Hey (survey on vegetarianism) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-23-2006, 04:30 AM
Beginner

hey guys how y'all doin? im doin a food tec assignment on vegetarianism and was just wondering if ne one could help me out. just a quick simple survey if u got ne time 2 spare that would b sweet and greatly appreciated. ne way if ne of y'all can, u can reply 2 this

What nationality are you?

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion?

Are you a vegetarian due to a low income?

Meat doesnt provide any essential nutrients do you agree with this statement

Select one of the following: you are vegan/lacto-vegetarian/lacto-ovo vegetarian

Describe your typical everyday diet

Can these ingredients be brought the local supermarket? If not where can they be purchased?

Are there any special vegetarian foods sold at the local supermarket you rely heavily on? If yes please list the food/ingredient and brand

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients?

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet?

Was vegetarianism a personal choice you made?

Any major factors influencing your vegetarian diet?

Do you often eat out? If yes what type of food is consumed?

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian?

Were they vegetarian before or after you adopted the vegetarian diet?

Do you enjoy the taste of meat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-23-2006, 06:01 AM
Beginner

What nationality are you? Australian

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? Not religious

Are you a vegetarian due to a low income? No

“Meat doesn’t provide any essential nutrients” do you agree with this statement? No- i think that yes it contains some essential ingredients but none you cant get elsewhere.

Select one of the following: you are vegan/lacto-vegetarian/lacto-ovo vegetarian

Vegan

well today i had jam on toast for breakfast with a soy hotchoc and then a large salad roll for lunch with some fruit salad and then chickpea curry for dinner. and prolly have sum sorbet for dessert

Can these ingredients be brought the local supermarket? If not where can they be purchased? Yes. they all were.

Are there any special vegetarian foods sold at the local supermarket you rely heavily on? If yes please list the food/ingredient and brand. No.

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients? I take b12 supplement.

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet? Not contributing to heartless slaughtering of animals.

Was vegetarianism a personal choice you made? Yes. Wish i had made it sooner.

Any major factors influencing your vegetarian diet? Hmmm not sure what thequestion is asking. I'll say no?

Do you often eat out? If yes what type of food is consumed? havent eaten out much since went vegan. had chips and salad last time but was crappy place for vegan food. Going out to japanese restaraunt on wednesday which has lotsa veg goodies.

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian? yes. have a vege workmate and my mum and sister are pescatarian. and have a vege friend (but only coz she dont like meat not for animals so she not strict on stuff like chicken stock etc)

Were they vegetarian before or after you adopted the vegetarian diet? before

Do you enjoy the taste of meat? i did but havent craved it since i gave it up. the longer i abstain from it the more disgusting it becomes!!!
#3 Old 09-23-2006, 06:23 AM
Beginner

What nationality are you? British

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? Not religious

Meat doesnt provide any essential nutrients do you agree with this statement? I think some types of meat are very nutritious, and some aren't. I don't think meat provides nutrients you can't get elsewhere.

Select one of the following: you are vegan

Describe your typical everyday diet: Hard to do because I eat differently everyday. But I always start with coffee (black, one sugar). On weekdays I usually have cereal with soymilk and some fruit. On weekends I often have something like bread/potato scones, beans, and veggie sausages. Lunch is often sandwiches (salad, fake meat, chocolate spread, bean spread, whatever), a vegetable, a fruit, and a treat (often cereal bars or biscuits). I try to have a salad as soon as I get home from school, and dinner can be anything, but bean & pasta soup, pasta & sauce, stir-fry, vegetable soup, or curry are just a few of my stapes.

Can these ingredients be brought the local supermarket? If not where can they be purchased? Most of what I buy, I buy at the supermarket. Occasionally I go to the health food shop for fake cheese or just to see what interesting things they have, and sometimes I go to a fruit & veg shop instead of the supermarket for my produce, but it's available at the supermarket.

Are there any special vegetarian foods sold at the local supermarket you rely heavily on? If yes please list the food/ingredient and brand. Linda McCartney sausages, Rice Dream rice milk, Alpro Soy Milk. I wouldn't say I 'rely heavily' on them, but I also enjoy all the 'free from' type foods made for allergy sufferers as a lot of the biscuits and other treats are vegan.

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients? I don't really understand this question. If it is about supplements, I have a b12 supplement and a multivitamin I take when I remember. The b12 supplement is new because of my veganism, but I have always taken a multivitamin, even when I ate meat.

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet? Not feeling guilty when I eat any more.

Was vegetarianism a personal choice you made? yes.

Any major factors influencing your vegetarian diet? I don't understand the question.

Do you often eat out? If yes what type of food is consumed? I haven't eaten out since going vegan (I'm brand new). As a lacto-ovo, I used to go out a lot, mainly to italian places. I used to get vegetarian lasagne or pasta with various veggie sauces. I also often got Indian food, vegetable curries mostly.

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian? My sister and quite a few of my friends.

Were they vegetarian before or after you adopted the vegetarian diet? One of them is vegan since birth but I didn't know him before I went vegetarian. I think the rest of them all went veg after me, but I could be wrong on that because I could easily have forgotton some people.

