Is Kosher gelatin vegetarian? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Beginner

I love my Yogurt (La Yogurt Sabor Latino) Guava Flavor. Is the best falvor in the world (in my eyes anyways). I read the ingreadients and I got concerned because it has koshe gelatin. What is that?????

Is that a non-animal product???

Thanks,

Carla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Beginner

Sorry, but kosher gelitan is made from fish bones.

If you're looking for a good gelitan-free yogurt, try Stoneyfield Farms
#3 Old 01-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Beginner

Ya its not vegetarian, not necessarily fish bones though.
#4 Old 01-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Beginner

Yeap I just did some search on line, and It's not vegetarian, it comes from catle hade (sp?) something like that. OMG my stomach HURTS now... I'm seriuos
#5 Old 01-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post

Ya its not vegetarian, not necessarily fish bones though.

What else can it be made of? (as an obsessive label reader, I've never seen kosher gelitan from cow or similar type of bones)

ETA: I guess maybe it can be cow based, nvm. I just assumed it wouldn't be cow based I guess because that would make it meat, not parve.

In any case, try not to stress too much over it too much, it's just a little mistake and now you know not to get that brand of yogurt anymore. You're still helping the animals a lot
#6 Old 01-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Beginner

It actually can be plant-based as well. They sell some brand at the HFS by my parents' house that is from seaweed and is labelled (including in Hebrew) as Kosher gelatin.

To be sure, you'd have to call the company and ask.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#7 Old 01-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Beginner

That sounds like carrageenan. Somebody else mentioned carrageenan being labeled as kosher gelatin a while back... that's a real problem because it makes it so much harder and more confusing for us vegetarians to puzzle out when 'kosher gelatin' is vegetarian or animal. Safest bet, of course, is to never eat anything labeled gelatin or kosher gelatin.
#8 Old 01-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Beginner

I ran into the same problem with the gelatin as well.

While checking on that, I found out kosher cheese is not necesarily vegetarian either (certainly not vegam). I thought since the cheese is dairy, kosher cheese would have no animal rennet in it either. However, I checked the Orthodox Union website and they indicated that the amount of animal rennet is so minimal, it is as it didn't exist in it; hence can be considered kosher-dairy. You need to specifically make sure it is rennetless.

I offer this because it sounds like you are going through the same things I have been going through.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page