OUTRAGED! I ate at restaurant that advertised vegan roll and it had eggs in it!!! - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Banned

[B]I ate ate Osaki Sushi tonight. On the menu they have a vegan roll it had eggs in. I callled the manager once i got home because it was take out.The manager said its a vegan roll but how is that vegan. I told the server about my dietary needs so there would be no mix up. How can you call it vegan when its not.I told him the manager you cannot use the word vegan if its not and you cannot use the word if its fashionably correct. I made nyself throw up. The thought of a animal product being in my body makes me sick. I cannot believe a restuarant would be so stupid and careless and care aout my dietary needs or choice. I brought him what the word vegan means when I went back up. On my ticket it says vegan roll and on the menu it says vegan roll. They also have a vegetarian roll listed on the menu as well as a vegan roll. What is the deference between the two?

I am so upset, I've decided to hire a lawyer on Monday. Something needs to be done this is extremely offensive aganist what I believe.I could understand if it didn't say vegan roll, I take that back even if it wasn't on the menu as "vegan roll"and I informed them on my deitary needs I would be offended. I'm sick of people using the word vegan wrong. You wouldn't expect a restaurant to mess this up, especially the word vegan.They specialize in dietary needs. Any suggestions on what to do and go about this the right way through proper channels?/B]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-10-2005, 11:02 PM
Banned

The more I stew on this the more I get pissed.I'm tying to let this go but I'm so upset. If I wanted eggs in my body I would have went up to a chicken. I think its wrong and not moral. Maybe I'm blowing this up but I can't help it. I went vegan for a reason. This isn't right. I feel like no one understands my boyfriend is carnivore he wouldn't understand even if he tried. VB is my only network of people who understand.I need help
#3 Old 12-10-2005, 11:20 PM

Jade, we've all been served non-vegan or non-vegetarian foods in restaurants. Since they serve both a vegan roll and a vegetarian roll, it's entirely possible that some idiot in the kitchen just put the wrong one in your order. Yes, it's upsetting, but the thing to do is (1) don't go back to that restaurant if you don't feel confident they can serve you correctly in the future, and (2) write them a letter explaining why you will not be visiting their restaurant anymore and asking them to please educate their staff regarding the difference between vegetarian and vegan, and not to represent food with eggs in it as vegan. Before you do either of these things, you'd better be damn sure it was really egg in your roll and not some type of tofu product like yuba. I've never eaten yuba, but when I've seen it on Iron Chef, it looks almost exactly like a thin layer of scrambled egg, and I think it is sometimes used in sushi rolls.

In fact, a third course of action (and possibly the best) would be to take the part of the roll that you didn't eat back to the restaurant, speak to the manager, show him the roll, and try to get clarification as to whether you were served the wrong kind of roll by accident or what. Even if you don't have leftovers to show them, it may be worth speaking with the manager, explaining your situation and what happened with your dinner, and asking exactly how they make both the vegan and the vegetarian rolls, what's in them, and how they ensure the two do not get mixed up. Assuming this is a type of restaurant that has a significant vegan customer base, explain to them (preferably in a polite way) that letting eggs get into a vegan customer's order, however it happened, is not a good way for them to do business. If you are never going back to that restaurant again (and I would imagine you are not), the best punishment for them is to know they lost a potentially valuable customer forever because of their carelessness and they they are going to get bad word of mouth from you. I rather doubt it's a good idea or necessary to actually threaten them with bad word of mouth-- they can put two and two together well enough without you saying it.

I do not recommend calling a lawyer. No, it is not nice for them to serve eggs to a vegan, and if they had done something like served nuts to a person with a deadly nut allergy, and that person had died or been hospitalized as a result, THAT would be worth calling a lawyer. But a lawyer is not going to help you because you have no damages, and therefore there's no money to be made. That's assuming you can find a lawyer who doesn't laugh you out of their office. Face it, your cause isn't exactly popular or even taken seriously by 99% of the people out there.

