Expired Tofu: Toss it or use it? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-29-2007, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

I have an unopened package of tofu in the fridge. It's dated "Use by June 29." Today is July 29th. Should I toss it or use it? I'm leaning towards tossing it...

And while we're on the expired food topic, I have oatmeal that expired a year ago, is it okay? I know grains can grow bacteria... it sucks though because it's 42 ounce almost full
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-29-2007, 10:58 AM

I have used outdated tofu that has not been opened and have had no problems. I would open it...if it smells 'fresh' it should be safe to use. If you are really concerned, however, then don't take the chance. I think I have a 'cast iron' stomach...nothing seems to bother it! I did just toss an opened container of tofu...I actually thought it would be fine but it had a definite 'sour' odor, so I chucked it.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#3 Old 07-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks I'm not sure what "fresh" smells like, but I'll open the new one too and see if they smell the same. I was going to make Stuffed Shells with them tonight. I'm excited because I bought a new food processor!
#4 Old 07-29-2007, 12:23 PM

As long as it doesn't taste or smell excessively sour, it should be perfectly fine. Though sour tofu is also considered yummy in some cultures!
#5 Old 07-29-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Thanks I'm not sure what "fresh" smells like, )

You may not know what 'fresh' smells like, but trust me, if it's NOT fresh, you'll know!!

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#6 Old 07-29-2007, 01:23 PM

I've used tofu that expired over a month ago at a friend's house before. It was okay, but honestly, I don't know whether tofu is susceptible to growing harmful bacteria or not. In most cases, I would say to toss it just to be safe.
#7 Old 07-29-2007, 01:33 PM

I'd probably toss it. Better safe than sorry.
#8 Old 07-29-2007, 01:48 PM

My mum has had a bad headache and stomach trouble from eating out of date tofu, so it is possible to get sick from it. A month is quite a long time; I would probably chuck it.
#9 Old 07-29-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

I've used tofu that expired over a month ago at a friend's house before. It was okay, but honestly, I don't know whether tofu is susceptible to growing harmful bacteria or not. In most cases, I would say to toss it just to be safe.

Bacteria will grow on any food that is high protein, neutral to slightly acidic, and moist, so tofu will certainly support bacteria.

As long as the package hasn't bloated it should probably be ok, but I would probably still toss it. According to Nasoya's website tofu has about a 70 day shelf life so a month over is pretty significant.
#10 Old 07-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

So I opened it and it smelled exactly the same as the new container. Is it just me, or does tofu have a slight pumpkin smell to it?

I ended up using half of the new and half of the old. I didn't get sick, that's a good sign. I did find out one thing though... I really don't like tofu. Everytime I use it, I hate it. I always try it again because of a new recipe and always wonder why I do it. I read some great reviews on the Tofu stuffed shells (many said it was better than the ricotta, even meat-eaters) and honestly, it tasted like the smell of pumpkin. Yeah, I'm a weird vegetarian
#11 Old 07-30-2007, 03:10 PM

If the package wasn't bulging, I would do the sniff test and most likely use it, but I think I too have a cast-iron stomach.

And I'm freakin' cheap (or perpetually broke).

I can't afford to throw things out unless they crawl out of the fridge under their own power...

That said, dana; I know what you mean about the almost 'pumpkin' smell of tofu - many commercially packaged tofus sort of taste and smell that way to me too...

Super-fresh bulk tofu from the Asian Market is far, far better if you can find it - it won't really have any smell and has a super-mild taste...

Also, don't worry if you don't like tofu, there ARE many vegetarians who don't.

My opinion though, I don't think using tofu in ricotta-type recipes is the best way to develop a taste for it. Try it fried in far too much oil until evenly browned and dipped in peanut sauce or something... it tastes totally different!
#12 Old 07-31-2007, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

The package looked fine, no bulging. My Mom is the type of person who will throw anything out if it's more than 20 minutes old. It's a joke between my boyfriend and I. I'm the only one who cleans out the fridge, but when I point out that her leftovers haven't been touched in 3 days (she doesn't even eat leftovers), she immediately attacks me: "Your soup has been in there for over a week!" Me: "Mom, I put that in last night."

I've tried cooking tofu many times, many different ways, and I just can't seem to like it. I've had it at Thai places both deep fried and steamed... yuck! Actually, there is one way I'll eat it... in Hot and Sour soup. That's because it's in tiny pieces and really soft from the broth. It doesn't have a taste. I know it's supposed to take on the taste of whatever you put it in, but I still taste the pumpkin-likeness in any other type of recipe. I usually don't care for the texture either. I think I'll just give up on trying to prepare it... it just sets me up for disappointment. I do have some left in the fridge, maybe I'll try making soup out of it... last time.
#13 Old 07-31-2007, 03:29 PM

I kind of follow the not-bulging not-smelly rule too. I have some Gimme Lean ground beef style stuff that is a month past date too. In the past I let one go too long and the pkg bulged, so I tossed it. This one isn't so I think I'll try it!
#14 Old 08-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

The refridgerated soy products scare me when they've been in the fridge for even a few days. Tofu-N-Sprouts say they last a while, but I've had food poisoning before and wouldn't want to risk it. Sometimes the labels tells you how long it lasts, sometimes it doesn't. Tofurkey says 3-5 days, but I never finish it by then, so I end up throwing it out.
#15 Old 08-03-2007, 07:31 AM

I just throw out the tofurky when it gets visible mold.
#16 Old 08-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Really? Have you ever had food poisoning from something like that? That would scare me. I e-mailed the tofurkey company and they said 3-5 days after opening. I guess if the tofurkey starts talking, it's time to throw it out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page