Do you enjoy the taste of meat? I enjoyed it very much when I ate it, and I remember the taste of it and the taste seems nice. On the other hand, I think if I ate it now I would not enjoy it after not eating it in so long.
#4 Old 09-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Beginner

What nationality are you? American

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? Lutheran

Are you a vegetarian due to a low income? no

“Meat doesn’t provide any essential nutrients” do you agree with this statement

While I think meat provides some essential nutrients, you can get all (except B12, I admit) of them from healthier, plant based sources.

lacto-ovo vegetarian, although I minimize eggs and dairy

cereal of some sort with soymilk and fruit for breakfast, PBJ or hummus sandwhich or leftovers (often pasta) from the night before with some sort of fruits and veggies for lunch, various things for supper; my favorites are spaghetti w/ marinara sauce, vegetable stir-fry, rattitoulle, veggie and barley soup, minestrone, etc. (and during the fall, applesauce made from fresh apples!)

Can these ingredients be brought the local supermarket? yes, although I buy most of the fruits and vegetables from local farmer's markets.

Are there any special vegetarian foods sold at the local supermarket you rely heavily on? If yes please list the food/ingredient and brand

I occasionally get Boca veggie burgers, but do not rely on them at all; I do drink soymilk, although the brand varies, since my mom usually picks it up wherever she is shopping (she has different foods she buys at different stores and sometimes buys the store brand of soymilk and sometimes Silk.)

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients?

I take a b12 supplement about every other day (depending on the amount of dairy/eggs/fortified soymilk I've had that particular day)

It's healthy.

Was vegetarianism a personal choice you made? yes

health; not wanting to eat something that was once alive; environmental impact of meat farming; realization that it's unfair for me to overindulge in foods that are bad for me when there are people who are malnourished all over the world.

Do you often eat out? If yes what type of food is consumed? occasionally; it depends. I search the menu for non-meat items and I've always been able to find something so far...but I've only been a vegetarian for 2 months.

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian? my cousin is, one of my sisters is, and a few friends

friends and cousin were before; sister followed my example

Do you enjoy the taste of meat? The only meat I still remember as tasting good is shrimp. I never liked the taste of ham nor the texture of steak, and only ate boneless chicken. I've lost my taste for all meat except shrimp. I've been at a few parties where there's been shrimp and cocktail sauce (ketchup and horseradish) ...and i've combated the urge to eat shrimp by dipping chips in the cocktail sauce.
#5 Old 09-23-2006, 08:49 AM
Beginner

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? Not Religios

“Meat doesn’t provide any essential nutrients” do you agree with this statement? Meat does provide essential nutrients, but they can all be obtained elsewhere.

Select one of the following: you are vegan/lacto-vegetarian/lacto-ovo vegetarian. Vegan

Describe your typical everyday diet In the morning, some type of grain and either soy milk or water. In the afternoon, i usually have 3 pieces of fruit, some type of bread with hummus or soy margarine, and a home-made baked good. In the evening, isually either eat rice, or pasta, or potatoes, or legumes, or frozen veggies.

Can these ingredients be brought the local supermarket? If not where can they be purchased? Yes

Are there any special vegetarian foods sold at the local supermarket you rely heavily on? If yes please list the food/ingredient and brand. Just soy milk, and i'm cutting down on it.

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients? Net yet, but I'm going to start supplementing with B11

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet? Not supporting factory farms

Was vegetarianism a personal choice you made? Yes

Any major factors influencing your vegetarian diet? No. No allergies, or anything like that.

Do you often eat out? If yes what type of food is consumed? No, But I didn't eat out often as an omni

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian? One friend is l/o and a family member is supposedly l/o, but he eats nothing but processed garbage

Were they vegetarian before or after you adopted the vegetarian diet? Yes, but neither one influenced me.

Do you enjoy the taste of meat? I used to enjoy it, but now the smell makes me gag.
#6 Old 09-23-2006, 09:10 AM
Beginner

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? I usually call myself spiritual. I borrow from different religions, mostly New Age/Buddhism.

“Meat doesn’t provide any essential nutrients” do you agree with this statement: It does, but you can get those nutrients from other foods.

Select one of the following: you are vegan/lacto-vegetarian/lacto-ovo vegetarian Lacto-ovo vegetarian

Describe your typical everyday diet College cafeteria food, which means eggs and a carb for breakfast, something cheesy or rice for lunch (with vegetables if I can get them), and a salad with pasta or a plate of vegetables and a potato for dinner. I also tend to have a fourth meal before bed, which could be anything from saltine crackers, a bowl of cereal with soy milk, a bag of chips, or canned vegetable soup.

Can these ingredients be brought the local supermarket? If not where can they be purchased? When I'm at home and cooking real food, I buy everything I need at Giant Eagle's (a supermarket chain).

Are there any special vegetarian foods sold at the local supermarket you rely heavily on? If yes please list the food/ingredient and brand I love Morningstar Farms veggie burgers. I also buy a lot of Silk soymilk.

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients? No, unless you count fake meat.

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet? Knowing that my meals aren't the result of an animal being cruelly killed.

Any major factors influencing your vegetarian diet? My morals. I eat very limited dairy because of a lactose intolerance.

Do you often eat out? If yes what type of food is consumed? Yes. At a normal restaurant I usually get an appetizer. I like Italian restaurants, where I can eat pasta, and Asian restaurants, which usually have vegetable dishes.

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian? Before going vegetarian, I had vegetarian friends, but they were more aquaintances than friends. Since going vegetarian, I have had the good luck to be roomed right by a vegetarian at college, and we are now good friends (not because of our eating habits, though. That's just a bonus). No one in my family is vegetarian.

Were they vegetarian before or after you adopted the vegetarian diet? We were both vegetarian when we met.

