Are you a wacko as William Campbell Douglass II, MD says? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Banned

William Campbell Douglass II, M.D. is a famous alternative doctor who is sending a free booklet to many people to get them to buy his Douglass Report. In this booklet, he refer to you as "the vegetarian wackos." So people buying his report can explain to you why you are wacko.

The back of his booklet says in big letters "A Steak a Day Keeps the Doctors Away." He is against medications which is good, but Adolf Hitler was in favor of vegetarianism which is also good. At the beginning of a chapter he says the above about steaks followed by "especially if you wash it down with a beer." This booklet explains why steaks, meat, cheese, salt, alcohol, eggs and coffee are good for you despite what others say. He says not to listen to the vegetarian wackos. He suggests having an egg omlet with lots of cheese and a steak everyday.There is webpage with Health Articles that explains why meat and salt are bad for health.

If you put 4 ounces of salt in water and drink it, you will die. Any chemist can explain why this would happen with putting 50,000 mg of sodium into your body at one time The maximum RDA (recommended daily allowance) of sodium is 2,000 mg. This is not an opinion since anyone can prove it is wrong by doing it. I would hope that any MD could explain why this would happen. Your body needs to maintain a certain concentration of sodium in the body and with this much sodium you would need about 4 more gallons of water in your body immediately and that weighs 16 pounds. Salt is very fattening even though it has no calories according to the governor of CA.

In a court of law you cannot prove someone is senile for having a different opinion than everyone else. But if someone says that his mother is dead and also says that his mother is alive, then that does show he is senile. He would then be saying 2 things that cannot be true. For example in the movie, Rain Man, Tom Cruise wanted his brother to be in his care. They asked Raymond (Dustin Hoffman who won 2 Oscars) if he wanted to leave the center and go with his brother and he said "yes." Then they asked if he wanted to stay at the center and he said "yes." So they proved that he was incapable of deciding for himself and he stayed at the center.

So in this booklet by Dr. Campbell he says "alcohol is one of the most effective 'drugs' ever discovered for high blood pressure!" [page 55] Note he is saying that alcohol is not a medication but it is actually is a mind altering drug. On page 56 he says "the blood pressure benefits alone should be enough to mandate a beer a day for millions of adults." Note that I have never had a beer ever since I figured that my brain cells may be needed someday.

But before this in the booklet he says "heart disease doesn't cause heart disease." [page 43] On page 44 he says "true high blood pressure is really high and its rare." So he suggests that for high blood pressure that is untrue (false) do nothing. This webpage on High Blood Pressure has natural things that you can do to lower it.

So according to him millions have high blood pressure and should drink alcohol for it, but it is rare. So they said to Rain Man, which is it, do you want to live with your brother or live in the center to which he said yes to both. He could not understand that you cannot have both. Now I am not going to call Dr. Douglass a wacko since it is not nice to say that about a senile person or any person. I do not know his age.

With the power of the internet if enough people comment and mention this doctor's name, on this thread, then it will come up when people search for his name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-05-2008, 12:47 PM

Sounds like William Campbell Douglass II, MD is trying to increase his patient load.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#3 Old 07-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Banned

I did a search for his name and the word "age" with Google. How fast is Google? It is still the same day but many hours later. This post comes up as 5th when I did the search. He may have had a brain that worked OK at one time in the past.

Why doesn't someone do a study of eating meat and senility? There are actually studies that show that when you help others, you become happier. I guess someone could sell lots of reports to mean people by saying that being mean to people is good for health.
#4 Old 07-05-2008, 04:27 PM

What I want to know is whether William Campbell Douglass II, MD, actually follows his own advice.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#5 Old 07-05-2008, 06:45 PM

I think you are very kind to William Campbell Douglass II, M.D. to not call him a wacko or senile.
#6 Old 07-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Kiz

I am wacko, yes. I am also vegetarian. Therefore, I am a vegetarian wacko. Whether I am wacko because I am vegetarian, or vegetarian because I am a wacko is another issue altogether.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#7 Old 07-05-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

I am wacko, yes. I am also vegetarian. Therefore, I am a vegetarian wacko. Whether I am wacko because I am vegetarian, or vegetarian because I am a wacko is another issue altogether.

I'll have to second this.

I think I'll have to say William Campbell Douglass II, M.D. does sound particularly wacko, even if saying so is not very kind.
#8 Old 07-06-2008, 04:52 PM

Just yesterday someone told me about a promotional mailing he had received. In the brochure, a doctor (who is of course trying to sell something) claims that there's no such thing as too much cholesterol, cholesterol has no connection at all with diet, and further, heart disease is caused by having too low cholesterol levels. Wrap your head around that one.

I wonder if it's the same guy?

