Sugar vs. Sweet 'N Low/Equal - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-12-2003, 02:12 PM
Beginner

Howdy all.

I recently quit sugar for good. I'd tried several times before, crashing and burning every time. But what made me stop this time was a visit to Scranton, Pennsylvania from NYC to a friends' family pub over St. Pattys day. During the evening, the amount of crappy beer these people were drinking, and the amount of bad food they were eating was just astounding. The sheer size of the people there shocked me into "I can't be that fat!! I won't!!" and promptly quit junk food for good. This was my last big battle. It took a couple weeks to get the addiction out of me, but I'm all the better for it. I feel terrific.

During my transitional 2 weeks, this guy I worked with told me about the difference between sugar and sugar substitutes in the way they break down. Sugar turns into fat but the substitutes don't. SO, i was using Equal a few times just to get me through the sweet craving period, then stopped with that stuff. I don't like the chemicals, but I was determined to stop with the sugar, and it seemed like the way to do it.

I always knew that saccharin (sp?) causes cancer. Ever since the 70's when that stuff came out I knew that. I haven't heard anything about Equal, or how bad it is for you. I always thought it would have to have some sort of side effect, but had never heard anything about it.

We were out with some other veggie friends who are also very politically aware, and they had the pink packet in one hand and the blue one in the other. They said the pink one causes cancer and the blue one eats holes in your brain. "NO WAY!" I said. "Yes." they said. "And you know who we have to thank for this terrific product? Donald Rumsfeld. He helped start this company, so no wonder we've not heard about any of the side effects." This is the same guy who helped mastermind the Iraq WMD deciets and lies, and is getting $200,000 out of that Bush tax cut.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, just mostly wanted to get that information out to youz guyz. Don't use Equal. Don't use saccharin. They're both really, really bad for you.

Also, we need to be carefull of what products we suppport. I'll never use Equal again, knowing that Rumsfeld sees some of the money from that company, (Anything to hurt the administration is okay in my book.)

I guess I just wanted to see what y'alls thoughts were on the sugar/sugar substitues thing. I much prefer natural sources after I quit the big S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-12-2003, 02:54 PM
Beginner

I have never used sugar substitutes except Splenda.

I am quite allergic to aspartame, which is the chemical in NutraSweet and Equal. Hence, I have always been of the opinion that something which invokes such a reaction in my body is not healthful and should be avoided. I just happen to be way more sensitive than most people, although I know of a number of folks who develop headaches when ingesting aspartame.

For some reason Splenda did not cause a reaction, but I have only had it perhaps 3-4 times. I am ambivalent about any kind of sugar substitute, it seems as if people view it as a "magic pill" that can let them eat sugary processed foods and get away with it.

I rarely use sugar, even in baking, so it's not a big issue to me.
#3 Old 06-12-2003, 02:56 PM
Beginner

I thought the Equal thing was overdone... the studies that they did that caused cancer in rats were done with rats that were given 20 times the amount that would be the daily intake. So the usual doses are OK?

PS I hate the fake stuff... I love sugar Congratualtions on your succesful quitting though, I'm impressed
#4 Old 06-12-2003, 03:59 PM
Beginner

Sugar isn't inherently evil. Just don't eat so much of it, and stay away from the refined stuff. Try Sucanat or at least Florida's Natural crystals.
#5 Old 06-12-2003, 04:11 PM
Beginner

I thought Monsanto owned NutraSweet. I had no idea Donald Rumsfeld had anything to do with any of this stuff so I looked it up. Turns out Rumsfeld was CEO of Searle, which was the company that developed Nutrasweet - which was then bought by Monsanto.

Bad stuff all around (and yeah, saccharin won't give you cancer - there have been more extensive studies since the one you're thinking of that disprove the link. I still won't touch the stuff though.)

amy
#6 Old 06-12-2003, 04:50 PM
Beginner

Stevia is perty good stuff! Same with the conspiracy stuff though- the sugar lobby wont let them market it as a "sweetener". It's made from the stevia plant, and sold in natural foodx stores as a supplementer. Bakes well, no nasty chemicals or side effects.

My dad is diabetic, so we have to use something else other then sugar.
#7 Old 06-12-2003, 05:36 PM
Beginner

I like sugar. I don't see why people would want to eat "healthier" by eating more chemicals.
#8 Old 06-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Beginner

I'm in the "sugar is best" camp. I'm addicted to sugar, like most westerners, but I think the alternative of aspartame is worse than sugar. Aspartame is some crazy stuff. It gives me headaches, and it tases really bad, so that's two great reasons to avoid it.

I see no reason to avoid sugar. In fact, I am one of the people who will grab a spoon, and eat sugar straight from the bag!
#9 Old 06-12-2003, 07:42 PM
Beginner

Um, Loki, that might be going just a bit too far.

At least switch to Sucanat!
#10 Old 06-12-2003, 07:48 PM
Beginner

I like regular sugar. It just tastes best when real sugar is used in foods. I haven't tried this sucanat stuff, but as far as sweet'nlow and equal, they just don't taste right. My parents have always told me aspartame is bad so I just keep away from it. I don't eat that much sugar anyway besides fruit. Oh, and soda... I need to stop drinking it so often, i have one almost every day!