Do you enjoy the taste of meat? I still crave it, but it grosses me out. I do enjoy the taste of fake meats.
#7 Old 09-23-2006, 09:20 AM
Beginner

What nationality are you? English

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? Yes, buddhist

Meat doesnt provide any essential nutrients do you agree with this statement - No - meat has some nutrients, but nothing that can't be gotten easily from plant sources

Select one of the following: you are vegan/lacto-vegetarian/lacto-ovo vegetarian - vegan

Describe your typical everyday diet. breakfast: wholewheat toast, muesli, or cereal, with a piece of fruit, or some seeds+nuts. Midday: sandwhiches using wholewheat bread or pittas, with some combination of veggies, sprouts, hummous, tahini, marmite, dressing etc, or a homemade salad, with fruit/nuts/seeds for desert Evening: some grain (brown rice, pasta, quinoa, millet, cous cous, bulgar wheat etc), plus some veggies in a sauce/curry/chilli/stirfry. I always include some dark green leafy veggies, and lentils, beans, tofu or seitan for extra protein. Snacks during the day: veggie sticks, dried fruit, spicey baked chickpeas, a bag of crisps etc

Can these ingredients be brought the local supermarket? If not where can they be purchased? Yes, except for seitan, which i get from a hfs. i sometimes get vegan ice cream from the hfs

Are there any special vegetarian foods sold at the local supermarket you rely heavily on? If yes please list the food/ingredient and brand - except for veggies and grains? No

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients? No, i dont usually use fake meats since i structure my food around the veg. tofu and seitan get used a few times a month

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet? Good for the environment, good for the animals, and good for me

Any major factors influencing your vegetarian diet? Major dislike of factory farms and the unscrupulous business practices used by large commercial farms - these are bad for the human workers and the environment, and especially the animals being exploited.

Do you often eat out? If yes what type of food is consumed? Yes, a couple of times a week. Usually just typical pub-grub, but chinese, indian and middle eastern restaurants seem to have a much better choice for vegans than most omni restaurants.

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian? a couple of friends

Were they vegetarian before or after you adopted the vegetarian diet? both

Do you enjoy the taste of meat? I havent eaten any for 13 years, so i can't really remember the taste. before i went veg, i liked it tho. Now i find the idea of eating flesh distinctly unpleasant!
#8 Old 09-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Beginner

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? yes Wiccan

Meat doesnt provide any essential nutrients do you agree with this statement In a way yes it does provide essential nutrients but not anything you can not get from plants,nuts,seeds etc

Select one of the following: you are vegan/lacto-vegetarian/lacto-ovo vegetarian Lacto-ovo vegetarian but eggs are rare and the only dairy I eat anymore is yogurt

Describe your typical everyday diet Well I can do that sort of but it caries greatly from day to day unless I have a surpluss in my garden.

I start my day off with mint tea & honey I always eat a fruit and a grain for breakfast.

Lunch and dinner are always very varied lots of veggies and lots of beans, lentils.

I do not eat processed foods or pasta and such very often.

I do eat a bit of Seiten

Can these ingredients be brought the local supermarket? If not where can they be purchased?

Yes, even the seiten I buy can buy the flour at the market and just make it at home.

Are there any special vegetarian foods sold at the local supermarket you rely heavily on? If yes please list the food/ingredient and brand No

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients? No

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet? Besides the food just tasteing better? I have to say the Eco friendliness

Any major factors influencing your vegetarian diet? Inability to eat soy does cut out many choices but none that I miss

No often no but there is this one place where I can get an eggplant pizza on a honey wheat dough

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian? not strictly speaking my children eat veg*n meals most of the time but if we go out to eat all bets are off

Were they vegetarian before or after you adopted the vegetarian diet? Oldest child was for the first 4 years of her life , youngest still is not.

Do you enjoy the taste of meat I suppose in a way I did but I guess I did not enjoy it more than say grains and veggies because I have always perfered them.
#9 Old 09-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Beginner

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? yes, Catholic

Meat doesnt provide any essential nutrients do you agree with this statement yes

Select one of the following: you are vegan/lacto-vegetarian/lacto-ovo vegetarian lacto-ovo vegetarian

Describe your typical everyday diet B-Luna bar; L- pb&j, hummus & pita bread, or leftovers; D- some type of veggie dish, salad, and rice or pasta or potato or couscous

Can these ingredients be brought the local supermarket? If not where can they be purchased? yes, except for the Luna bars. I get them at Trader Joe's

I sometimes eat Gardenburgers and also like Morning Star veggie crumbles

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients? no

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet? I physically feel better and don't have the guilt that I had when eating meat

Any major factors influencing your vegetarian diet? My mom called to tell me about a special that she watched about animals and their emotional lives. I then did a bunch of research to find out what I would need to eat to live with a nutritionally balanced vegetarian diet. Then I realized it would be totally easy. I haven't regretted it once.

Do you often eat out? If yes what type of food is consumed? We eat out now and again. I get pasta, a veggie burger, or some other veggie dinner.

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian? no

Do you enjoy the taste of meat? Not really, I just liked the sauces that I put on it like bar-b-q or teryiaki.
#10 Old 09-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Beginner

Male

English

No; Agnostic

Nope, but I do have a low income! (college student without much help)

Disagree...

VEGAN

Honestly, here on campus, it's almost always something like this:

Breakfast - cereal with soymilk AND/or fruit.

Lunch - peanutbutter and jelly on a bagel, some chickpeas then I mix it up with a side of fresh fruit, veggies or some more beans.

