flaked yeast = nutritional yeast? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-14-2006, 07:51 AM
Beginner

Does anyone know if "flaked yeast" is the same thing as "nutritional yeast"? I went to the HFS to buy some things and was in a hurry because the kids were getting grumpy so I grabbed a bag of what I thought was nutritional yeast but I got home and read the package and it says flaked yeast. It looks similar to nutritional yeast in texture but it's brown instead of the orangy color of the nutritioal yeast. It also doesn't have the cheesy smell of nutritional yeast. I am introducing it to my 8 m/o's diet and I'm not exactly sure what flaked yeast is so I want to find out before I give it to him. I know that he can have nutritional yeast. TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Beginner

nutritional yeast is nutritional yeast-- the package will state it.
#3 Old 12-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Beginner

Ive seen flaked yeast around and have purchased it. I too found it to be off color from the regular nutritional yeast that I am use to. My take is that the flaked variety is the same species of yeast as the nutritional stuff except that it was grown on a lesser medium and has not been enriched. Not 100% sure though...

For the best, healthiest, cheapest and most delicious vegetarian recipes on the web, check out The Cheap Vegetarian @ www.thecheapvegetarian.com
#4 Old 12-29-2010, 03:15 AM
Beginner

i think that in europe nutritional yeast is called yeast flakes...i think it is the same thing or almost the same thing...maybe the colour and texture is different because of the producer...different producers=some differences between products
#5 Old 12-29-2010, 03:18 AM
Beginner

Do you know the brand name of what you bought?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 12-29-2010, 03:38 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Do you know the brand name of what you bought?

Another old thread Jen (2006)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
#7 Old 12-29-2010, 05:29 AM
Beginner

Argh. Thanks.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#8 Old 12-29-2010, 06:22 AM
Beginner

There seems to be an influx of newbies resurrecting old threads a lot lately.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#9 Old 12-29-2010, 07:22 AM
gherkin

I thought it was just jernord.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page