Why is honey/beeswax not vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-15-2005, 04:27 PM

Hi, I am going to ask what is probably a stupid question. Why is honey not vegan? I don't really know how bees make it, and I don't know how it's harvested, so please be gentle

Do people abuse the bees?? Oh, I hope not, bees are SO CUTE.

Anyhow, why are honey and beeswax unvegan?

TWG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2005, 04:48 PM

Honey comes out of bees mouths, wax is secreted through the abdomen. Vegans don't eat it because it comes from another living being. They refer to honey as "bee puke". Sounds appetizing, doesn't it!
#3 Old 07-15-2005, 04:52 PM

They kill a lot of bees in the process. Transporting them, gathering honey, they kill the queens on a regular basis so the hive won't move, and they also kill entire colonies. The bees can also harm the local ecosystem. Or so that's what I hear. Good enough for me.
#4 Old 07-15-2005, 05:49 PM

Wow. Bee puke. That really IS appealing. *she says with great sarcasm in her voice*

I never knew that. I'll never look at honey the same again.
#5 Old 07-15-2005, 06:59 PM

Our bringing European honey bees with us everywhere has caused a lot of native species of bee to become endangered or go extinct.

I also think that since their winter food storage becomes human food, the hive is burned at the end of the season.
#6 Old 07-15-2005, 07:33 PM

Products made by bees are not vegan because they're made by bees. Bees are animals. Doesn't matter how many are killed or how they're treated in the process. Doesn't matter if they "like" to make it. They're animals. You can't have animal products being called vegan. That's what the non-honey-eating vegans say anyway.

However, I couldn't care less if you eat honey and you call yourself vegan. If eating bee products is ok in your personal ethics, then go for it. I think the actual term is apian rather than vegan though.
#7 Old 07-15-2005, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astarte View Post

Products made by bees are not vegan because they're made by bees. Bees are animals. Doesn't matter how many are killed or how they're treated in the process. Doesn't matter if they "like" to make it. They're animals. You can't have animal products being called vegan. That's what the non-honey-eating vegans say anyway.

Actually, I've heard people say that if something is willingly given (like breastmilk, for example) it is considered vegan, but there is no way to prove that bees want us to take their honey.
#8 Old 07-15-2005, 10:20 PM

Poor bees.
#9 Old 07-15-2005, 10:27 PM
Kiz

As an above poster said, beeswax and honey are bee products, bees are animals, animal products are not vegan, therefore beeswax and honey are not vegan. Wether or not they are unethical is another issue. Bees (honey bees that is) do cause a negative impact on the environment in Australia, for a wide variety of reasons, but again, that is another issue altogether.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#10 Old 07-17-2005, 12:14 PM

Thanks for your info, everyone. I don't really eat honey much and I don't use anything with beeswax in it, but I was just curious.

TWG
#11 Old 07-18-2005, 02:30 PM

like with small farms as compared to factory farms, not all bees (and therefore not all honey and wax) are treated the same.

if you're interested in these sorts of products, there are alternatives. the so called 'really-real-raw honey' and the 'really-real-raw beeswax' is a local favorite here, run by a hobbiest. he doesn't burn hives or kill bees and what not. very interesting stuff.

i would love to keep bees myself--not so much for the honey and wax, but just to keep bees. i love bees. they're amazing creatures.
#12 Old 07-18-2005, 02:42 PM

They really are amazing creatures. The apple orchard where I used to work kept bees to pollenate the fruit trees; I used to visit them and watch them fly in with loaded pollen baskets, and out with bare legs. The scent of a working hive is amazing. It's like honey and beeswax, but there's something indescribable blended in. I'd keep bees just to be able to smell it.
#13 Old 07-19-2005, 01:08 AM

I'm not convinced that beekeeping is an ecological threat. I've heard the opposite, that even one State in the US was sponsoring a beekeeper program because the bees are responsible for pollination for so much agriculture and they have been suffering from a mite problem which means less bees, less pollination, less food supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by News Article View Post

Consider this: honey bees pollinate a third of the human diet, more than 50 crops valued in excess of $20 billion, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Carl Hayden Bee Research Center in Tucson, Ariz.

That includes almonds, apples, peaches, pears, cherries — most things that are grown to eat besides grains and potatoes.

Reference - gazettetimes.com/articles/2005/07/19/news/business/sunbiz01.txt

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#14 Old 07-20-2005, 06:30 PM

I've posted this before, because I think it is an informative reason why honey isn't vegan

http://www.vegetus.org/honey/honey.htm
#15 Old 08-02-2005, 06:54 AM

Yeah honey is regurgetated between the bees and so it is, essentially bee vomit. Bees are kept soley for their honey production - similar to cows being milked. Honey is not meant for human consumption, it is nutririon for the bees. This is why I don't consider it vegan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page