Dinner - same as above.

*NOTE* Sometimes the cafeteria has not vegan meals that I will eat...probably on average for maybe 4 out of the 14 meals a week that I go there for.

Also, I will have something else every now and then, but it's almost always along these lines.

Yes. (confusing question, unless I accidentally erased something)

Chickpeas, lol. everything else varies depending on mood/season/location/etc

Not really, but I try to have a well-balanced diet and eat fortified foods.

1. Health (honestly...a very close second is world/environment/helping animals/etc)

YES!

I'm not sure, so I'll so no.

Very rarely. Usually a salad or pasta if I do go out.

Older brother.

I'm not sure...they changed ROUGHLY around the same time as me, but probably a little bit after...I didn't have much of an effect on their decision. (at least not that I'm aware about)

No. Sure, I used to, but once I tried other foods and knew what goes on "behind the scenes" I definitely do NOT enjoy it anymore.
#11 Old 09-23-2006, 07:38 PM
Beginner

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? Not sure.

Are you a vegetarian due to a low income? No.

Meat doesnt provide any essential nutrients do you agree with this statement No, I disagree.

Select one of the following: you are vegan/lacto-vegetarian/lacto-ovo vegetarian Vegan.

Describe your typical everyday diet grains, fruits, veggies, tofu, beans

Can these ingredients be brought the local supermarket? If not where can they be purchased? Yes.

Are there any special vegetarian foods sold at the local supermarket you rely heavily on? If yes please list the food/ingredient and brand No.

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients? No, I do not think of my diet as containing "replacements."

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet? A vegan diet is the most compassionate, and that is what I find most appealing.

Was vegetarianism a personal choice you made? Yes.

Any major factors influencing your vegetarian diet? Animals, the environment, my health.

Do you often eat out? If yes what type of food is consumed? No.

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian? My fiance is transitioning to veganism, my mother is a vegan.

Were they vegetarian before or after you adopted the vegetarian diet? They went veg*n after I changed my lifestyle.

Do you enjoy the taste of meat? I used to enjoy the taste of meat when I consumed it. I do not know if I would enjoy it now.
#12 Old 09-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Beginner

What nationality are you? New Zealander

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? N/A

Meat doesnt provide any essential nutrients do you agree with this statement? No, it does provide essetial nutrients, it's just not the only source

Select one of the following: you are vegan/lacto-vegetarian/lacto-ovo vegetarian: Lacto-ovo veg

Describe your typical everyday diet: Cereal for breakfast, pasta/sushi/sandwiches for lunch, veges or salad plus potatoes, pasta, or rice for dinner. Sometimes a combination of these things. Plus snacks (biscuits, chips, fruit)

Can these ingredients be brought the local supermarket? If not where can they be purchased? Local supermarket

Are there any special vegetarian foods sold at the local supermarket you rely heavily on? If yes please list the food/ingredient and brand: Vegetarian cheese, Mainland.

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients? Nope

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet? Not feeling guilty about eating animals anymore.

Was vegetarianism a personal choice you made? Yip

Any major factors influencing your vegetarian diet? Ethical (love for animals)

Do you often eat out? If yes what type of food is consumed? Sometimes, usually roast vege salad or corn fritters at restuarants (usually not much veg. selection), or subway.

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian? Nope

Were they vegetarian before or after you adopted the vegetarian diet? N/A

Do you enjoy the taste of meat? I used to, but I don't think I would anymore.
#13 Old 09-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Beginner

What nationality are you? american

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? not religious

Meat doesnt provide any essential nutrients do you agree with this statement. yes

Select one of the following: you are vegan/lacto-vegetarian/lacto-ovo vegetarian. vegan

Describe your typical everyday diet..breakfast: 1/2 cup kashi, 1/2 cup fiber one cereal, soymilk, strawberries. lunch: chili (boca meat crumbles/beans/salsa/spices) small salad. dinner: wrap, hummus, veggies, big bowl of stir fry veggies

Can these ingredients be brought the local supermarket? If not where can they be purchased? yes

Are there any special vegetarian foods sold at the local supermarket you rely heavily on? If yes please list the food/ingredient and brand. boca meat crumbles

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients? yes

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet? its healthy and theres no way i could go back to eating meat, eggs or dairy

Any major factors influencing your vegetarian diet? did a report in jr high about slaughterhouses. never again will i eat meat

Do you often eat out? If yes what type of food is consumed? once a week or two. always ruby tuesdays. bbq veggie burger and salad bar

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian? one friend

Were they vegetarian before or after you adopted the vegetarian diet? about the same time if not after

Do you enjoy the taste of meat? no its disgusting
#14 Old 09-24-2006, 04:36 PM
Beginner

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? Yes, Christian

“Meat doesn’t provide any essential nutrients” do you agree with this statement? No, but the essential nutrients from vegetables are superior to meat.

Select one of the following: lacto-ovo vegetarian

Describe your typical everyday diet. Usually cereal with soy milk for breakfast, a meatless smoked turkey sandwich with soy yogurt and fruit for lunch, and BBQ tofu with veggies or something similar to that for dinner.

Can these ingredients be brought the local supermarket? If not where can they be purchased? Yes

Are there any special vegetarian foods sold at the local supermarket you rely heavily on? If yes please list the food/ingredient and brand. Worthington's Meatless smoked turkey

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients? No

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet? It's healthy

Any major factors influencing your vegetarian diet? I learned that vegetarians tend to have less heart disease and lower cholesterol.

