The uneducated customers... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

I just wanted to share 2 stories from the restaurant I work at. These are about 2 customers claiming to be vegetarians...

#1: I had a customer months ago (female) order a veggie burger (she said she was a vegetarian right when she sat down). When she got it, she thought it was going to be a TVP burger, not the Gardenburger that we had. She didn't like it, so she sent it back and got a turkey burger. She said "I'm not a vegan, I eat chicken and turkey sometimes." I held my tongue because off the top of my head, I couldn't think of anything polite to say to correct her.

Number 2 happened yesterday...

This lady comes in often. My restaurant is in a shopping mall. She's a mall employee from another store. She always gets a grilled cheese or a veggie burger. She's a talker and she started talking about her health. I ended up telling her that I'm a vegetarian. Here's how the conversation turned out...

Customer: "Me too, that's why I eat so many veggie burgers."

Me: "That's awesome, meat is so bad for you."

Customer: "Yeah. I know someone who is a hardcore vegan. She didn't eat ANYTHING that came from an animal."

Me: "Yeah, that's what a vegan is. I did that for a while."

Customer: "I eat chicken and turkey only on the holidays. I eat fish every friday because I'm Catholic."

Me: "You're not a vegetarian."

Customer: "Yes I am."

Me: "No you're not, you eat meat."

Customer: "Only on the holidays... blah blah blah. I don't eat any red meat. I'm ovo-vegan."

Me: "There is something called ovo-vegetarian. They don't eat any meat or dairy, but they do eat eggs."

Customer: "My doctor told me that I'm ovo-vegan. I am."

So I argued with her for a while. I was nice the whole time, but I wanted to make sure she knew she wasn't a vegetarian. She acted like she knew more about vegetarianism than me. That's like saying you're a virgin... because you only have sex once a month...

I just don't like people going around representing vegetarians and eating meat. I wish people were more educated. I've known what a vegetarian was since I was little, even though no one I knew was one. I knew vegetarians didn't eat meat at all. I don't know why so many people don't get that concept.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-09-2007, 11:12 AM

Ovo-vegan? Ovo-vegan? What the ****?
#3 Old 01-09-2007, 11:15 AM

Wow. That is almost enough to make your head explode!
#4 Old 01-09-2007, 11:17 AM

ovo-vegans eh... reminds me of the pesco-vegetarians.
#5 Old 01-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

Ovo-vegan? Ovo-vegan? What the ****?

haha, that's what I said!
#6 Old 01-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Aimra & Honeyfugle - Exactly!
#7 Old 01-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Now how funny would it have been if I just started to bang my head into the wall as she was talking?
#8 Old 01-09-2007, 01:06 PM

"Yeah. I know someone who is a hardcore vegan. She didn't eat ANYTHING that came from an animal."

As opposed to a softcore vegan who does eat animal products?.
#9 Old 01-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Banned

Nah. I picture hardcore vegans to be...vegans. Softcore vegans are "dietary" vegans. Heh.
#10 Old 01-09-2007, 01:19 PM

at ovo-vegan.

wow.

what's the logic behind eating fish on a friday if you are catholic? for 'vegetarians' I mean? I know the Catholic omnis have this fish-is-not-meat thing going on, but surely as fridays are 'meatless' that doesn't mean you HAVE to include fish?
#11 Old 01-09-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

She said "I'm not a vegan, I eat chicken and turkey sometimes." I held my tongue because off the top of my head, I couldn't think of anything polite to say to correct her.

not quite sure what your point is on this one? she didn't claim to be vegetarian ever, according to what you told us, and her statement is correct that she's not a vegan.

so where exactly would you correct her?

are you ASSUMING she's a veg because she sometimes gets a veggie burger?
#12 Old 01-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

not quite sure what your point is on this one? she didn't claim to be vegetarian ever, according to what you told us, and her statement is correct that she's not a vegan.

so where exactly would you correct her?

are you ASSUMING she's a veg because she sometimes gets a veggie burger?

Oops... sorry, I originally replied thinking you were talking about the second customer.

Actually, the first customer told me she was a vegetarian right when she sat down and asked what we had for vegetarians. (I edited the original post to include that... I don't know how I forgot that). But even if she didn't claim to be a vegan, she thought vegans didn't eat meat and that was it (she didn't know the difference between vegetarian and vegan). She thought vegan was vegetarian and vegetarian means you eat meat sometimes.
#13 Old 01-09-2007, 04:23 PM

..........ovo.............vegan.............uh.... ca..nt..c...o..m..p.u..t.e....

/brain asplode
#14 Old 01-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

..........ovo.............vegan.............uh.... ca..nt..c...o..m..p.u..t.e....