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#9 Old 07-06-2008, 05:03 PM

William Campbell Douglass II, M.D. can kiss my wacko vegan butt.
#10 Old 07-07-2008, 11:32 AM

this has to be some sort of prank.

... hopefully?
#11 Old 07-07-2008, 05:39 PM

I am a pre-vet, so I go to school with all the pre-med kids at an allegedly prestigious University (that's debatable though) called New York University. Some of these pre-meds will be doctors one day, and everyday I am continuously amazed with their stupidity. It's sad that these days being an MD doesn't mean you know anything whatsoever about nutrition. I bet that doctor isn't on the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine which released a new recommended food pyramid which contains no meat or dairy groups.
#12 Old 07-22-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

It's so ridiculous, it's genius. Tell people exactly what they want to hear (do everything you shouldn't do), and sell it as if it's good for you. It's not moral at all, but come on, it is profitable.

My new project: flip off police officers to get a promotion at work. Or how about this: drive like a maniac to increase your libido. Wait, no... shoot up heroin to tone up and get a washboard stomach. Shoot guns randomly in the air to feed hungry children. The possibilities are endless...

A hen does not need a rooster to lay an egg. An unfertilized egg is just an egg. If the egg is fertilized by a rooster, then yes, it is abortion. (Females 'lay' eggs every month, also, and all of them do not get 'fertilized' either. Have you ever heard of the word VIRGIN?)
#13 Old 07-22-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyFl View Post

A hen does not need a rooster to lay an egg. An unfertilized egg is just an egg. If the egg is fertilized by a rooster, then yes, it is abortion. (Females 'lay' eggs every month, also, and all of them do not get 'fertilized' either. Have you ever heard of the word VIRGIN?)

What does this have to do with the topic of the thread? What does it have to do with the post by sleepydvdr that was quoted? Am I missing something really obvious?

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#14 Old 07-22-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgo View Post

If you put 4 ounces of salt in water and drink it, you will die.

More likely you'll vomit... or at least you'll make yourself vomit if you know what's good for you.

On the rest; yet one more scam, what can I say?
#15 Old 07-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

What does this have to do with the topic of the thread? What does it have to do with the post by sleepydvdr that was quoted? Am I missing something really obvious?

i beleive its a comment on sleepydvdrs signature, which doesn't show in the quote, and isn't to do with the thread at all.
#16 Old 07-22-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i beleive its a comment on sleepydvdrs signature, which doesn't show in the quote, and isn't to do with the thread at all.

See, I knew I was missing something obvious. LOL

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#17 Old 07-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

See, I knew I was missing something obvious. LOL

it wasn't that obvious to me. i was confused to start with too, had to go back and read through the thread a bit, and then ended up checking sleepydvdrs profile, cos i still wasn't getting it, before i worked it out.
#18 Old 07-22-2008, 06:59 PM

Ginkgo, A search on high protein diets did lead me to a very reputable medical website which reported the following dangers...

* Kidney failure. Consuming too much protein puts a strain on the kidneys, which can make a person susceptible to kidney disease.

* High cholesterol. It is well known that high protein diets (consisting of red meat, whole dairy products, and other high fat foods) are linked to high cholesterol. Studies have linked high cholesterol levels to an increased risk of developing heart disease, stroke and cancer.

* Osteoporosis and kidney stones. High protein diets have also been shown to cause people to excrete more calcium than normal through their urine. Over a prolonged period of time, this can increase a person's risk of osteoporosis and kidney stones.

* Cancer. One of the reasons high protein diets increase the risks of certain health problems is because of the avoidance of carbohydrate-containing foods and the vitamins, minerals, fiber and anti-oxidants they contain. It is therefore important to obtain your protein from a diet rich in whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Not only are your needs for protein being met, but you are also helping to reduce your risk of developing cancer.

* Unhealthy metabolic state (ketosis). Low carb diets can cause your body to go into a dangerous metabolic state called ketosis since your body burns fat instead of glucose for energy. During ketosis, the body forms substances known as ketones, which can cause organs to fail and result in gout, kidney stones, or kidney failure. Ketones can also dull a person's appetite, cause nausea and bad breath. Ketosis can be prevented by eating at least 100 grams of carbohydrates a day.

This did not mention anything about senility. I was sure I'd read somewhere that ketosis was bad for the brain, so... further research on another site did bring me to this bit of info..

Some of the health concerns with ketosis

When the body starts using the alternative fuel fat, for its energy source it produces chemicals that have affects on many of the bodies organ systems. Some of the adverse side effects with circulating ketones include weakness, nausea, headache, confusion, dehydration and acetone-like smelling breath. The consequences could be serious for people with diabetes.

