Tofu - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Beginner

So I made tofu last night in the stir fry, and it was gross. I bought the extra firm water packed like the recipe said and cooked it and it was gross. Chewy and yucky! I am totally bummed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Beginner

That's too bad. It's always upsetting when you go through the trouble of making something and then it doesn't turn out the way you want. I baked tofu last night...it took a long time because I happen to like it dried out and chewy. I baked it with some BBQ sauce. It was pretty good.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#3 Old 03-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

That's too bad. It's always upsetting when you go through the trouble of making something and then it doesn't turn out the way you want. I baked tofu last night...it took a long time because I happen to like it dried out and chewy. I baked it with some BBQ sauce. It was pretty good.

thats so odd, I did the exact same thing last night....
#4 Old 03-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Beginner

Did you drain the tofu of excess water? Here's how to do it. Slice the block into about six slices, wrap in paper towels (recycled ones of course) and then wrap in a dish towel. Put wrapped tofu in a plate and then stack a bunch of plates on top of that. Let is sit while you slice and dice your stuff and do other things for about 20 minutes. Afterwards you can cube it then.

This helps make it more absorable to the sauces that you use to stir fry. You can marinate the cubes if you want.

Tofu sometimes is an acquired taste, so try it again. But not everyone likes tofu and it's not a requirement that you do.
#5 Old 03-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Beginner

Is there a place in town that prepares a dish or two with tofu? If the place does a good job, you might be able to ask them how they make it. (Even though it's often pre-fried and frozen in a bag.) I just know having some tofu delightfully browned at a local joint inspired me to try to imitate how they do it. My tofu does not taste like theirs, but it's come out pretty good ever since I figured out it's mostly about keeping it dry.
#6 Old 03-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Beginner

Part of the reason I tried baking tofu is because I hate pressing the water out of it...I don't know why, really...it's not like it's difficult. It's just something I hate doing. I think that's why it took so long to bake...but it did dry out nicely. I guess I prefer baking it for an hour and half to taking a few minutes to press it.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
#7 Old 03-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Beginner

Do you like tofu and just weren't happy with how it turned out in that dish? Or are you trying to eat tofu because you think you ought to, because, after all, if you're vegan or vegetarian it's a fundamental requirement to eat tofu and lentils? ;-) If it's the latter, don't force yourself - it's entirely optional. Eat foods you do like.

If you just didn't like how it came out, well, there are many different things you could consider, including the suggestions already made. I don't much care for the taste of tofu in stir fry unless I've marinated it first for at least six hours in something. I have to admit that I cheat and sometimes buy the pre-fried tofu cubes (yeah, nutritionally naughty) as they absorb sauces better without marinating. In stir fries, I prefer the texture of tofu after it's been frozen - it gets harder and chewier instead of just squishy. And sometimes I'll fry it up in oil first (yes, again, not healthy). I usually don't bother with tofu, though. I only really like it if it's oily and I don't need that!
#8 Old 03-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Beginner

For stir fry, dust the tofu cubes with cornstarch, (coat them with the finest layer of cornstarch) then fry (alone, without the veggies) until brown and crisp. This will take a few minutes.

With the cornstarch, the tofu will get crispy coating without absorbing so much oil.

Remove the tofu from the pan, do your veggie stir fry and then add the tofu BACk into the pan when everything else is cooked. The tofu will stay crisp this way.

And ksfc has a good point. Have you tried tofu in the past, like at restaurants, and liked it? Or was this your first tofu experience ever? I think tofu is sometimes an aquired taste/texture.

On the other hand, sometimes you'll just get a random package of tofu that's not good either. It can't hurt to try it again sometime.
#9 Old 03-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Beginner

I keep forgetting about coating tofu with cornstarch...I want to try it that way.

#10 Old 03-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Beginner

mrosev, maybe you got some bad tofu. (either the brand or the state of freshness.) that could give it the bad qualities you got. what a disappointment. i hope it works better next time you make that dish.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#11 Old 03-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Beginner

Thank you for the advice! I will try some of them later.
#12 Old 03-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Beginner

I only like tofu when it's stir fried. Raw tofu can be kinda bland.

veganGO - http://www.vegango.com/
A forum for vegan activists.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page