Does Milk Make You Cough? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Beginner

I have no problems eating cheese, yogurt or foods that contain milk, but whenever I drink milk or have soft-serve ice cream (which is ice milk), my throat gets scratchy, I start to lose my voice and it makes me cough. It lasts for about 15 minutes and I've been like this for quite a few years now. I first noticed it when I got a job at Dairy Queen. I've been drinking a lot of milk since coming to university because the only brand of soy milk that my cafeteria stocks has an aftertaste that makes me gag.

Does anyone know what causes is it? Is anyone else like me? I've only met one other person who was like me. She was a customer... she asked for an ice cream cone and a glass of water and told me why. Everyone else seems to think that I am weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

I know there are many studies that have been done that show that milk can cause problems like this, but I honestly think it's a mix of the cold and dairy. Everytime I drink a lot of cold water or eat ice cream, I cough like crazy! I think it's related to my asthma though. I believe milk increases the production of mucus. I'm going to find some links for you, I'll be back later.
#3 Old 04-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Beginner

I never had this problem when I was eating dairy, but I think my brother does.

edit: I just read your post danakscully, and my brother has asthma too, so I think you could be right.
#4 Old 04-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.notmilk.com/

Very informative!
#5 Old 04-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Banned

it could be a food intollerance or mild allergic reaction. please pay attention to it, and stop eating dairy and see an allergist if it gets even slightly worse.

whatever it is, it sounds like your throat doesn't want or like you consuming it.

have you contacted the food people at your uni and asked them to consider swapping soya milk brands?

intentionally giving yourself a sore throat doesn't sound like a fun thing to be doing.
#6 Old 04-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Beginner

I don't have asthma. There was a point in my life where we thought that I was lactose intolerant. If I ate dairy, or anything too heavy for that matter, too late at night, I would be sick to my stomach all night. That all stopped 2 years before I went veggie.

I'm picky when it comes to soymilk. The only brand that I've had that I like is Chocolate Silk. I don't even think that they come in individual packs... at least not here! They carry So Good... I've tried the vanilla and the chocolate and it makes me gag.

I guess I'm going to have to ask a doctor about this? Maybe?
#7 Old 04-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Banned

have you tried rice milk or almond milk... potato milk, even? you might like it better. i don't drink or use soya milk much myself. its too gloopy and has a weird mouth-coating aftertaste thing going on for me. rice milk is thinner, and sweeter. almond milk is nuttier, richer. potato milk is supposed to be really close, so i've heard.

its upto you whether or not you see a doctor. i'd probably just not drink milk if it wasn't getting worse with each exposure (tomatoes make my lips and throat itch, i know its a type of allergy that isn't likely to progress beyond just itching, but itching is no fun, so i avoid them- milk upsets my stomach and makes my allergies worse, so i don't use that either)- but if you're worried, then asking someone might not hurt.
#8 Old 04-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flurry View Post

I don't have asthma. There was a point in my life where we thought that I was lactose intolerant. If I ate dairy, or anything too heavy for that matter, too late at night, I would be sick to my stomach all night. That all stopped 2 years before I went veggie.

I'm picky when it comes to soymilk. The only brand that I've had that I like is Chocolate Silk. I don't even think that they come in individual packs... at least not here! They carry So Good... I've tried the vanilla and the chocolate and it makes me gag.

I guess I'm going to have to ask a doctor about this? Maybe?

Definitely see a doc about this, it sounds like a mild allergy to something in that brand.
#9 Old 04-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Beginner

Milk's always tasted terrible to me, so I really don't drink it. Not that I'm a vegan, I still eat cheese/honey, and any milk in products I buy.
#10 Old 04-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Beginner

I might have to try almond milk. I like having something rich to go with my breakfast in the morning. I can't swallow anything sweet.

Right now I'm in an apartment... I'm used to having breakfast in the cafeteria and making my own lunch and dinner. I picked up some Silk to last me until I move out. I'm taking a course this spring and I'm going to be moving into a room because it is cheaper... so no fridge...

I still find it odd though that there is nobody here that can say that they have experienced the same thing.
#11 Old 04-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Beginner

#12 Old 04-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Banned

if it makes you feel better there is loads of other random stuff that gives me a sore throat... tomatoes, msg, tartrazine, soduim benzoate.... and you have only given it 4 hours for people to see your thread.

another option if the milk thing is a pain is to be all european and put juice in your cereal. actually tastes pretty decent.
#13 Old 04-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Beginner

Milk gives me abdominal cramps. No coughing though.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#14 Old 04-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Beginner

Exact. Same. Problem.
#15 Old 04-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I have no problems eating cheese, yogurt or foods that contain milk, but whenever I drink milk or have soft-serve ice cream (which is ice milk), my throat gets scratchy, I start to lose my voice and it makes me cough.

