Where do you store your eggs and/or butter? - VeggieBoards

View Poll Results: Where do you store your eggs and butter?
Butter in the fridge 0 0%
Eggs in the fridge 0 0%
Butter at room temp 0 0%
Eggs at room temp 0 0%
None of the above - I don't buy butter or eggs 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-06-2006, 07:31 AM

At grocery stores in both Europe and Australia, eggs were sold on a shelf (rather than refrigerated case). And in Europe, many houses store butter on the counter in a butter bell. My grandmother used to store butter on the counter (not sure if this was a Swedish thing or a farmhouse thing).

I grew up storing both in the fridge, but now store my butter in pottery on the table. Eggs still go in the fridge, however.

You?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-06-2006, 07:51 AM

I don't buy either now, but when I did, they both went in the fridge. I would consider an egg sitting out for more than half a day to be bad.
#3 Old 11-06-2006, 07:53 AM

Do you have to buy a certain type of butter to keep it from melting, or does it just stay on its own?

#4 Old 11-06-2006, 08:00 AM

my experience in Germany is that most homes have a cool pantry for butter, eggs and the like. the huge refrigerators we have in the US are not seen there- it's considered wasteful.

i keep EB in the fridge but Peanut butter in the cabinet.
#5 Old 11-06-2006, 08:22 AM

Eggs in the frig, butter in a butter bell.
#6 Old 11-06-2006, 08:25 AM

there are some farm fresh eggs you dont need to put in fridge, but once put in fridge, always in the fridge.

I use smart balance spread so it stays in the fridge.
#7 Old 11-06-2006, 09:30 AM

Eggs in the fridge, butter in a butter dish on the counter. I like the butter this way. It's easier to spread without tearing the bread.
#8 Old 11-06-2006, 09:44 AM

Before I was vegan, I kept butter and eggs in the fridge.

I can see why people would keep butter out of the fridge, because when you take it out it's already cold and hard. Then you have to wait for it to soften. EB is cool because it softens pretty quickly, almost too quickly.
#9 Old 11-06-2006, 10:55 AM

Both in the fridge, but if I have extra butter, that goes in the freezer.
#10 Old 11-06-2006, 12:09 PM

Eggs and butter (Smart Balance Light) in the fridge although I'd love to have a butter bell.
#11 Old 11-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Eggs I keep at room temp because they come straight from the farm, I do not buy butter I buy earth balance so it stays in the fridge since room temp makes it turn into liquid.
#12 Old 11-06-2006, 07:38 PM

I keep both in the fridge. It is just something both my mom and grandmother did.
#13 Old 11-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I abhor the idea of unrefrigerated butter or eggs.

I currently have "Tastes Like Butter" margarine in a tub in my fridge. I haven't bought eggs in months, partly because I don't eat them fast enough to use an entire dozen, and partly because I haven't noticed any local egg farmers on my normal routes around the county. I'm sure they're there, but I don't exactly miss having eggs around.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#14 Old 11-06-2006, 08:42 PM

Thing is, eggs in the grocery store are hardly "farm fresh"... so why do we feel we need to refrigerate them? Do we?
#15 Old 11-06-2006, 10:10 PM

butter and eggs both in the fridge.
#16 Old 12-19-2006, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Thing is, eggs in the grocery store are hardly "farm fresh"... so why do we feel we need to refrigerate them? Do we?

If you're getting farm fresh eggs and using them up fast, you wouldn't need to refrigerate them because they get used before they go bad. Butter and eggs are both fine on the counter but they last longer if they're refrigerated (especially eggs). In the US, FDA regulations require that eggs sold commercially be kept under refrigeration to prevent the growth of salmonella.
#17 Old 12-19-2006, 09:59 AM

earth balance goes in the refrigerators.

eggs are not found in my home, but if they were, it would be in the refrigerator, waiting to be fed back to the hens.
#18 Old 12-19-2006, 10:14 AM

I store my eggs in the chicken, and butter in the cow.

Where they belong.

/runs
#19 Old 12-19-2006, 10:28 AM
Banned

yeah, i don't have my own eggs or butter, but at home (in england) my mother has always kept eggs in an egg-rack thing on the counter (in a nice cool shady spot, not in full sunlight where they'd no doubt hard boil themselves on the one warm day a year that we get in england, lol), and butter in a ceramic butterdish, also on the counter.

in her house they go through about a dozen eggs in a week, if not more, and they come either from a small farm just up the road, or a dude down the road who has bantoms (which lay very cool blue eggs, lol) - i've never known any of her eggs to go bad this way, even after a few weeks, but i guess if they were there for 3 months or something, they might.

her ceramic butterdish (with a lid) does a really good job of keeping the butter just at a firm but spreadable consistancy. if you keep your butter in the fridge, how on earth do you spread it on bread without either waiting for an hour for the butter to warm up and loose its brick-like consistancy, overmicrowaving it and melting it yuckily, or ending up with a slice of bread that looks like its had very bad plastic surgery? i guess that in the week long british summer, butter in a butterdish will separate though, so i suppose it'd need to go in the fridge, a cool dark cupboard, or a bowl of cold water, or something, then.
#20 Old 12-19-2006, 10:31 AM

Eggs in the fridge, butter on the counter when we have it (usually just margarine, which goes in the fridge as it spreads easily and would likely go bad if it was kept out).
#21 Old 12-19-2006, 10:37 AM

I dont buy eggs and i dont buy or eat butter,but we have always kept both in the fridge when growing up.
#22 Old 12-19-2006, 11:22 AM

I keep Earth Balance in the fridge. When I was buying eggs, I always kept them in the fridge. I don't like taking a chance with this kind of perishable groceries.

*this space not for sale*
#23 Old 12-19-2006, 11:26 AM

Earth Balance and eggs in the fridge
#24 Old 12-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

With an exception - if I have farm-fresh eggs, I'll keep them at room temperature for a while. Once they're refrigerated, they need to stay that way, but you eggs won't go bad at room temperature for a while.

But, I don't eat eggs quickly enough to trust them at room temperature that long. It all goes in the fridge.
#25 Old 12-19-2006, 12:43 PM

Eggs in pantry, butter in fridge.

All eggs are sold off the shelf in NZ, plus my nana says that if you want to whip us nice fluffy egg white for something (like a pavlova) it doesn't work as well if they're cold.

If we left our butter out it would melt.
#26 Old 12-19-2006, 12:46 PM

Man, I'm surprised so many people keep their eggs in the fridge. What about tomatoes? We keep them in the fruit bowl on the bench.
#27 Old 12-19-2006, 12:53 PM

Tomatoes out, as well as some fruit (bananas and pears come to mind) and squashes.
#28 Old 12-20-2006, 12:14 AM
Veggie Regular

My dad only bought margerine, which is not butter. We kept it at room temprature. I keep butter in the fridge until shortly before using it because it is a milk product.
#29 Old 12-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

On the rare occasion that I have butter, I keep what I want to be spreadable out. Margarine and eggs are kept in the fridge. If I have Earth Balance and I want it spreadable or to put in cookie dough, I take it out of the fridge about half an hour before using.
#30 Old 12-20-2006, 06:51 PM

just a aside: mayonaise, the egg kind, does not need to be refrigerated. i swear it's true.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page