#4 Old 12-11-2005, 12:15 AM
Banned

Tess, thank you for the advice I feel alittle bit better. I talked to the manager when I went back to the restaurant. He had said that the tofu is fried in eggs before being rolled up. He also told me vegans eat eggs . I had google up 5 different definitions for the word vegan all were dummy proof and I gave it to him. I am in shock that a manager thinks vegans and vegetarians are the same. That is what upsets me the most. I think if your going to put vegan on your menu you need to know what it is.
#5 Old 12-11-2005, 12:28 AM

Don't you think you're being over dramatic? I mean people have their orders screwed up all the time, I think you're taking it way to personally. Nothing horrific happened so get over it.
#6 Old 12-11-2005, 12:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade193 View Post

I made nyself throw up.

OK, you're being way too dramatic over this. they made a mistake. Life goes on.

I can understand not finishing the rolls once you found out they had egg on them, but to puke them up? Come on
#7 Old 12-11-2005, 12:49 AM
Banned

At the restaurant its advertised vegan rolls. They thought vegans ate eggs. I'm not going to get over, it was wrong, would give a jewish person pork. I wouldn't have tried the vegan roll, I would have got a cucumber roll. I told them about my diettary needs before ordering. I think I have every right to be upset. I take my choice very seriously. If your going to operate a restaurant you need to know the diference between vegan and vegetarian.
#8 Old 12-11-2005, 12:52 AM
Banned

You can feel how ever you want maybe your comfortable with eggs floating in your stomach but I'm not. The is a reason why I don't eat animal products. I went vegan for a reason.
#9 Old 12-11-2005, 12:52 AM
Banned

So they made a mistake. Educate them and don't go back. It is not a requirement for them to know the difference between vegan and vegetarian.
#10 Old 12-11-2005, 12:55 AM
Banned

If your going to put vegan and vegetarian rolls on your menu, you need to know the difference.Common sense tells you they are not the same. It misleading all this could have been avoided by the restaurant doing a google search before putting on the men. Come on this is California, vegans and vegetarians are every where.
#11 Old 12-11-2005, 01:03 AM
Banned

Quote:

You can feel how ever you want maybe your comfortable with eggs floating in your stomach but I'm not. The is a reason why I don't eat animal products. I went vegan for a reason.

And it's noble that you've been vegan now for...2 months I think? It's great you've decided to be a vegan. But you cannot expect the world to know what veganism is. Just try to learn from this incident. It isn't like you're not a vegan and the last couple of months are for nothing.

Perhaps next time, ask "I don't eat eggs, meat, meat broth or dairy of any kind. Is there any of those products in this dish?" That will avoid any defination issues.

Many people have these kinds of incidents period. "I'm allergic to eggs" got a coworker once vegetables fried in egg whites, since the waitress thought it's the yolks, not whites, that are the problem Or how about the "I don't like seafood" coworker who got a dish of crab soup because "it doesn't taste like seafood". And, of course, the ever thrilling "vegetarians eat fish" discussion. It may seem like it's a vegan issue, but I think you will find anyone who does not eat straight off the menu blindly has these issues.

And just to be silly, but if you were eating meat and went right to veganism, you probably still have lots of meat floating around inside of you

Or, to be sillier, during the summer months, I eat at least 100 flying bugs a day while cycling, more if I go through a sworm.
#12 Old 12-11-2005, 01:07 AM
Banned

Quote:

Common sense tells you they are not the same.

The defination of vegan isn't even common knowledge, let alone common sense.

Quote:
It misleading all this could have been avoided by the restaurant doing a google search before putting on the men.

I'm sure I can find lots of articles on the web saying vegetarians eat fish and vegans sometimes eat eggs.

It was a mistake. Yes, we all think it's a stupid mistake, but we all know what a vegan is by the strictest defination. Not everyone who calls themselves a vegan follows that defination. Which in lies the problem.

I think this is a great learning opportunity for you. Educate them in a polite, non-confrontation manner with some non-offensive material (say something from vegan outreach). Choose to not go back if you can't trust them again.
#13 Old 12-11-2005, 01:12 AM
Administrator

I would have puked on myself and then requested a new outfit as part of the settlement.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#14 Old 12-11-2005, 01:14 AM
Banned

Micheal, that was funny. Would you be upset?
#15 Old 12-11-2005, 01:24 AM
Banned

That you for highlighting that quote I made. Now to prove my quote, google vegan see how much correct information pulls up.

1. Foods with labels contain no animal products,

2.A person who does not eat things from a animal orgin.

