Hardee's Commercials Offensive? I think so - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Do you find the new Hardee's commercials offensive?
No 0 0%
Sort of 0 0%
Yes 0 0%
I don't watch TV 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-04-2005, 06:17 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-04-2005, 08:10 PM

Normally i am not offended by what the media says about veg*nism in general, but like you said... some of those are just bad...

i have never seen any of the commercials you posted, but that could be for one of two reasons..

1. i like never watch tv

or 2. i am in canada (maybe we don't have the same commercials?)

Anyways... based on what you're saying... the first one, saying that chickens are good for nothing but eating.. that is definitely offensive.

The other 2 didn't particularly offend me, and the 2nd one about the breasts was almost sorta funny (almost).

i find that in general it's best to just let commercials and/or comments like that slide...

and although i have never heard of Hardees... if i ever see one i will think less of it now thanks to you 'thatoneguy'
#3 Old 12-04-2005, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post

2) It shows a chicken with a bar over the breast and the voice says something like "Most states prohibit large breasts on TV". Then it shows the chicken sandwich, and it says "Unless it's on a bun".

I find that offensive, but not because of the chicken.
#4 Old 12-04-2005, 11:11 PM

the first one sounds offensive.
#5 Old 12-05-2005, 12:31 AM

You can see a couple of them Here, the first two. "Censored" and "Chicken Skills", Chicken Skills is the first one I mentioned.
#6 Old 12-05-2005, 02:01 AM

I don't find it offensive, and if I did, so what? The world isn't around to make me feel all warm inside.
#7 Old 12-05-2005, 05:49 AM

So the fact that animals arn't only exploited but mocked too is fine to you? ;/

@ Scythe
#8 Old 12-05-2005, 05:52 AM

That's cool if it doesn't offend you, I just thought it was weird that it did me and I just wanted to see if any others thought so, too. Sometimes recognizing your morals is good.
#9 Old 12-05-2005, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post

So the fact that animals arn't only exploited but mocked too is fine to you? ;/

@ Scythe

Sometimes I call the dog "stupid f**king furball" and he looks at me as if to say "that means you have food right?" So I get the feeling they don't care either. But yes, I'd rather have the 'problem' than the solution, in this case, which would be censorship.
#10 Old 12-05-2005, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post

Has anybody seen the new Hardee's commercials? I find them offensive. If you haven't seen them, here's what I remember from some of them.

1) It shows a chicken and a voice says something like, "chicken sit, chicken fetch, chicken etc." Then it shows a chicken sandwich and the voice says, "There's only one thing a chicken's good for, eating".

I have never seen a Hardee's commercial advertised where I live but I heard about this one on I think an AR podcast and I'm not sure if I'd say I'm offended but just really annoyed I guess.

The fact that they're implying chickens are stupid, pisses me off when in fact they're very intelligent creatures.

So basicly by their logic Its not wrong to eat any creature as long as its dumb, so would that include people?? ......Yeah, didn't think so
#11 Old 12-05-2005, 12:00 PM

Well, I can't add to your poll because you need the choice "I watch TV, but don't have Hardees here"

Never heard of them; what are they?
#12 Old 12-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Baby Love

Kentaros, Hardees is a fast food chain.

I hate all their commercials. The tone of them annoys me immensely. Men are portrayed as mindless grunting creatures that do nothing but 'guy' work alternating with stuffing large hunks of meat into their mouths. The portrayal of animals is just as disgusting. Nothing like a redneck shaking a cow or someone throwing stuff at a chicken to make a person hungry . I realize they aren't going to change. I switch the channel when their adds come on. They'll just never get so much as a cent of my money.
#13 Old 12-05-2005, 10:45 PM
Banned

Well, I don't get offenend because we don't have a Hardee's here. So the commercials don't air here.
#14 Old 12-06-2005, 12:27 AM

Agreed, Jinga!

SavedbytheBlood, I posted a link in my first post that takes you to the videos. You're lucky you don't get them!

I used to eat at Hardees all the time when I was a little kid. My grandpa was a service technician and he would bring me TONS of curly fries! They were good. They used to use the California Raisins in their commercials. Those commercials were actually pretty cool, but these just annoy me.

