles - I'm fine as long as I look away

I honestly can't remember which theater it was, it was quite a few years ago
#29 Old 07-24-2008, 08:40 PM

lol @ a comparison between the most common blood type, and the most common diet [including meat]. I'm O. The only reason it took me an extra year or two to stop eating chicken was because I didn't know how bad chickens had it, and I liked eating them. Once I stopped though, that was it. Way to stereotype, Canadian Blood Services!
#30 Old 07-24-2008, 08:49 PM
ICU

O neg, universal donor here. Yep, I am the poster child for the O profile. That being said, I had no problem giving up meat. I have been tempted (neighbors grilling out), but have never given in.

Faith not fear, hope not worry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page