3.Strict vegetarian, who doesn't eat dairy, meat, eggs, or deprived products from animals.

4. Someone who doesn't eat animal products or dairy at all,

Sounds like google figured it out, most restaurants have computers with the internet.Google even knew that vegan do not wear leather or silk also.

The point is if you went to a restaurant and ordered a vegan vegetable stir fry, it had chicken in it even though they said it was vegan. You didn't know and ate the chicken you would be upset too. So please don't tell me how to feel or tell me I'm overacting. Eggs, chicken it all comes from a animal. Same difference. Its wrong.
#16 Old 12-11-2005, 01:24 AM
Administrator

Yeah, I'd be upset. I probably just wouldn't go back.

I agree with the others, move on. They don't sound very receptive to feedback and I doubt you have any legal recourse. Maybe if you had an allergic reaction.

Maybe you should submit a letter to the editor of your local paper, generate a little publicity for the restaurant.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#17 Old 12-11-2005, 01:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I would have puked on myself and then requested a new outfit as part of the settlement.

Projectile vomit is the best when done right.
#18 Old 12-11-2005, 01:33 AM
Banned

I've been vegan for 3 months and have had colonics done 3 times. So I know there is not any meat in my stomach.
#19 Old 12-11-2005, 01:35 AM
Banned

Too funny. Lighten up. It was a joke, about the meat. You will burn yourself out by Easter at this rate.
#20 Old 12-11-2005, 01:41 AM

You could egg the place, but that wouldn't be very vegan...

Make sure any veg listings that include the restaurant are aware of this incident, and possibly contact the BBB.
#21 Old 12-11-2005, 01:51 AM
Banned

I am going to write the owner asking him to take the vegan rolls off the menu if he is going to continue advertise them as vegan with eggs. My dad even agrees wth me that you cannot have them listed on the menu as vegan when they are not. My dad owns a restaurant, so I think he would know. He made the comment if i sold beef to a hebrew and told him it was chicken. I would be in hot water. Bottom line its not the way to do business. Vegan or not.
#22 Old 12-11-2005, 02:11 AM
Banned

Quote:

...would [I] give a jewish person pork...

...The more important question is whether you would pork a Jewish person.

...As mad as jade is, ironically I think Omni's get angrier when they get served a vegetarian meal by accident.
#23 Old 12-11-2005, 02:13 AM
Banned

As mad as Jade is, ironically, I think Omnis get angrier when they get accidentally served a vegetarian meal.
#24 Old 12-11-2005, 02:14 AM
Banned

...As mad as jade is, ironically I think Omnis get angrier when they get served a vegetarian meal by accident.
#25 Old 12-11-2005, 05:58 AM

Unless I go to a Vegan/Vegetarian restaurant, I would never trust the word of a server. I do not like veggie meat anyway, but if I cannot see the ingredients for myself and cannot see it being cooked, I am not eating it.
#26 Old 12-11-2005, 06:33 AM
Vegan Police Officer

You make it sound like you've been raped or something.

So the guy doesn't know what vegan means. Instead of yelling at him or taking legal action (sheesh!!!!) just educate the guy.

Puking up your food sounds more gross to me than having eaten a bit of egg unawares. Urgggh!!!!
#27 Old 12-11-2005, 06:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the important lesson here is when you eat out/order take out, always poke through what you're eating first to make sure it all looks okay. You have absolutely no legal recourse whatsoever. I don't think people are saying you're overreacting for being upset because there were animal products in your food that wasn't supposed to contain any, we all get upset over that, but most people don't induce vomiting and threaten to sue. The restaurant owner probably thinks you're a complete lunatic now and isn't taking anything you say seriously at this point.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#28 Old 12-11-2005, 07:04 AM

Quote:

I've been vegan for 3 months and have had colonics done 3 times. So I know there is not any meat in my stomach.

You've had 3 colonics done in 3 months? I dunno, that does not sound like a great idea to me. I just cant see how that can be healthy.
#29 Old 12-11-2005, 07:49 AM

Jade, please read this, from the perspective of someone who is in a Culinary Arts course:

People make mistakes. I was in class one day, and we were all making pizza crust which had honey in it, and a class mate asked me if I wanted my peice without cheese so that it would be vegan. Another time, we were toasting bread, and a classmate asked me if I wanted to put a peice aside: the peice had milk and honey in it. I could go on and on.