Do you often eat out? If yes what type of food is consumed? Italian

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian? My fiance is vegetarian

Were they vegetarian before or after you adopted the vegetarian diet? After

Do you enjoy the taste of meat? Yes, that's why I like meat substitutes.
#15 Old 09-24-2006, 04:46 PM
Beginner

What nationality are you? United States of America'n.

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? No

Are you a vegetarian due to a low income? No. Interesting question. I'd be curious to know if you get anyone that answers Yes to that.

Meat doesnt provide any essential nutrients do you agree with this statement. No.

Select one of the following: you are vegan/lacto-vegetarian/lacto-ovo vegetarian. Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian.

Describe your typical everyday diet. Fast food, junk food, microwaveable meals.

Can these ingredients be brought the local supermarket? If not where can they be purchased? Yes.

Are there any special vegetarian foods sold at the local supermarket you rely heavily on? If yes please list the food/ingredient and brand. Frozen pizza.

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients? That's a strangely worded question. I do take a B12 pill, flax seed supplements, and an occassionally multivitamin.

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet? That fewer animals are killed for my food.

Any major factors influencing your vegetarian diet? The internet. PETA.

Do you often eat out? If yes what type of food is consumed? Yes. Fast food. Subs.

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian? Yes.

Were they vegetarian before or after you adopted the vegetarian diet? After.

Do you enjoy the taste of meat? Yes.
#16 Old 09-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Beginner

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? Non-specific spiritual

Are you a vegetarian due to a low income? No, but it has saved me tons of money.

Meat doesnt provide any essential nutrients do you agree with this statement? No

Select one of the following: lacto-ovo vegetarian

Describe your typical everyday diet. Protein shake, veg burger or dog, salad, rice and beans.

Are there any special vegetarian foods sold at the local supermarket you rely heavily on? If yes please list the food/ingredient and brand. Veggie Burgers.

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients? Daily Vitamins.

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet? Nobody died for my dinner.

Any major factors influencing your vegetarian diet? Better health.

Do you often eat out? If yes what type of food is consumed? Thai and Italian

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian? Yes, two friends. One is Buddhist.

Were they vegetarian before or after you adopted the vegetarian diet? After

Do you enjoy the taste of meat? No, never have really. Hated fish all my life.
#17 Old 09-25-2006, 07:55 AM
Beginner

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? Non-Denominational Christian

No. I think it does but that these could just as easily be supplemented in vegetarian diets.

Lacto-ovo

Anything but meat? A lot of carbs in the form of fruit and veggies. And doughnuts. All I eat are fruit, veggies, and doughnuts. And fried rice.

I get them all in my dorm, but I guess you could buy that stuff at the store...

I don't know if I'd say HEAVILY, but I srink a lot of Soy Slender soymilk. Its got Splenda in it. They sell it at Walmart.

Nope.

Nothing you eat is a dead animal.

Yup.

Meat got kinda gross.

Yes. I eat Indian food a lot or veggies and tofu at Chinese places. And Taco Bell always subs beans for meat.

No, but I got my dad to drink soy milk and my brother to eat LESS meat.

N/A

No.
#18 Old 09-25-2006, 08:24 AM
Beginner

What nationality are you?caucasian

Are you a vegetarian due to a low income? No, but that is convenient, isn't it?

“Meat doesn’t provide any essential nutrients” do you agree with this statement? Yes, whole-heartedly

Select one of the following: you are vegan/lacto-vegetarian/lacto-ovo vegetarian: Vegan

Describe your typical everyday diet: Flax cereal with almond milk for breakfast, pita stuffed with assorted items in the 'fridge + a cliff bar for lunch, and some sort of potato-mushroom-rice/pasta thing for dinner.

Can these ingredients be brought the local supermarket? If not where can they be purchased? I can get them pretty readily, but not in my little town.

Are there any special vegetarian foods sold at the local supermarket you rely heavily on? If yes please list the food/ingredient and brand: Just potatoes and frozen veggies/juice concentrates

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients? I take a multivitamin, if that's what you mean. I don't take a b12 or anything like that.

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet? HEALTH

Any major factors influencing your vegetarian diet? Living on a farm and seeing the animals killed is a HUGE part of it. That's not natural, it's murder.

Do you often eat out? If yes what type of food is consumed? I visit the Indian resturaunt sometimes, and mexican resturaunts are a good choice.

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian? Nope

Do you enjoy the taste of meat? I used to, but even the sight of it makes me sick.
#19 Old 09-25-2006, 10:19 AM
Beginner

What nationality are you? US

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? yes, Wiccan

Meat doesnt provide any essential nutrients do you agree with this statement - The statement is false, but meat does not provide any essential nutrients that cannot be found elsewhere.

near-vegetarian, eggs/dairy only rarely

Describe your typical everyday diet - protein shake, vegan burrito, maybe soup/falafel, pasta, ....

Can these ingredients be brought the local supermarket? If not where can they be purchased? yes

I don't "rely heavily" on any particular special foods, but I do occasionally use veggie burgers, veggie dogs, seitan, TVP.

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients? not really; mostly eat grains, legumes, vegetables

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet? it's tasty and nutritious and is respectable of animal life.

