pescatarian - Page 3 - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 Old 01-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Beginner
 
4EverGrounded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,644
HIT THE DECK!!! *ducks and covers*
4EverGrounded is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#62 Old 01-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Beginner
 
DoveInGrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 195
Methinks we need a meat-reducer/pescatarian forum on this board.
DoveInGrey is offline  
#63 Old 01-30-2007, 03:56 PM
Beginner
 
Seusomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveInGrey View Post

Methinks we need a meat-reducer/pescatarian forum on this board.



I think that might be a good thing. It should be noted, though, that at present membership is supposed to be limited to those who are vegetarian or have vegetarianism as a goal. Hence people who are near-vegetarian and comfortable with that diet are not supposed to be here. I don't think that's enforced unless someone is trolling or otherwise causing problems, though.
Seusomon is offline  
#64 Old 01-31-2007, 10:03 PM
Beginner
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielove View Post

Um, I don't know if this matters at all, but I don't really care what people eat. But if you eat fish and call yourself a vegetarian, you're wrong. If you call yourself a pescetarian, I take no issue. But I'm SICK of people offering me fish as a vegetarian, as no vegetarian eats fish.



If you eat meat, you eat meat. Eat whatever the heck you want. FIsh is a type of meat, and if you want to eat it, thats totally fine! But don't be calling yourself a vegetarian, or you'll be subject to our scorn ;-) I respect pescetarians, at least they are eating less meat. I don't respect people who misuse a label because its convenient for them. Labels ARE important sometimes.



This is a pretty hostile first post. I hope you didn't come here just to try to convince us that eating fish is a vegetarian thing to do, because it just isnt. Not everything is vegetarian for the "pain" it causes animals anyway, you know, and no amount of rationalization will convince me that a fish is a plant, lol. ;-)



I agree...Its a personal decision about what people do or dont eat...but I agree if you eat fish you cant call yourself a Vegetarian...I have a close friend who does this and we always argue about it..
GhostUser is offline  
#65 Old 01-31-2007, 10:05 PM
Beginner
 
troub's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,984
I wish animals got a "personal choice" with their lives.
troub is offline  
#66 Old 02-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Beginner
 
gaianbudo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 13
The term vegetarian in general distinguishes someone from being Vegan in that they still eat animal products in some form. I have been told repeatedly in this thread by lacto-ovo vegetarians that pesco-vegetarians can not use the term vegetarian at all because it causes confusion among the general public about what vegetarians eat. There are several qualifiers that can be added in front of the term vegetarian to indicate which animal products one still eats,(ex.lacto, pesco, ovo) these can be used individualy if someone eats only one of these or in combinations if someone eats more than one. At least pesco-vegetarians generally qualify their type of vegetarianism by adding the term pesco. It seems most lacto-ovos refuse to do the same. Last I checked eggs and dairy do not grow in gardens, nor are they from the vegetable kingdom. They are animal products. These individuals seem to want the whole world to assume that vegetarian means lacto-ovo.

Many pesco-vegetarians have chosen their diet to cause a minimum of animal suffering. Yes, animals(fish) are killed but someone would have to be pretty niave to think that the diary and egg industry doesn't cause animal deaths. Not to mention the trillions of life-long confined chickens and the veal industry as a direct by-product of dairy. I keep being referred to websites about fish farms and one person pointed out that something like 35% of fish are coming from them. They don't seem to realize these percentages are for America. Worldwide that number would be much, much lower. Just curious how they think that percentage would compare to factory farmed eggs and dairy. It would be quite triumphant if we could those numbers that low.

I, in fact, have found that it is the lacto-ovos that tend to be causing the general confusion by refusing to qualify their type of vegetarianism. There are many more vegetarians in India than there are in North America and western Europe. Most of these are lacto-vegetarians and therefore don't eat eggs. Lacto-vegetarians therefore make the largest sub-group of vegetarians in the world, by far. If anyone was going to set the standard it would be this group and not some relatively small yet self-important group of westerners armed with some American or British vegetarian society on-line definition.