And these are people who fully know what a vegan is. I did a project on it and presented it to the class, with the ins and outs of veganism. But still, every day that we are in the kitchen, someone will ask me if I am eating some kind of food.

Now, from my point of view as a vegan:

Many times I have gone to restraunts and ASKED for vegan food, being very spacific as to what foods are vegan and what are not. I havn't always recieved vegan food. So what did I do about it? I passed it to a friend who dose eat whatever the nonvegan product in the food was, and go on with the rest of my meal.

Now when I go to a place that I might stop at more often, I get pickier. For example, when I went to subway, I asked them if I could read the ingrediants in my favorite dressing. Another time, I asked if I could see the ingrediants in their italian bread. Now, I'm not perfect, but as far as I could tell, both the sweet onion sauce and the italian bread are vegan.

So, if you know that your going to a restraunt that you'll stop at often, ask them for a list of ingrediants. If you see anything you don't want to eat on the list, then ask them for another list of ingrediants that they use in something else. The restraunt my not be happy with you, but it's your meal, and they are getting paid to serve it to you, so stay as picky as you want to, if that's what it takes.

And when you do order a roll that says that it's vegan, ask to see the ingrediants anyway. And if they still slip on an egg? Well, ask the watter for a new roll without eggs on it.

In conclusion: someone on this board once said "veganism is a learning process" and I don't know who came up with that, but whoever it was hit right on the mark. Veganism is a learning process for you, for me, and for everyone else on this board. And it's even a learning process for everyone who hears the word vegan for the first time, even if they arn't vegan themselves. If there was a vegan working at the restraunt, then you could hope that he/she would have taken care of your food, or will next time (if there is a next time). It is up to vegans to take care of one another, not up to omnivores to take care of vegans. Whenever you see someone who is served a vegan/vegetarian meal in name, you should protect that person who is being served if you see meat for whatever in the meal. And if an omni serves you? Except the facts that it may not really be vegan.
#30 Old 12-11-2005, 09:57 AM

Quote:

I talked to the manager when I went back to the restaurant. He had said that the tofu is fried in eggs before being rolled up.

This makes me think you may be dealing with a cultural gap. Asians are notorious for thinking that food is vegetarian as long as it doesn't have chunks of meat in it, even if it's cooked in meat broth. MorningCalm and DMZDogs, who both live in Korea, can tell you that. Apparently they think the same thing about foods with egg-- they must think that tofu cooked in egg doesn't count because it's mostly tofu. Clearly this is a mistake on their part-- "vegan" is a western word with a specific definition, and they are apparently applying their usual culinary laxity to it. Frankly, if it was tofu cooked in egg wash, I'm not sure how you even realized there was egg in it.

There has been some good advice here, including alerting local vegetarian groups to the problem, contacting the BBB, writing a letter to a local paper, and providing the restaurant with materials from Vegan Outreach. If they are offering an item called a "vegan roll," that suggests that they consider vegans important customers and they want to please them. So educating them about what vegan customers want may be helfpul. I think Jennifer89 has a good point-- veganism is a learning process for us all, and that includes chefs, restaurant owners, and restaurant staff as well as restaurant customers.

If they know the vegan roll has eggs in it and plan to continue offering it under the name "vegan roll," I agree that's a much bigger problem than a simple order mixup. Other possible things you could do are alert other vegans in your area to write similar letters to the restaurant (I would strongly advise that any letters be polite and educational in tone rather than angry-- most people already think we're insane), or if all of the above has no effect, you could try to get a local news organization involved, especially the people that help with consumer gripes.

I do know how you feel-- not long after I became vegetarian, my former favorite restaurant represented a number of menu items to me as "vegetarian," and only a couple of months later, after I'd eaten them several times, did I find out they were actually made with lard and chicken broth! Similar incidents have happened to many of us. As upsetting as it is, you seem to be putting a lot of energy into stewing over it, which simply isn't productive and only raises your blood pressure. Try to be calm and put that energy into something more helpful, like carrying out any (or all) of the suggestions you've gotten here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page