That happens anytime I have anything cold as well. Not just when I drank milk still. Cold soya, Ice creams, Sorbets, Even smoothies. I don't have asthma, But I was wrongly diagnosed with it when I was younger and was on the breathing treatments for a year or so. Milk (and soy) both cause mucus build up, Maybe that combined with the coldness is what's causing it?
#16 Old 04-16-2008, 08:18 AM
Beginner

Maybe. My throat doesn't get sore. It gets scratchy. My voice gets scratchy and I have to clear my throat in order to talk right. And then I get a random cough... it doesn't really tickle my throat... I just cough! It is weird.
#17 Old 04-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Beginner

I'm sitting here drinking a smoothy with NO milk and coughing LOL cold drinks cause mucus already in your throat to thicken and YEARS before I whipped my household into vegan shape LOL I took my son who is severely asthmatic but NOT allergic to milk off all dairy because it was obvious how much worse his symptoms were when he was on dairy. (wheezing and coughing) and an allergist actually confirmed that both dairy AND peanuts but particularly dairy can be trigger foods for asthmatic people even if they are not allergic to them. I can also tell the difference when he eats peanut butter? how weird but I've seen the proof and he's been tested for allergies to both foods and didn't show up allergic
#18 Old 04-16-2008, 10:49 PM
Beginner

I have never liked milk...the texture...taste..smell....and hardly drank it...and when I went veggie stopped drinking it altogether...it used to make me sick and I would cough and gag when I drank it.
#19 Old 04-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I know there are many studies that have been done that show that milk can cause problems like this, but I honestly think it's a mix of the cold and dairy. Everytime I drink a lot of cold water or eat ice cream, I cough like crazy! I think it's related to my asthma though. I believe milk increases the production of mucus. I'm going to find some links for you, I'll be back later.

I agree 100%. I remember when I was sick years ago the doctor told me to stay away from Dairy foods. Also Rod Burson (sp?) speaks about vitamins and nutrition oand staying away from dairy on the radio everyday. www.roex.com

"Don't change on me. Don't extort me unless you intend to do it forever. " - Tupac Shakur
#20 Old 04-18-2008, 04:22 AM
Beginner

Yes I agree, milk is just nasty for doing that. I often dont like sogood soymilk but it taste's far better then that awful, poosy milk, sorry I have to spit that out. But there's also rice milk hehe
#21 Old 04-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Beginner

I'll echo the "dairy is evil" stuff that people are saying.

But also many people do get a funny tickle and dry cough when they eat or drink foods that are very cold, regardless of what the food is. It doesn't always happen to me, but probably one time in five when I make myself a smoothie (never dairy) I have that problem. I imagine that combining it with the dairy effects would be highly unpleasant.
#22 Old 04-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Beginner

I have smoothies with frozen yogurt in them all of the time and for some reason, it doesn't bother me. Orange Julius drinks, which are thinner than their smoothies and contain even less dairy, do make me cough.

Um... I don't want to offend anyone by saying this, but if I wanted to be taught about the many evils of daiy, I would have posted in the vegan section and not the vegetarian section. I do wish to go vegan when I am out on my own, but right now with me in university that is not very vegetarian-friendly, it's been rough being vegetarian, but I'm sticking with it. There is no way in heck that I'm going back a step.

I was just curious if any other vegetarians experienced the same thing... it doesn't bother me much, but if it is going to be a big issue, I'll stop consuming it. The next two monthes though are going to be difficult... I won't have a fridge to stash my dairy alternatives in.
#23 Old 04-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Beginner

Not cough, but it makes me phlegmy. Ick.
#24 Old 04-19-2008, 09:24 AM
Beginner

Quote:

I still find it odd though that there is nobody here that can say that they have experienced the same thing.

I have!!!!

Dairy causes an overproduction of mucus and phlem.

That is what is causing you to cough.

Doesn't that gross you out?

This is part of why I don't touch dairy anymore. lol
#25 Old 10-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Beginner

Everytime I have milk are Ice Cream I have to cough and get weezie. (sp) I cough so hard to sometimes pee my pants. I can eat things with milk in them, but not a glass of milk are ice cream. 

I cant find anything about why are how to fix this problem. 

Other then I did just have a glass of milk and that seemed to help the problem.

#26 Old 10-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Beginner

All food makes me mucusy. It doesn't matter what I eat, I have to blow my nose afterwards.

slops, gloops, and gruels.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page