So when it comes down to it, if you are using the term vegetarian and haven't gone the extra step to become a Vegan, then you are still consuming animal products. Instead of going around yelling at and pointing fingers at everybody else you can at least add the qualifing terminology to your own type of vegetarianism. You are not that special that the whole world is going conform to your definitions just because it happens to be the most convienent for you.
gaianbudo is offline  
#67 Old 02-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Beginner
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaianbudo View Post

There are several qualifiers that can be added in front of the term vegetarian to indicate which animal products one still eats,(ex.lacto, pesco, ovo) these can be used individualy if someone eats only one of these or in combinations if someone eats more than one.

Except that if we define 'vegetarian' as 'someone who doesn't eat meat', the qualification 'lacto-ovo' can be added but 'pesco' cannot. You can be "dairy-eggs-someone who doesn't eat meat" but you cannot be "fish flesh-someone who doesn't eat meat".

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#68 Old 02-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Beginner
 
veg*nrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 379
gaianbudo... vegetarians dont eat meat. fish is a meat. therefore you cant eat meat and call your yourself a vegetarian. i mean seriously, are we going to have groups going around calling themselves beef-vegetarians?
veg*nrunner is offline  
#69 Old 02-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Beginner
 
ChiKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by veg*nrunner View Post

gaianbudo... vegetarians dont eat meat. fish is a meat. therefore you cant eat meat and call your yourself a vegetarian. i mean seriously, are we going to have groups going around calling themselves beef-vegetarians?



Exactly. That's as ridiculous as calling yourself "a vegetarian who eats beef...and pork..." Do you not realize that?
ChiKat is offline  
#70 Old 02-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Beginner
 
Eclipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,186
That's bovo-vegetarian to you.
Eclipse is offline  
#71 Old 02-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Beginner
 
starseed13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 549
Ive seen people who claim to be VEGAN eat fish. Makes little sense to me.

Im gonna go be a vegan expect for the big steak Im gonna eat.

Im also gonna be celibate besides the sex Im having 4 times a week.
starseed13 is offline  
#72 Old 02-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Beginner
 
froggythefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seusomon View Post

I think that might be a good thing. It should be noted, though, that at present membership is supposed to be limited to those who are vegetarian or have vegetarianism as a goal. Hence people who are near-vegetarian and comfortable with that diet are not supposed to be here. I don't think that's enforced unless someone is trolling or otherwise causing problems, though.



I think any reduction of meat is positive, and encouraging it would have an overall good net effect.
froggythefrog is offline  
#73 Old 02-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Beginner
 
Happiness22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

I think any reduction of meat is positive, and encouraging it would have an overall good net effect.



Agreed! Some people take big steps and some people take small steps. Everyone needs support no matter what path they take.
Happiness22 is offline  
#74 Old 02-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Beginner
 
Dirty Martini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

Thanks. I'll think of you the next time someone puts a plate of salmon in front of me.



I hear people say this so many times and I do wonder... how many times do people say, "I'm vegetarian" and then have someone give them a piece of fish?



Restaurants have menus for a reason.
Dirty Martini is offline  
#75 Old 02-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Kiz
Beginner
 
Kiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,132
It happens a fair bit, Amy. Restaurants might have menus but people's houses don't.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Kiz is offline  
#76 Old 02-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Beginner
 
Verdant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 169
I was having this discussion the other day with a friend. The conversation went around in circles until I finally said, "if fish was a vegetarian product, why do sushi restaurants bother to label non-fish sushi as vegetarian?" I know there are much better arguments to be made on this point, but that's the one that turned on the light bulb for my friend .
Verdant is offline  
#77 Old 02-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Beginner
 
Verdant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

I hear people say this so many times and I do wonder... how many times do people say, "I'm vegetarian" and then have someone give them a piece of fish?



Before moving to San Francisco, I'd say about 50% of the time at communal meals I was offered either a fish or chicken dish after mentioning I was vegetarian. Since moving here, it's only happened once or twice a year.
Verdant is offline  
#78 Old 02-09-2007, 06:02 AM
Beginner
 
Shantih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 963
I only really started getting that at a new job last year. The moral of the story - don't work
Shantih is offline  
#79 Old 02-11-2007, 07:37 AM
Beginner
 
Ztob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaianbudo View Post

One day my wife, child, and I will settle back down in Canada and plan to return to a Vegan diet.



Why do you have to move to become vegan? And you DO understand vegan means NO ANIMAL PRODUCTS, right? Not some or sometime or just when it's convenient. "I'm a vegan that likes to eat eggs sometimes." makes me wanta scream.
Ztob is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off