VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Going Out to a Restaurant for Breakfast - Vegan Options?

58K views 45 replies 29 participants last post by  Mr. H. 
#1 ·
A couple times lately I've been invited out to breakfast, or wanted to take my kids, or my sweetie, out for breakfast...

What sorts of options have people found for breakfast, in restaurants, as a vegan?

What do you order - what restaurants - or TYPES of restaurants - do you choose?

Since there's next to NO choices around here, I usually opt for oatmeal - maybe they have soymilk, and fruit... but thats about it...

I'd be interested in other people's experiences...

#2 ·
Breakfast is the worst, IMHO, in terms of restaurant meals.

I almost always end up with a piece of toast (maybe) with jelly or PB... some fresh fruit.... maybe some fried potatoes.

In general, I find my best breakfast options are usually at a "buffet" type place--either family dining or a chain like Shoneys. These types of buffets almost always include fresh fruit and a salad bar even at breakfast time.

Overall, I've resigned myself to eating mostly fried potatoes (sometimes), toast and fruit when I breakfast out. Boring.

It sucks. I used to LOVE to eat breakfast out. Now I avoid it unless absolutely necessary.

#3 ·
There's always toast, hash browns, fresh fruit salads, smoothies, bagels...can't think of anything esle.

I'm a veg*n so I can go just about anywhere for breakfast. But I'm not a big fan of going out for brekkie tho. I usually can only handle a small amount in the morning and I'd rather eat either oatmeal or cereal anyway so there's no point. I'm sure others may have better responses, I guess.

#4 ·
Bagel with peanut butter, or jelly (or both!) Hash browns, fresh fruit, cereal (bring your own soymilk), juice, toast, english muffins (not sure if they are usually vegan?) That's all I usually got out for bfast even before I was veg*n because I'm allergic to eggs ;-) I hardly eat bfast anyway ;-)

#5 ·
Sometimes when I go out to breakfast, I eat at a place that makes a veggie scramble with home fries. I just have them leave the egg and cheese off, and it's pretty good. Depending on the restaurant, you could probably get sauteed veggies with hashbrowns or homefries. When I eat out at my favorite vegetarian restaurant, I usually have some variety of tofu scramble or vegan pancakes.

Beyond that, I don't have anything to add to the list that everyone else hasn't already said.

#6 ·
I usually go for fruit since that's what I eat normally. Potatoes are good, too -- you can ask them to cook it in oil if you're afraid of them using butter (which they usually do). I hate eating out for breakfast because I'm usually not very hungry in the morning, but my brothers and sisters love eating out in the morning... ugh. I get by.

#7 ·
It all depends on what they have. The last place we went to though, had little to nothing that I could pick from, so after verifying that nothing was cooked in butter, I went with the veggie omlette, minus the eggs and cheese, whole wheat toast, no butter, and the hashbrowns, cooked in oil please.

It was one of the best brekkies I had ever had.

#8 ·
I don't get excited about going out to eat for breakfast, I prefer cooking it myself. But, assuming I have to, I get:

- Tea (I can drink black tea unsweetened, or with raw sugar, but I can't do it with coffee. Most places don't have soymilk, from what I've seen)

- Fruit bowl

- Hashbrowns/home potatoes, though you have to ask the usual questions about milk, lard, butter, etc. There's a place around here that does them on a separate surface and uses just vegetable oil and spices.

- Once I found a place that had a vegan nutloaf. It was so good, it was a tiny loaf with walnuts and other stuff in it, warm, and so very yummy.

- Sometimes you can get toast with some jam.

#9 ·
I just took a 3 day road trip from California through Arizona, NM, to Texas, so all we had to eat at were greasy breakfast places and Dairy Queens...it was tough. I basically lived off of fruit platters with no yogurt/cottage cheese, oatmeal, and toast. I tried to keep it healthy, but I got so hungry I started eating my friend's french fries at one point. I do with they made vegan options for breakfast...I miss waffles and pancakes....=)

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGirl View Post

I just took a 3 day road trip from California through Arizona, NM, to Texas, so all we had to eat at were greasy breakfast places and Dairy Queens...it was tough. I basically lived off of fruit platters with no yogurt/cottage cheese, oatmeal, and toast. I tried to keep it healthy, but I got so hungry I started eating my friend's french fries at one point. I do with they made vegan options for breakfast...I miss waffles and pancakes....=)
That was the worst part about going for vegan for me. The meat, the cheese, the eggs, all that I could give up. But for god sakes, don't leave me without my pancakes! I favorite thing in the world was to go out to get Pancakes at IHOP, Dennies, or Friendlies, but now I can't. I have learned to make a pretty good batch myself, but it's still not the same as going out and getting them with hashbrowns and oatmeal.

That's another thing you can get btw, oatmeal.

#16 ·
Well, come for a visit, and we could go out for a chapati roll, a variety of bagels with hummus, or a variety of different burritoes. Of course, if we just take the short trip to Froggy's, he can cook up some delicious vegan pancakes with blueberries, blackberries, or other choice decadent berry of the day.

#22 ·
I'm pretty much a fruit-only person when it comes to breakfast, so as long as I can have that, I'm satisfied. Hash browns and the like are nice, but not necessary.

As long as they're not giving you thawed frozen fruit, I expect most restaurants that serve breakfast would do ok at serving you fruit. Even canned can be ok-tasting.

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Well, come for a visit, and we could go out for a chapati roll, a variety of bagels with hummus, or a variety of different burritoes. Of course, if we just take the short trip to Froggy's, he can cook up some delicious vegan pancakes with blueberries, blackberries, or other choice decadent berry of the day.
Rumor has it Froggy makes a pretty good apricot sauce for pancakes... and I AM rather partial to raspberries too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.