now say that we DO NOT test any of our home or personal care products on

animals.

We will continue to work for alternative methods by participating in

industry and scientific programs as well as to support legislation that

promotes the elimination of animal testing. We will share your comments

with the appropriate staff.

Thank you for your interest!

Your friends at Suave"

I guess they must have just switched over cause they're listed as testing on animals still on other websites. I think that's great they stopped!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-13-2005, 09:08 AM
Beginner

That is great. Thanks for the info.
#3 Old 08-13-2005, 09:14 AM
Beginner

I was eying the wording of the letter with considerable suspicion, then saw:

Quote:
We can now say that we DO NOT test any of our home or personal care products on

animals.

Well that's pretty darn clear.

Because of the wording, I am wondering if they have other divisions and if animal testing is used in those. (curious)
#4 Old 08-13-2005, 01:28 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrrrl79 View Post

I guess they must have just switched over cause they're listed as testing on animals still on other websites.

I suspect the people who run those websites are used to being decieved so they take their time in verifying such claims. I'm glad not testing on animals is moving into the mainstream, though.

#5 Old 08-13-2005, 02:02 PM
Beginner

I think it's good also, that they have stopped animal testing. However, I'd like to point out that their shampoos/conditioners are pretty cruddy for your hair, and leave a ton of buildup in it.

(sorry, but I've personally seen someone take the edge of barber shears and slide it over a person's hair that was a Suave user. The shears removed a coating of wax that was pretty thick. Nasty stuff! )
#6 Old 08-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Beginner

That's awesome!

Brandon - Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of their shampoos/conditioners myself
#7 Old 08-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Beginner

That's good to know. I've never been a huge Suave fan but it's very economical. Usually, it's the more expensive brands that don't do animal testing. At least now there's a cheaper choice for those ethical veg*ns who are short on cash.
#8 Old 08-13-2005, 05:40 PM
Beginner

Until this is really checked out, I wouldn't believe it just because they say so in some careful wording. Unilever/Helene Curtis Industries has their hands in a lot products. While it's true that you may be the first person to discover this, I'm not convinced without more information and checking. It may also be that they have their ingredients (i.e. not their finished products) tested by another company like HLS or Covance, for all we know.

ETA: but I think it's great that you wrote to let them know that people are concerned with this issue.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#9 Old 08-13-2005, 06:00 PM
Beginner

But Unilever is much, much more than Suave. It is the entire Dove line, too. Plus:

Ponds, Axe, Lux, Rexona, Signal, Sunsilk, Cif, Comfort, Domestos, Omo, Radiant, Surf, and a whole bunch of food products like Knorr and Bertolli (among others).
#10 Old 08-13-2005, 08:30 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post

It is the entire Dove line, too.

WHOO
#11 Old 08-13-2005, 08:48 PM
Beginner

So, does that mean Dove isn't tested on animals either, or is the non-animal testing just for Suave for now?
#12 Old 08-14-2005, 01:05 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrrrl79 View Post

Check this out, from Suave who tested on animals:

"Thank you for writing!

Unilever shares your concern over this important matter regarding animal

testing. We are committed to the elimination of animal testing, and have

recently made significant progress toward meeting this challenge. We can

now say that we DO NOT test any of our home or personal care products on

animals.

We will continue to work for alternative methods by participating in

industry and scientific programs as well as to support legislation that

promotes the elimination of animal testing. We will share your comments

with the appropriate staff.

Thank you for your interest!

Your friends at Suave"

I guess they must have just switched over cause they're listed as testing on animals still on other websites. I think that's great they stopped!

Oh, no! I didn't know they *did* test on animals! I've been buying my Cocoa Butter/Shea Lotion from them forever. I feel so bad.
#13 Old 08-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Vegan Police Officer

Watch out for Dove products. Most contain beef tallow.
#14 Old 08-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

Watch out for Dove products. Most contain beef tallow.

Gross. At least we don't use Dove. I use Tea Tree stuff for my hair and I'm not sure what soap. Hmm. Irish something.
#15 Old 08-14-2005, 01:20 PM
Beginner

damn, i wish dove was vegan. It was a perty good shampoo. Good news about suave though...
#16 Old 08-14-2005, 01:51 PM
Vegan Police Officer

I don't think there's beef tallow in their shampoo. I can't find the latin name for beef tallow. Does anyone know? (The ingredients on products are I think sometimes deliberately designed to confuse us.)
#17 Old 08-14-2005, 02:48 PM
Beginner

I am 99% sure that that company buys from a company that sells ingredients which are tested on animals.
#18 Old 08-15-2005, 07:38 AM
Beginner

Other than home and personal care products, Unilever also produces lots of foodstuffs:

Ben & Jerry's

Bertolli

Breyers

Good Humor

Hellmans (Best Foods)

I Can't Believe it's not Butter

Klondike

Knorr

Lawry's

Lipton

Popcycle

Promise

Ragu

Shedd's Spread Country Crock

Skippy

Slim Fast

Wishbone

It's possible that they still do voluntary (or mandatory) testing on additives for some of these food products.
#19 Old 08-15-2005, 07:44 AM
Beginner

From Unilever's FAQ site:

Quote:
What is Unilever’s policy on animal testing?

Unilever understands and shares your concern about this most important and complex matter. We are committed to the challenge of eliminating animal testing for our business. Our position has historically been that we do not test any finished home or personal care product on animals, except where required by government regulation. However, as part of our ongoing commitment to eliminate animal testing, we recently reviewed these specific government regulations against the products we manufacture and market. In line with our commitment to eliminate animal testing, as of October 2000, we can definitively state that Unilever does not test home or personal care products on animals. Our first priority continues to be to our consumers, and where required for safety reasons, we will have to carry out limited tests on some ingredients and food products. However, we will not use animal testing when there is an accepted alternative test or existing safety information available. We will continue our work for alternative methods by participating in industry and scientific programs, and we will continue to support legislation that promotes the elimination of animal testing.

Since they claim that they have not tested since 2000, but they are still on the "Companies that Test" list that PETA produces, I would have to assume that they are simply contacting their testing out to Covance or some other 3rd party vivisectionist.
#20 Old 08-15-2005, 07:51 AM
Beginner

Now I don't know what to think.

Suave used to be my favorite brand. Over the past couple of years, I've kinda stocked up on the stuff because I would get the products on sale with a double coupon, making the product free or well over half off. (I still have a coupon for $1.50 off one of their salon products, which, at Wal-Mart, another place I don't particularly care for, would be almost free.)

However, if what they say is true about the personal care stuff, I'll continue to buy them. If it is true, I'll also go to the natural foods store and buy some natual stuff too, and alternate. I still lke the Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo. Eh.

Blech.

I buy some of the foodstuffs. Thanks for the list. However, as with the Suave, most of it is bought on sale with double coupons. Mostly Lipton, Ragu, and Country Crock (sometimes, I don't have a coupon, but the sale price is cheaper than the store brand; I'd like to start buying something healthier tyhan margarine, but I don't think my husband would budge...) So I'm getting stuff for free or about half off. Yay.

Thanks for the information, all.
#21 Old 08-15-2005, 08:00 AM
Vegan Police Officer

#22 Old 02-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Beginner

Ok, so products themselves aren't tested on animals but what about the individual ingredients?  How do we know that they aren't going using an "umbrella" company to do the animal testing?  Since they claim to not test on critters anymore what methods ARE they using now?  And what about the other Unilever brands? I will not believe they stopped this atrocious practice until I see the "Cruelty-Free Logo" on their packaging.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page