Any major factors influencing your vegetarian diet? spiritual awareness, environmental awareness

Do you often eat out? If yes what type of food is consumed? yes, maybe once a week or so. I eat at places that have tasty vegetarian options

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian? My lover is vegan

Were they vegetarian before or after you adopted the vegetarian diet? We both had our current diets when we met

Do you enjoy the taste of meat?[/QUOTE] I did enjoy it when I ate it, but don't miss it now.
#20 Old 09-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Beginner

What nationality are you? English

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? I have no official religion, but am spiritually minded.

Meat doesnt provide any essential nutrients do you agree with this statement? Don't agree with it, but I believe plants have better nutrients than meat.

Select one of the following: you are vegan/lacto-vegetarian/lacto-ovo vegetarian. I'm a happy Vegan

Breakfast: bran flakes with rice milk, one banana, glass of pressed apple juice OR glass of strawberry and banana smoothie

Lunch: apple/pear fruit spread sandwhich (on wholemeal), bowl of fruit, apple juice, small pot of fruit puree

Dinner: I have something different each night. Today I have wholemeal spaghetti with tomato sauce and chargrilled vegetables.

Can these ingredients be brought the local supermarket? If not where can they be purchased? Either my organic supermarket or my health food store.

Are there any special vegetarian foods sold at the local supermarket you rely heavily on? If yes please list the food/ingredient and brand.

I eat a lot of fruit and veg! Also, the above tomato sauce (+ chargrilled veg).

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients? My bran flakes have high levels of b12, so I have no need.

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet? My main reason: I have no guilt on my conscience.

My belief that all species are equal, even the non-human ones!

Meet Your Meat did a lot for me. And Earthlings made my decision concrete.

Do you often eat out? If yes what type of food is consumed? No.

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian? I have two vegetarian friends (I think they're both L/O)

Were they vegetarian before or after you adopted the vegetarian diet? Before.

Do you enjoy the taste of meat? No. I hated it before I went veggie. I was planning to go veggie months before I actually did.
#21 Old 09-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Beginner

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? Mormon

Meat doesnt provide any essential nutrients do you agree with this statement? Well, yes and no. Meat supplies some essential nutrients but meat isn't the only (or best) way to get it. There are plenty of plant sources of protien, iron, etc and you can get B12 from a suppliment or nutritional yeast.

Select one of the following: you are vegan/lacto-vegetarian/lacto-ovo vegetarian: lacto-ovo (minimal)

Describe your typical everyday diet: For breakfast I usually have oatmeal with soymilk, flax seed or nuts and fruit (usually blueberries). For lunch I usually either have leftovers from the night before or I eat out (usually something ethnic like chinese). Dinner varies, we eat a lot of pasta, rice, beans, veggies, etc. There's no pattern to it.

Can these ingredients be brought the local supermarket? If not where can they be purchased? I buy all my ingredients from a local store but not always a regular supermarket. I frequently shop at local health food stores and get most of my produce from a local farm.

Are there any special vegetarian foods sold at the local supermarket you rely heavily on? If yes please list the food/ingredient and brand: soymilk (whatever brand is cheapest that day.)

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients? I take a multivitamin but I was doing that before I went vegetarian

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet? Lots of things, I can be satisfied on fewer calories making it easier to lose weight, I never have to pick bones out of my food, The food is more enjoyable and varied

Any major factors influencing your vegetarian diet? I believe that animal products are not healthy to consume and is a major contributor to heart disease, obesity, cancer and other chronic illnesses

Do you often eat out? If yes what type of food is consumed? Frequently. I eat a lot of asian food at resaurants.

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian? not yet but by husband and children are moving in that direction

Do you enjoy the taste of meat? no. I never have.
#22 Old 09-25-2006, 11:29 AM
Beginner

What nationality are you? British

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? No. Don't agree with organised religion.

I'm sure essential nutriants can be found in animal flesh... just as I am sure it can be found in human flesh. But I have not desire to consume either.

Select one of the following: you are vegan/lacto-vegetarian/lacto-ovo vegetarian: Vegan

Describe your typical everyday diet: fruit, veggies, plenty of water, brown rice, tofu, etc.

Can these ingredients be brought the local supermarket? If not where can they be purchased? Mostly supermarket, otherwise at the local health food shop and asian food shop.

Tesco's own brand of soya milk. Its my favorite, but I could live without it.

The vegan foods I eat contain all the essential nutriants I need. I don't deliberatly try to find replacements for meat. I think meat is disgusting and would not want to replace it.

I'm vegan, not vegeterian... and I don't consider it a diet that "appeals" to me or a choice, that makes it sound like a fashion statement or something. Following a vegan diet is a matter of conscience and integrity for me.

Again, veganism. And yes - although not a choice as such, its a matter of consicence.

In the beginning, yes - I had a sadistic father who worked in a meat processing factory who told me what happened to animals in slaughter houses as a way of being cruel.

All the time. Indian resturants are by far the best. Can always find delicious vegan food in Indian resturants.

Some.

Some before, some after.

Don't know - haven't eaten it since age 11. The thought of eating it now repulses me.
#23 Old 09-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Beginner

Male

What nationality are you?

English

I consider vegetarianism to be my religion

No

“Meat doesn’t provide any essential nutrients” do you agree with this statement

Well it is one provider of essential nutrients but it is just as easy to recieve the same nutrients from different sources.

Thinking of going from Vegetarian to Lacto-vegetarian

Have a lot of salads and dry fruits

At local supermarkets, yes.

Holland and Barrett's

The fact I am doing my best to stop animal suffering and the fact that it is testing and improving my will power.

Definitely yes.