/brain asplode

LMAO. I know, I know.
#15 Old 01-09-2007, 10:33 PM

*ka-thunk*

That was the sound of my jaw hitting the desk.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#16 Old 01-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Banned

Coworker: "You silly vegan"

Me: "I'm not vegan."

Coworker: "Yes you are. What do you eat that has a face?"

Me: "Um..nothing."

Coworker: "Exactly. Vegetarians don't eat red meat, and you don't eat any so you're vegan"

Me: "K."
#17 Old 01-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Banned

Whoops forgot a part. "Vegetarians don't eat red meat, and vegans don't eat anything with a face. You don't eat any, so you're a vegan"
#18 Old 01-09-2007, 10:53 PM

I do not like putting to much emphasis on labels but yes, ovo-vegan and the "hard core vegans" (who are actually, um, vegan) is nutty! I think this woman just felt special when her doctor labelled her so she's trying to milk it for all its worth (oh wait, she's ovovegan not lactovegan!)
#19 Old 01-09-2007, 11:28 PM

I would be tempted to argue -- and probably would because I hate it when people don't have the right information.

Unfortunately, in this situation, she has no more reason to believe you than herself, and people think doctors have knowledge in areas where they don't. What it boils down to is toss the label and feed her what she eats.
#20 Old 01-09-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

"Yeah. I know someone who is a hardcore vegan. She didn't eat ANYTHING that came from an animal."

As opposed to a softcore vegan who does eat animal products?.

hehe...good one....thanx for sharing the stories.
#21 Old 01-10-2007, 01:39 AM

It's sad that animals' well-being and lives are held in the hands of idiots. The most ignorant, racist, belligerant, thoughtless human...still gets to have animals tortured and slaughtered for him or herself and feel perfectly justified for causing the suffering and death.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#22 Old 01-10-2007, 02:15 AM

that got to be the most hiliarious conversation i ever heard and the most stupidest. Now, if i was talking to that customer.... man, i would just laugh at her face.
#23 Old 01-10-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

...She acted like she knew more about vegetarianism than me...

Arguing, in this situation, would get you nowhere, because I'm sure she believed she DID know more than you. You probably won't convince anyone of anything - or change their mind, by arguing. You'll just raise your own bloodpressure a notch or two...

People argue when they are convinced THEY are right - it's going to take other methods of persuasion to change their minds - even over something as silly as a label.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

I would be tempted to argue -- and probably would because I hate it when people don't have the right information.

Unfortunately, in this situation, she has no more reason to believe you than herself, and people think doctors have knowledge in areas where they don't. What it boils down to is toss the label and feed her what she eats.

Exactly. She's a customer and wants to claim a certain label. Shrug it off and feed her what she wants.
#24 Old 01-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

Whoops forgot a part. "Vegetarians don't eat red meat, and vegans don't eat anything with a face. You don't eat any, so you're a vegan"

I just love it when people think they know more about vegetarianism and veganism than you, even though they're meat eaters. Silly Omnis...
#25 Old 01-10-2007, 11:31 AM

God some people are so stupid
#26 Old 01-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

I do not like putting to much emphasis on labels but yes, ovo-vegan and the "hard core vegans" (who are actually, um, vegan) is nutty! I think this woman just felt special when her doctor labelled her so she's trying to milk it for all its worth (oh wait, she's ovovegan not lactovegan!)

Yeah... I think she likes the attention. She's one of those customers at work that no one wants to help.

I just wanted this lady to be somewhat educated... I don't want her going around saying these things, making herself look dumb. Plus, giving veggies a bad name.
#27 Old 01-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

*shakes head* Poor woman...I wouldn't like to go around telling people wrong things. I'd want to be corrected. If someone brought something to my attention, like i might not be correct in my thinkings, I research it. A little research never hurt anyone.
#28 Old 01-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

It's sad that animals' well-being and lives are held in the hands of idiots. The most ignorant, racist, belligerant, thoughtless human...still gets to have animals tortured and slaughtered for him or herself and feel perfectly justified for causing the suffering and death.

I agree with you. It's very sad.
#29 Old 01-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudVegan View Post

that got to be the most hiliarious conversation i ever heard and the most stupidest. Now, if i was talking to that customer.... man, i would just laugh at her face.

You have no idea how hard it was not to laugh, call her an idiot, and walk away. If I wasn't working... it might have been a different story... *hehe* Seriously though... since when is turkey, chicken, and fish vegetarian? SERIOUSLY? *shakes head*
#30 Old 01-10-2007, 11:46 AM

gaak! i would be pulling my hair out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page