And so, in conclusion, I think it might be safe to assume that not only is William Campbell Douglass II, M.D. confused, but has bad breath as well.
#19 Old 02-12-2009, 02:45 AM
Banned

While I can respect a grounded opinion in any subject, I gathered from most of yours that as a group you attacked his(the doctor) persona, rather than his work. http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/i...es/furious.gif Much of his research is correct, while admittedly, may sound outlandish. Bear in mind, that the same people who publish health reports are funded, generally, by multi-million dollar food conglomerates. I have a great number of friends that are vegetarian and vegan. I live in Portland Oregon where it is a popular trend. ALL of them save 1 or 2 spend MUCH MORE time in doctors offices with stomach problems, blood problems, sex drive problems, etc.

Most of them are in their late 20's. Me? I am 35 and eat lots of medium rare red meats ( black angus certified organic) and wild caught salmon, trout, and the like.:http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/i...ies/hungry.gif I also eat farm raised (certified organic) pork. When I get sick, it lasts for a say or 2. When most of them get sick, it's off to the doctor after a week of misery. I am not saying I believe or validate everything he has to say, but take the time to read his writings. I spent several hours objectively utilising CRITICAL THINKING, in order to understand the loathing found in this thread.

Some interesting notes about him:

*he is anti dairy industry

*he is pro fresh squeezed juices

*he is pro superfoods (blueberry, pomegranate, flax, etc.) and even introduces a few new ones.

*he is pro longevity

*he is anti PRESCRIPTION DRUG WHEN UNNECASSARY

*he is anti caffiene

*he is anti obesity

*he is anti "fad diet"

and yes, he is selling a book, that's dirt cheap. But I doubt any of you are unemployed. And if you are, probably not by choice. What do all of you do for a living? http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/i...ies/toilet.gif

Stress is dangerous for all of our health. Who has more stress, me, who eats what our families have for 1000s of years, or anyone trying to attain some herbivore perfection? Just a thought.

Your friendhttp://www.veggieboards.com/boards/images/smilies/hug.gif,

ARCHIVE

ps "If you don't want to look like a cow, don't eat like one." - William Campbell Douglass II, MD (that is substance, not volume.)

pss I refrained from any personal injuries or misgivings, and in no way am trying to offend anyone. So save the insults or outlandish conjectures.http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/i...s/iloveyou.gif

life itself is a .[/SIZE][/SIZE]
#20 Old 02-12-2009, 02:53 AM
Banned

glad to see someone did some research, but what are your sources? and who pays their bills? just curious.

thanks,

archive
#21 Old 11-28-2009, 03:53 PM

My father went on the Atkins Diet to lose weight. He ate nothing but meat and fried foods. For some unexplained reason, he never ate real eggs--just egg substitute. After while, he started to smell terrible. Dad explained that Atkins told readers the smell was called ketosis, which meant the fat poisons were leaving the body. My mother intuited the opposite.

She was right. My father died of a massive coronary less than five years after starting this diet.

Also, if "Dr." Douglass (honorary degree, perhaps?) is so concerned about our children developing sexually at progressively younger ages and becoming gay (I couldn't care less who is gay and who isn't, BTW), he should sample the local drinking water instead of maligning soy products. City water supplies are loaded with various hormones human beings ingest and then urinate into the water supply, along with God knows what other kinds of medicines. The only thing Douglass seems worried about is fluoride. Strangely enough, it's the other chemicals in the water that make me nervous. That's why we use a filter system. Buy one--a high-class one, like a good restaurant uses. It makes water taste wonderful, and costs almost nothing to maintain.
#22 Old 11-28-2009, 04:12 PM

Haha, I forgot all about ol' William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#23 Old 02-02-2010, 07:19 PM

The Doctor says that people can eat all of their favorite meaty and fatty foods as long as they buy his digestive supplements. A pretty good scam I'd say.
#24 Old 02-02-2010, 09:11 PM

I'll bet William Campbell Douglass II, MD would be very happy to know his thread gets bumped every once in a while.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#25 Old 02-03-2010, 12:04 PM

Rofl this guy's a nut job. He went to med school solely so he can dupe people into buying his alternative 'medicine.' It's like people who get doctorates in biology only so they can spew creationist baloney. I only trust doctors that use real medicine, based on science...
#26 Old 02-03-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

I'll bet William Campbell Douglass II, MD would be very happy to know his thread gets bumped every once in a while.

It would probably make William Campbell Douglass II, MD's day if he only knew.
#27 Old 02-04-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

That's brilliant! I love it!
#28 Old 02-04-2010, 01:54 PM

Say hi, wackos
#29 Old 02-04-2010, 05:36 PM

Aw, what a nice avuncular figure William Campbell Douglass II, MD presents.

www.thesaucyvegan.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page