I usually have a mushroom dish or a beanburger when eating our. with a side salad.

A few people at school but not a lot.

Not sure.

Yes I do, I actually feel a little guilty about this. I eat a lot of quorn burgers.
#24 Old 09-25-2006, 02:51 PM
Beginner

hey guys how y'all doin? im doin a food tec assignment on vegetarianism and was just wondering if ne one could help me out. just a quick simple survey if u got ne time 2 spare that would b sweet and greatly appreciated. ne way if ne of y'all can, u can reply 2 this

What nationality are you? Canadian, my parents come from Poland

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? Yes; Roman Catholic

“Meat doesn’t provide any essential nutrients” do you agree with this statement Meat provides iron and such, but you could get that elsewhere

Describe your typical everyday diet Breakfast- sandwich with guacamole and veggie ham Lunch- varies Dinner- Yves veggie lasanga

Are there any special vegetarian foods sold at the local supermarket you rely heavily on? If yes please list the food/ingredient and brand I rely heavily on Yves veggie cuisine

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients? Yes

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet? Vegan ethics

Any major factors influencing your vegetarian diet? Health

Do you often eat out? If yes what type of food is consumed? Don't eat out often, usually get salad/veggie burger

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian? No

Do you enjoy the taste of meat? LOL, I hardly remember what meat tastes like. I enjoy veggie meats a lot, so assuming they taste the same, the answer is yes.
#25 Old 09-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Beginner

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? Yes, Presbyterian.

Are you a vegetarian due to a low income?No

Meat doesnt provide any essential nutrients do you agree with this statement. No, but I can get all of my essential nutrients from a plant based diet without sacrificing an animal.

Select one of the following: you are vegan/lacto-vegetarian/lacto-ovo vegetarian. lacto-vegetarian

Describe your typical everyday diet. As much as possible, I eat organic. A.M. whole grain cereal w/skim milk and fruit, whole grain toast w/ nat. peanut butter, OJ. Lunch: Bean burrito or salad. P.M. Spaghetti sauce w/ veggies over angel hair pasta, salad, and whole grain garlic bread. Snacks: Nuts, tomato juice, whole grain crackers w/ cheese.

Can these ingredients be brought the local supermarket? If not where can they be purchased? Most can, but I order organic grains off the web and special order other organic items(like OJ) from a coop.

Are there any special vegetarian foods sold at the local supermarket you rely heavily on? If yes please list the food/ingredient and brand. Morningstar Farms meat substitutes for my son and husband.

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients? I eat lots of dried beans and some nuts and nut butters for protein.

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet? Not harming animals and still getting all the nutrients I need.

Any major factors influencing your vegetarian diet?Animal welfare

Do you often eat out? If yes what type of food is consumed? No, but when I do it is mexican food.

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian?My son is.

Were they vegetarian before or after you adopted the vegetarian diet? My son has never had any meat his whole life. I was vegetarian when he was born.

Do you enjoy the taste of meat? I used to, but the thought of eating it makes me sick. It really grosses me out. I will never eat it again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#26 Old 09-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Beginner

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? Yes, Protestant.

No

“Meat doesn’t provide any essential nutrients” do you agree with this statement: yes, meat does provide essentrial nutrients, but nothing you can't get elsewhere.

Select one of the following: you are vegan/lacto-vegetarian/lacto-ovo vegetarian: I am lacto-ovo

It's hard being a college student...I usually have some sort of carb, fruits and veggies...nothing extravagent (sp?)

Trader Joe's, baby

Are there any special vegetarian foods sold at the local supermarket you rely heavily on? If yes please list the food/ingredient and brand: no

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients?: I take a multivitamin *shrug*

The fact that I'm not eating animal flesh

Yes

It really helped clear my skin, and I hate the idea of eating animals, especially because it's not necessary. What's the point?

Yes, salads and pastas. Vegetarian dishes- I had veggie lasagna yesterday and vegetarian chili the night before (at restaurants)

No My 14-year old neighbor and her 11-year old sister are...(smart girls)

My neighbors were before me...but they don't know that I am

Not anymore, it makes me gag.
#27 Old 09-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Beginner

What nationality are you? I'm Caucasian, I was born in the U.S.

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? I don't currently consider myself a religious person. I went to a Catholic high school, I've always assumed that if I ever have kids I will raise them in a Catholic environment

Are you a vegetarian due to a low income? No (is anyone?)

No. I would revise it to: Meat doesn't provide any essential nutrients that can't be found elsewhere.

Lots of Coffee. Lots of Whole Grains. I eat Soy products approx. 6 or 7 times a week. I try to eat as much fresh fruit as possible. I eat a lot of yogurt. I eat cheese 5 or 6 times a week. I eat a lot of chocolate, especially dark chocolate.

Yes but I do most of my grocery shopping at Whole Foods

I love Tofurkey Italian "Sausage"

I don't understand this question

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet? Its a healthy, environmentally responsible way to eat.

Any major factors influencing your vegetarian diet? The House of Horrors they call The Meat Industry

Yes. I like Middle Eastern and Indian Cuisine. I can always find something to eat at Italian Restaurants.

My best friend was a pescatarian for a long time. My parents were pescatarians in their 20s.

