Vegetarian antidepressants? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-21-2006, 02:09 PM

Hi there

Ive just been prescribed fluoxetine,but when I got it,I was reading the booklet and its got geletin in! so obviously I wont be taking it and am gonna go back to the docs asap to get a different one, just wondered if anyones knows any that are suitable for veggies? Ive tried searching online but havent had any luck!

thanks

Bex

x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-21-2006, 02:11 PM

Well, St. John's Wort works well for depression. I think you can get the vegetarian capsules.
#3 Old 06-21-2006, 02:24 PM

When it comes to medication, sometimes it is necessary to use small amounts of animal products because that is how they are made. It doesn't make you any less of a vegetarian. More medications than not involve animal products or animal testing in some way, and unfortunately it's hard to avoid. If your doctor wanted you on Prozac v. any of the other antidepressants, it is probably for a reason. Discuss your concerns with your doctor, but we are not qualified to tell you what a better antidepressant for your condition would be.

Prozac is available in liquid though, if you'd rather drink it than take it in a capsule. I can't say how widely available it is though, or whether it is covered by insurance, or more expensive.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#4 Old 06-21-2006, 02:30 PM

St johns makes me worse! wierd I know but it does! thanks tho!

Yeah I know,I dont take anything thats not herbal normally,and I didnt think at the time to be honest! I wouldnt feel right taking something thats not veggie!

Just wondered if anyone else was on anything that they know is veggie so I had some to suggest to her rather than her giving me somethin else that isnt!

no worries tho,Ill just have to search deeper hehe!

thank u both tho
#5 Old 06-21-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex007 View Post

St johns makes me worse! wierd I know but it does! thanks tho!

Yeah I know,I dont take anything thats not herbal normally,and I didnt think at the time to be honest! I wouldnt feel right taking something thats not veggie!

Just wondered if anyone else was on anything that they know is veggie so I had some to suggest to her rather than her giving me somethin else that isnt!

no worries tho,Ill just have to search deeper hehe!

thank u both tho

Is it in capsules? You didn't mention.

ask doctor is meds are available in a solid (not capsule) form or liquid. Or maybe you can get it in a powder and buy veggie capsules to put the powder in. (you can get them ..not sure all the places that sell them though).

IF not, take the stuff he gave you now.. and just keeping doing your research until you figure out a better solution.

like rabid was saying, it is impossible to avoid some animal stuff..There are so many things you would never dream of that has animal products in it.
#6 Old 06-21-2006, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex007 View Post

Hi there

Ive just been prescribed fluoxetine,but when I got it,I was reading the booklet and its got geletin in! so obviously I wont be taking it and am gonna go back to the docs asap to get a different one, just wondered if anyones knows any that are suitable for veggies? Ive tried searching online but havent had any luck!

thanks

Bex

x

Right, there should be some out there. I've done a search and found that

sertraline tablets, venlafaxine tablets (but not capsules), fluoxetine liquid (but not capsules or tablets), amitriptyline mixture (but not capsules or tablets) and imipramine mixture (but not tablets) should be ok. http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/178/2/184

I've had a look at my cipramil (citalopram) box and the tablets don't contain gelatine. I don't know enough to decipher the rest of the ingredients though.

To be honest though, you may well just have to ignore the gelatin, cochineal or whatever crap they put the in the meds. It doesn't mean you've compromised your beliefs.

Good luck!
#7 Old 06-21-2006, 03:29 PM

That's so ironic..I just went to the doc today for new anxiety meds & the doc prescribed fluoxetine for me as well...didn't even think about the gelatin. I really try not to take supplements w/ gelatin..it kinda freaks me out but sometimes you have to.
#8 Old 06-21-2006, 04:25 PM

I take Celexa. It is the only thing that gets me well from having irritable bowel syndrome (most of the time it prevents it as well I think). I wouldn't think of not taking it as IBS is really bad and I never want to have it again. I don't actually know if it has gelatin in it or not, but if it did I would still take it. Your health and well-being should be the guide for what you decide to do.
#9 Old 06-21-2006, 06:39 PM

i wrote a company about St Johns wort.this is what i wanted to know.

Thank you for contacting Jamieson Vitamins through our webpage.

In regards to your specific request, please find attached the product

monograph for your review. Also find below the non-medicinal ingredients

for the St.John's Wort. It does contain stearic acid for the tablet

coating which is derived from beef and pork and therefore is not

suitable for vegetarians.
#10 Old 06-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Banned

In case you didn't know - St. John's Wort can interfere with the effectiveness of oral contraceptives.
#11 Old 06-21-2006, 07:53 PM

As others have said, DO WHAT YOUR DOCTOR TELLS YOU! To do otherwise is foolish on a matter like this.

I think the idea is to do the least harm possible. (and some would argue that as a by-product, geletin itself doesn't cause harm, but that is your opinion to form).

None of us is "100%" vegan anyway. We use products every day that in some way can, or do, negatively affect our animal friends. Do the best you can, but please TAKE CARE OF YOUR MENTAL HEALTH!
#12 Old 06-26-2006, 03:02 AM

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your replies!

I know you're all right and I shouldve taken it but being the stubborn b*tch that I am I decided not to in the end, the thought of it was too much, especially knowing that its bound to be tested on animals, I feel bad enough compromising that! so went back to see if I could have the liquid form,but my doc said cos of my sleeping problems she wouldnt give me that because it'd probably make it worse as its not slow release, but she was so nice and rang up the chemist for me and found out some veggie ones and now Ive got Citalogram in tablet form which is totally okay!

thanks again to everyone who replied!

Bex

xxx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page