Burt's Bees - Is It Vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-13-2005, 07:41 PM
Beginner

I'm not all out vegan yet, but I'm just curious if Burt's Bees products are considered vegan.

Any help on which makeup/body products are considered animal cruelty free, and vegan both?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Beginner

I'm only familiar with the chap stick, but doesn't most of it have beeswax/honey? I thought that was pretty much their sales pitch.
#3 Old 07-13-2005, 07:51 PM
Beginner

I'm not sure. I saw the brand in our local Walgreens and didn't get a chance to look at the ingredients. But duh to me - yes, Burt's Bees might indicate that it has beeswax in it. HELLO! Sorry, I'm new to all of this and still learning.

P.S. Strap a band around my head that says - Dumbass!
#4 Old 07-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Beginner

take it easy on yourself, alright ?
#5 Old 07-13-2005, 07:56 PM
Beginner

Yeah almost all of their products contain beeswax.
#6 Old 07-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Beginner

There are tons and tons of all natural products that don't contain animal products in them. Many linked to on VB! As others have said, don't beat yourself up, you're just learning!

What kinda products are you looking for, dylansmom? Perhaps we can help suggest tried and true alternatives?
#7 Old 07-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Beginner

I guess mainly thinking of makeup. I've used Covergirl stuff a lot up until now, and have some Rimmel eye liner, and various brands of lip liners too. I also have a lot of Avon lipsticks as well.

Does anyone know if any of these brands are cruelty free?

I'm not completely vegan yet, but knowing that I'm using something that hasn't been tested on an animal would make me feel a whole lot better. I'd be a major hypocrite to not eat meat, but still use products that are tested on them!

I guess I need to really start thinking about everything that we use on a daily basis. There's so much! Secret deoderant, Rave hairspray, Gilette deoderant for hubby, a lot of Watkins products (since I sell it) which I think they are animal cruelty free on their cleaning products and such, contact lenses and solution, and so many others.

I guess as a newbie to this I feel so overwhelmed to do my part right away. It kind of feels overwhelming when you're first learning, because I want to do my part for animals and the earth in EVERYTHING that I do and use. Phew!!!
#8 Old 07-13-2005, 08:31 PM
Beginner

What I suggest you do is, when you run out, buy a new one that's animal free. Makeup, hmm, have you tried mineral makeup? You can buy it at Cosmo's Vegan shop. I hear it works really well, and it's actually good for your skin!

Here's a page about Vegan Makeup I found doing a google search

http://www.morbidoutlook.com/lifesty...ncosmetic.html

If you have one in your area, you may just want to go to a healthfood store and just look at all the options for everything and make notes of things you'd need to buy there once you ran out.
#9 Old 07-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Beginner

You might look into Kiss My Face products. I believe all their products are vegan. I use the shampoo and conditioner and like it just fine (and I'm very picky about shampoo and conditioner).

http://www.kissmyface.com/Index.pasp

*this space not for sale*
#10 Old 07-13-2005, 08:59 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylansmom View Post

I'm not sure. I saw the brand in our local Walgreens and didn't get a chance to look at the ingredients. But duh to me - yes, Burt's Bees might indicate that it has beeswax in it. HELLO! Sorry, I'm new to all of this and still learning.

P.S. Strap a band around my head that says - Dumbass!

Don't worry about it. I've been doing this for 13 months and still slip up sometimes. It's a learning process.

Best makeup ever: Lip Ink

It's expensive, but worth it (they MEAN simi-permanent), and if you check the site every so often they have some nice sales. Plus, if you send in your empty vials of lip color they refill them for $7.50 and pay the return shipping. So the lip color isn't too expensive in the long run. It's the eyeliner that runs me dry
#11 Old 07-13-2005, 09:05 PM
Beginner

Almost all Burt's Bees things have beeswax, and some have lanolin, too.
#12 Old 07-13-2005, 09:05 PM
Beginner

#13 Old 07-13-2005, 11:47 PM
Beginner

I might be wrong but I think I've seen milk products in some of the Burt's Bee's lotions, too.

Check out my website. I sell certified Vegan cosmetics at a discount for VB members.
#14 Old 07-14-2005, 12:21 AM
Beginner

#15 Old 07-14-2005, 10:00 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by April View Post

Lanolin is what again?
#16 Old 07-14-2005, 10:12 AM
Beginner

Lanolin is from sheep's wool right?
#17 Old 07-14-2005, 10:16 AM
Beginner

Very nice products Sally!
#18 Old 07-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Beginner

Thank you very much I am quite proud of Arbonne!
#19 Old 07-14-2005, 08:11 PM
Beginner

No, not all of Kiss my Face products are vegan, some have royal jelly and honey, I believe....Maybe other byproducts.
#20 Old 07-15-2005, 04:39 AM
Beginner

i've heard some stories about some products (although i don't think it was burt's bees) for instance, tom's of maine toothpaste uses propolis in their products but claim it comes from abandoned hives

so, if this is true, i guess morally speaking there's no problem if vegans want to use it... however, if you're going to spend this much money on a natural tooathpaste, you may as well buy jason's or some other product that definitely does not have animal products in it (but don't get me wrong, i'd rather someone use the abandoned beehive toothpaste than like, crest, or some other company that uses animal testing)
#21 Old 07-15-2005, 10:09 AM
Beginner

I think most (if not all) of the Body's Shop's stuff is vegan. I buy most of my personal product's at Trader Joes, lots of vegan stuff and cheap.
#22 Old 07-15-2005, 10:21 AM
Beginner

Body Shop's Hemp Face Protector is awesome!!!
#23 Old 07-15-2005, 10:24 AM
Banned

Burt's Bees isn't vegan, but I wish it was. Just do some research, and you'll find what you're looking for.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You're gonna mess up from time to time, and that's ok. If everyone were perfect, we would all be bored!
#24 Old 07-18-2005, 08:07 AM
Beginner

I mentioned Burt's Bees stuff on your other thread before I found this one. I like the Burt's Bees products that I have now, but I may or may not buy more in the future. I'm not totally opposed to the use of animal products (yet, as I still drink cow's milk), but if my only options were Burt's and Chap Stick, I'd go with Burt's.

I'm trying to move away from non-vegan or at least non-animal tested stuff. When I was in NYC last week, I thought I was out of deoderant. My only option was to go Walgreen's and buy the Suave which was the cheapest at $2.49 and the most I've paid for deoderant. (I tried CVS, but the brands they had on sale for $1.99 were not on the shelf.) I had brought some trial things of Secret that were foamy things. I thought I had brought one for each day, but I couldn't find the last packet. So now I don't have to buy deoderant for awhile, as I already have a couple of almost new sticks at home. (I assumed that it is deoderant and anti-perspirant as well, but Saturday, my blouse was wet.)

Okay. I'm babbling again. Thanks for the suggestions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page