I did think the one where the redneck is shaking the cow was funny.
#15 Old 12-06-2005, 05:40 AM

Quote:
So basicly by their logic Its not wrong to eat any creature as long as its dumb, so would that include people?? ......Yeah, didn't think so

Logic? Haha! It's an AD. I haven't seen a logical ad for weeks. Some people take life so bloody seriously, it's no wonder people die of heart attacks.
#16 Old 12-06-2005, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe View Post

Some people take life so bloody seriously,

Some also seem to take message board comments "so bloody seriously".

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#17 Old 12-06-2005, 06:28 AM

If you're basing that on my language, you should hear me when something funny happens.
#18 Old 12-06-2005, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe View Post

If you're basing that on my language,

I'm not.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#19 Old 12-06-2005, 06:34 AM

Two years ago in August my husband and I moved from Southern IN to Columbus, OH. Southern IN and Louisville (which was only 20 minutes from us) has Hardee's. There was one less than a half mile from our home. The breast commercial was showing then. I was an omni (though not without conscious; I would see the trucks with chickens headed to the Tyson plant and feel pity for them) and found them cute. MollyGoat made a good point about the woman thing. I found the rest of the commercials gross, seeing that they also portrayed non-meat eaters (or at least those who don't eat at Hardee's) to be ignorant and wussy. Personally, I can't fathom feeding my baby a greasy, processed, fat laden hamburger to my child, in our out utero. Ew.

Maybe Hardee's isn't too keen on vegetarians. After all, we don't give them business. Usually. Last March I went to Florida with a group from school for hurricane releif work. At the advice of the pastor of the church who hosted us, we took state roads through Florida on the way home, which was actually kinda cool during the daylight. Because of the rualness, we stopped at a Hardee's, the main driver was concerned that we may not find anything else for awhile. At the disgust of the other vegetarian (who helped inspire me to change) and I there was nothing but meat and fries and milkshakes on the menu. Because I was hungry and at the end of my transitioning, I ordered a hamburger and fries combo. EW I felt ill the rest of the evening. (To be fair, earlier I had had a not nice phone conversation with my husbnad earlier that evening and I know my seatmate, the other veg, heard because he heard and asked if everything was okay and offered an ear, which I declined then, not sure if I wanted the rest of the groups to hear my marital problems.) That grease did not agree with me. I filled out the comment card and emailed them after I got home. I never heard from them. My friend also filled out the comment card at the restaurant. I never asked if he heard from them either. I probably told them that I would never eat there again, which, living in Columbus, isn't too hard. (I have plenty of vegetarian friendly restaurants in the city, including my own kitchen.) There's a Hardee's in my husband's small hometown, but it's not the only option, especially since I have a MIL who does her best to accomodate my choices.

Just my experiences....
#20 Old 12-06-2005, 06:34 AM

What else in that seemed 'serious?'

Hell, what seems serious in any of my posts?
#21 Old 12-06-2005, 06:44 AM

Thanks Jinga !

As for the content of these commercials, well, there's enough stereotyping coming out of New York advertising companies as it is for me to bother watching them. I'm not at all surprised they are as bad as y'all say. As far as the advertising world is concerned, men don't understand grocery shopping or cooking in a kitchen for that matter, but, give them a barbecue and suddenly they're Bobby Flay! It will be nice when the fantasy world that persists in advertising gets out of the 1950's...
#22 Old 12-07-2005, 01:24 AM

They're just playing into the perception that strong powerful people eat meat (tell that to Carl Lewis). I say write them an angry letter or two telling them you'll never go there again because of the commercial. They get enough of those, it'll get through. You're the one with the money, so you're the one with the power. However, showing a live chicken in a chicken-sandwitch commercial might also backfire. They're reminding people that thier food comes from something that was alive and walking around.
#23 Old 12-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

I have seen the one saying chickens aren't good for anything but eating. Except here we don't have Hardee's but the same commercial was used for Carl's Jr. They must be owned by the same company. Both me & my sister did write them letters showing our disgust for the commercial. Never did get an answer back though. At least they don't show it here anymore.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page