VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (http://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian Support Forum (http://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/)
-   -   Do you fart a lot? (http://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/41465-do-you-fart-lot.html)

Tomotao 11-02-2005 07:02 PM

Every since I have gone vegan I have been farting like a wild man, presumably because of the increase in fiber in my diet. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this upswing in flatulence since becoming vegan/vegetarian, or if I am just some sort of an anomoly.

Furthermore, is farting like the dickens healthy?

rainbow_clouds 11-02-2005 07:15 PM

dan-o 11-02-2005 07:24 PM

I ripped some of the gnarliest farts for the first week I was vegan. Then they seemed to get less offensive.

ren 11-02-2005 07:46 PM

My first two weeks of going vegetarian I farted out of control- I even started just staying at home! LOL It got better though and now I only seem to do it when I eat too much dried fruit... beans and stuff don't affect me anymore.

TangledUpInBlue 11-02-2005 07:51 PM

I've been veg*n for about 3 months now and I definitely noticed being more gassy. Unfortunately, it seems like my gas keeps getting worse. lol... It seems so funny to be talking about this. But at least I know I'm not the only one.

GhostUser 11-02-2005 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomotao View Post

Every since I have gone vegan I have been farting like a wild man, presumably because of the increase in fiber in my diet. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this upswing in flatulence since becoming vegan/vegetarian, or if I am just some sort of an anomoly.

Furthermore, is farting like the dickens healthy?

Hey vegan-fart man. I live right by you. I knew it was you all the time, and not me.

Funny thread.

Vicky 11-02-2005 08:25 PM

well not too bad, but definetly more than i did when i was omni

VeganForHealth 11-02-2005 08:49 PM

More, but they smell better.

Tofu-N-Sprouts 11-02-2005 08:51 PM

Less for me - I'd been vegetarian before going vegan and I KNOW the cheese and milk I used to eat made me ferociously gassy...

WAY better now...

berrykat 11-02-2005 09:44 PM

the first week I went veg yes there was always a cloud around me good thing nobody in the family smokes Now only dairy gives me bad gas. I think your body will adjust over time.

Hummusisyummus 11-03-2005 01:48 AM

I didn't notice a huge difference.

LottaQuilts 11-03-2005 05:22 AM

Funny, I started a thread about this on the "New to..." section.

I only WISH I could fart more.... not to be too graphic, but my problem is more about lots of gas and no farting I'm so bloated that just finding pants to wear at the moment is a problem!

Gas-X is my new best friend.

I'm about a month into this and hoping it will get better soon. Nuts seem to be the biggest culprit for me, so I'm trying to avoid them.

rabid_child 11-03-2005 06:51 AM

The transition was so long ago I don't remember pre and post fart numbers. sorry.

rainbow_clouds 11-03-2005 07:56 AM

I really don't think I fart more.

Amy SF 11-03-2005 08:03 AM

I don't think I fart more often, but now they seem to be a lot NOISIER!

ilovemydragon 11-03-2005 09:08 AM

I dont fart...I Foof.

Lamb 11-03-2005 09:38 AM

I think I farted less when I became vegan, I can't remember for sure... But I think it was less.

Lamb 11-03-2005 09:40 AM

This thread is so funny

Walter 11-03-2005 01:41 PM

When I first went vegan (or vegetarian, I can't remember which) I noticed I was farting a lot more, but after about a month it stopped.

I recently moved into a vegetarian household and since other people have been cooking for me I've been eating different foods and have been noticing that I'm farting more again lately. I'm expecting this new wave of flatulence to calm down soon...

Tesseract 11-03-2005 03:00 PM

I don't know how to answer the poll. The title of the thread is "Do you fart a lot?" and my answer is no. But the actual poll question is, "Do you fart more since going veg?" and my answer is yes, a little more. But still not that much, and they rarely stink.

Tomotao 11-03-2005 04:45 PM

Well, I have been vegan for a year now and vegetarian for a year and a half, and my body still has not transitioned to this fabled fart-free condition.

Goettling. Sweet. Where do you live?