When I was younger I'd eat sugar straight from the packets they have at restaurants.
#11 Old 06-12-2003, 07:51 PM
Beginner

when my brother and i were little we used to take a slice of white bread and roll it into a tight ball, then we would roll it in sugar. what the hell where we thinking
#12 Old 06-12-2003, 07:53 PM
Beginner

Sucanat is a less-refined sugar product. It is not a chemical alternative. I highly recommend it.
#13 Old 06-12-2003, 07:54 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally posted by epski

Sucanat is a less-refined sugar product. It is not a chemical alternative. I highly recommend it.

i use this in my coffee. its pretty good.
#14 Old 06-12-2003, 07:57 PM
Beginner

Yeah, I ran out, so I've had to switch to brown sugar until I can get to the store. The brown sugar actually tastes great, but I'd prefer a less-refined sugar in my daily fuel. I use a LOT of sweetener, since I'm usually drinking three cups in one.
#15 Old 06-13-2003, 02:49 PM
Banned

i don't think chemical sweeteners are a better option to sugar.. to control the carb cravings, usually starchy foods and lots of water will do the trick. you get the carbs and some nutrients, without the sugar rush, and you'll feel full faster. if it's the taste you're after, then go for Stevia instead of chemicals.
#16 Old 06-13-2003, 03:03 PM
Beginner

When I was little me and Zachary would take white bread, out cinnamon and sugar on it, and eat it. That was one hell of a sandwich. Of couse, 0 nutrition...
#17 Old 06-13-2003, 03:50 PM
Beginner

keegan, i used to do that too...

of course after toasting it and smearing butter on it

it was damn good

Caroline
#18 Old 06-14-2003, 06:07 PM
Beginner

Yep, good old cinnamon toast. I believe some guy made a cereal out of it once, but can YOU see why kids love it?

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#19 Old 06-14-2003, 07:38 PM
Beginner

Well, one thing that I realized from non-caloric or low-caloric sweeteners is that it makes me crave sweets even more. I see it this way: your tastebuds taste sweetness and your body therefore expects to get some sugar. When it really doesn't it's still in the I-want-sugar mode and you start craving more sugar (or other foods). So when I gave up artificial sweeteners I ended up being satisfied with the moderate sweetenss of apples for example and my cravings went down a lot.
#20 Old 06-14-2003, 08:07 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally posted by Loki

I see no reason to avoid sugar. In fact, I am one of the people who will grab a spoon, and eat sugar straight from the bag!

#21 Old 06-14-2003, 10:15 PM
Beginner

I would like to point out that no matter what foods you consume, you are eating chemicals. All food is made out of chemicals. Some are good, and some aren't, but don't try to avoid ALL chemicals!

I'm a confessed sugar addict. There are certain baked goods that I love made with Stevia and sucanat, but the sugar-using products tend to be my favorites. Especially ice cream and cookies. I'm trying to cut back on excessive sugar consumption, but it's hard.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#22 Old 06-14-2003, 10:20 PM
Beginner

Ohhhh man... this isn't good! I typed out that message, and now I remembered that there's ice cream in the freezer. Must think healthy, must think healthy....

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#23 Old 06-15-2003, 03:29 AM
Beginner

Heehee I love my soy delicious mocha fudge. Pretty healthy too.,

Stevia is available in different forms, some fluffed with lactose ( uh oh) or not at all. Sucanat is wonderful and expensive. I luuuv its flavour. LIke molasses....
#24 Old 06-17-2003, 05:35 PM
Beginner

Sugar makes you age quicker. The way it attaches to your cells makes them expand and contract in such a way that it's bad for your skin and gives you wrinkles.

Another reason why I quit! Seems like a general waste of money to me. Does nothing good for you and makes you age quicker than you would without it. Molasses is extracted from sugar cane and has calcium, thyamin and iron, where sugar is the leftovers with none of that in it. It's supposed to help your digestive system, too.
#25 Old 06-18-2003, 04:44 PM
Beginner

Sugar is bad. sugar substitutes are even worse. Splenda causes cancer also.

You should only be consuming natural sugars but not the processed ones.
#26 Old 06-18-2003, 11:29 PM
Beginner

Any non-refined sugar is best for me. I am me
#27 Old 06-20-2003, 05:35 PM
Beginner

I'm not big on sugar, but I drink coffee every morning and I must have sugar in it. For many years, I used the pink stuff and didn't understand why I had such awful headaches. Now I usually just use Raw Sugar. Any thoughts on it? I'll have to check out Stevia, I'm sure the co-op has it.
#28 Old 06-20-2003, 09:55 PM
Beginner

My favourite chemical in food is C6 H12 O6 (I think that's right!)
#29 Old 06-21-2003, 03:49 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally posted by luna

I'm not big on sugar, but I drink coffee every morning and I must have sugar in it. For many years, I used the pink stuff and didn't understand why I had such awful headaches. Now I usually just use Raw Sugar. Any thoughts on it? I'll have to check out Stevia, I'm sure the co-op has it.

I use either Sucanat or organic sugar from Trader Joes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page