My pescatarian friend stopped eating poultry (she was already off red meat) when I became a full-fledged vegetarian. My parents were obviously before

Do you enjoy the taste of meat? Not anymore. This is kind of an awkwardly phrased question, shouldn't it be something like 'do you think you would still enjoy the taste of meat?' The answer to that question is no. I always like to note, however, that as a kid I was quite the carnivore.
#28 Old 09-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Beginner

What nationality are you?: american

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion?: nope

Are you a vegetarian due to a low income?: nope

Meat doesnt provide any essential nutrients do you agree with this statement: no

Select one of the following: you are vegan/lacto-vegetarian/lacto-ovo vegetarian: lacto-ovo

Describe your typical everyday diet: currently, a lot of ramen. we hit a low money point. that seems to be ending though, and tomorrow, i'm gonna eat vegetables til i explode.

Can these ingredients be brought the local supermarket? If not where can they be purchased?: yes

Are there any special vegetarian foods sold at the local supermarket you rely heavily on? If yes please list the food/ingredient and brand: nope. i'm fond of meat analogs (i like the texture a lot), but i don't rely on them, as they're expensive.

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients?: no. i probably should, because my diet's kinda crap. but whatever.

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet?: i find the idea of eating meat gross.

Was vegetarianism a personal choice you made?: yes, of course.

Any major factors influencing your vegetarian diet?: not really. eating animals just started to seem really weird to me.

Do you often eat out? If yes what type of food is consumed?: it depends. when i lived in portland, i ate a lot of thai food. now i live in a small town with not a whole lot nearby, so if i eat something not prepared at home, it's usually pizza.

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian?: some of my friends are, none of my family.

Were they vegetarian before or after you adopted the vegetarian diet?: before, or independently of me.

Do you enjoy the taste of meat?: i haven't had it in so long i don't remember what it tastes like really. i seem to recall liking chicken and turkey. however, one time i ordered a bean burrito and they gave me a beef burrito, which i discovered after taking a bite, and it was about the most disgusting thing ever.
#29 Old 09-28-2006, 11:27 PM
Beginner

What nationality are you? Bristish

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? No, I don't have a religion.

Meat doesnt provide any essential nutrients do you agree with this statement? No of course not! Meat prodes man essential nutriants I'm sure! Such as anmino acids etc, however they aren't the only providers of these essential nutrients and you can find them elsewere.

Select one of the following: lacto-ovo vegetarian.

Describe your typical everyday diet: Okay, so poached eggs, wholemeal toast, tinned tomatoes for breakfast, then walnut salad with humous and bread with peanut butter and a soya yougurt, then for dinner maybe some sweet potatoe and celery soup and stuffed peppers with roasted vegetables. that was yesterday.

Can these ingredients be brought the local supermarket? If not where can they be purchased? Yep.

Are there any special vegetarian foods sold at the local supermarket you rely heavily on? If yes please list the food/ingredient and brand. No not at all.

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients? Um yes

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet? It has a reduced amount of crulety compared to an omni diet.

Any major factors influencing your vegetarian diet? Seeing a 'chicken van' . It was just hideous, I couldn't belive there was alive animals in such crampt conditions.

Do you often eat out? If yes what type of food is consumed? Occationally, last time I went out I had an african stew.

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian? My family are (mum, dad, brother) and two friends.

Were they vegetarian before or after you adopted the vegetarian diet? After. All of them.

Do you enjoy the taste of meat? I did, I can't remember the actual taste anymore, but the thought repulses me.
#30 Old 09-28-2006, 11:46 PM
Beginner

What nationality are you? Canadian

Are you a religious person? If yes what religion? Nope. Used to be Catholic though.

“Meat doesn’t provide any essential nutrients” do you agree with this statement- I disagree, but I don't think meat is essential to a person's diet.

Select one of the following: you are vegan/lacto-vegetarian/lacto-ovo vegetarian- Lacto-ovo

Describe your typical everyday diet: Oatmeal with fruit, a smoothie made with soymilk and flaxseed or toast and jam for breakfast, some kind of wrap or bean dish or pasta with a veggie, a fruit, some kind of grain and something junkfoody for lunch, and some kind of soup/veggie/bean/rice/quinoa/tofu thing for dinner. This is with lots of snacks- usually granola bars or fruit/veggies or homemade muffins/cookies/whatever. I drink a lot of juice and soymilk.

Can these ingredients be brought the local supermarket? If not where can they be purchased? Mostly supermarkets. Our local one, anyways. Flaxseed you might have to find at a health food store, and Quinoa I get at a health food store.

Soymilk: So Nice Plain Soymilk

Tofu: Sunrise Soya Foods

During the summer, Yves Veggie Dogs and Presidents Choice Portabello Swiss Mushroom Burgers

Do you take a replacement food/substance for meat or foods rich in essential nutrients? Uh, no? I eat a lot of beans and rice and stuff... but that doesn't sound all that replacing. Oh, and my soymilk.

What is most appealing about a vegetarian diet? Not supporting an industry based on death and torture for our own gains.

Any major factors influencing your vegetarian diet? Well, I'm not vegan because I'm living at home with my omni family and we can get freeranged (but not cruelty free, of course) eggs and dairy where we live.

Do you often eat out? If yes what type of food is consumed? Not usually. When we do, I usually get a veggie burger or some kind of pasta. Dull but true.

Are any of your friends or family vegetarian? A few friends, sort of.

Were they vegetarian before or after you adopted the vegetarian diet? After. Really, I'm not a pushy person. [Although I did show a couple of them meet your meat, so...] Hence, sort of- they're (three of them) all in a sort of transition between omni and veggie but all plan to give it up entirely.

Do you enjoy the taste of meat? I used to, but I no longer like the smell.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page