GhostUser 11-03-2005 05:00 PM

Quote:

Well, I have been vegan for a year now and vegetarian for a year and a half, and my body still has not transitioned to this fabled fart-free condition.

Goettling. Sweet. Where do you live?

Independence. Kc area.

TangledUpInBlue 11-03-2005 05:51 PM

Quote:

Darn! I was hoping that some day I might transition too. But I'm really beginning to wonder... I finally broke down and bought some Gas X at the store today.

TangledUpInBlue 11-03-2005 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I don't think I fart more often, but now they seem to be a lot NOISIER!

LOL!!! That just literally made me laugh out loud.

lauratiara 11-03-2005 09:55 PM

Can a third 'I don't do that' option be added to the poll?

( you farters are a gross bunch! )

Zerix01 11-04-2005 04:16 AM

I've heard papya extract will stop gas. I take papya tables when I have heart burn and they work surprisingly well. I've never taken them long enough to see if they will stop gas, but the official usage listed on the bottle is to assist with digestion.

I know GNC has them but I'm not sure if they are veg*n safe, I tend to buy mine at natural food stores.

jj1 11-04-2005 07:18 AM

At one Vegetarian Summerfest during a question and answer I remember someone asking Dr. McDougall about going veg and gas, and in his serious straight faced style said something like "Well, we all know how vegetarians like to express themselves often". He got a big laugh from the crowd.

froggythefrog 11-04-2005 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goettling View Post

Independence. Kc area.

Okay, guys I have to sing one of my favorite song lines (apologies in advance):

"Your eyes are Kansas City. They're in Kansas and in misery..."

sexyjacksparrow 11-04-2005 08:10 AM

I can't remember if that changed when I went vegetarian but during the short time I was vegan I was definitely, ahem, windier.

ilovemydragon 11-04-2005 08:11 AM

PPPppppFfffffffttttttt. pardon me.

jj1 11-04-2005 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemydragon View Post

PPPppppFfffffffttttttt. pardon me.

Oh was that you? I thought one snuck out on me.

eggplant 11-04-2005 08:57 AM

I was always a big farter (a family trait), but since going vegan and giving up dairy my farting has substantially decreased to the point that I don't fart all that much now. I suspect it was dairy all along that made me "windier" than average my whole life. My omni bf, one the other hand, is an extraordinary farter, or as we like to say, he "gets the winds something fierce!" (It's best if you say that in an "old codger" type voice.)

ilovemydragon 11-04-2005 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

I was always a big farter (a family trait), but since going vegan and giving up dairy my farting has substantially decreased to the point that I don't fart all that much now. I suspect it was dairy all along that made me "windier" than average my whole life. My omni bf, one the other hand, is an extraordinary farter, or as we like to say, he "gets the winds something fierce!" (It's best if you say that in an "old codger" type voice.)

Farting is a sign of health. I still ROFL when I hear one too.

tROPICALgIRL 11-04-2005 09:21 AM

This was the funniest thread I think I have ever read! I seriously laughed out loud quite a few times! And the answer is YES! I almost went and got gas X but it only bothers the bf so oh well lol And I just blame the dog anyway!!!

tROPICALgIRL 11-04-2005 09:22 AM

oh yeah...to ZERIX....DEDODEDODEDO sorru just couldn't help it!!! I LOVE that show!

jj1 11-04-2005 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemydragon View Post

I still ROFL when I hear one too.

I've witnessed many times a tense situation broken up because

somebody lets one rip and everybody busts out laughing.

ilovemydragon 11-04-2005 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1 View Post

I've witnessed many times a tense situation broken up because

somebody lets one rip and everybody busts out laughing.

Like a wedding ceremony?

xrodolfox 11-04-2005 09:38 AM

I've never farted a lot.

This topic just reminds me that if I ever go to a "meat up" it should be in an open air space.

GhostUser 11-04-2005 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Okay, guys I have to sing one of my favorite song lines (apologies in advance):

"Your eyes are Kansas City. They're in Kansas and in misery..."

Nope, Missouri side for me.

Gnome Chomsky 11-04-2005 12:35 PM

>>Every since I have gone vegan I have been farting like a wild man>>

No, I simply am a wild-man.

ebola